CIS Mail Bag: Week 4

View as article
Interesting what-if from @k9cane on hiring Gary Stevens instead of Erickson. No reason to believe Stevens would not have had a successful run. Steve Walsh would have stayed for 1989, and I believe UM wins a 12-0 NC (instead of 11-1). Of course, a pro-style offense would have remained in play, rather than Erickson’s one-back offense. Stevens wins 2 NCs, maybe 3, IMO.

And whose to say Stevens stays at The U longer than Dennis? With a similar success arc, the NFL would have come calling. Maybe Butch still ends up at Miami, but without the probation? But then, why believe Stevens would have prevented the Pell Grant scandal.

Another question: Johnson took a number of his assistants to Dallas. Why not Stevens?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think the problem with adding IC’s is how do you get back down to 85.. Let’s say a team is at 85 already and then has a large amount of players come back because this year doesn’t count ,let’s say 10-12 ,then you can have an additional 5 IC’s that gives you roughly 100 players give or take.

How do you ever get back down to 85 ? Unless you have a HUGE Sr class one year to offset those IC’s there’s no way to ever get back to 85 unless I’m missing something.Do you cut back IC’s for a couple years to get things back to normal.

I think the problem with adding IC’s is how do you get back down to 85.. Let’s say a team is at 85 already and then has a large amount of players come back because this year doesn’t count ,let’s say 10-12 ,then you can have an additional 5 IC’s that gives you roughly 100 players give or take.

How do you ever get back down to 85 ? Unless you have a HUGE Sr class one year to offset those IC’s there’s no way to ever get back to 85 I’m missing something.Do you cut back IC’s for a couple years to get things back to normal.

I think what makes the most sense is keep the 25 IC limit and get rid of the 85 number for a few years until the rosters even out. The free year of eligibility is going to impact rosters for a while though.

I think what makes the most sense is keep the 25 IC limit and get rid of the 85 number for a few years until the rosters even out. The free year of eligibility is going to impact rosters for a while though.

I kept trying to figure out how to get back to 85 and it’s going to be hard enough with the guys coming back.

If they raise the limit how do you make it equal cause you have a lot of young teams out there that may not have many Srs that would return then other teams that may have as many as 20-25 Srs that could possibly return .

So let’s say they keep the 25 IC’s. Let’s say Bama Is at 85 now and has 15 Srs that want to return and 10 that go to the NFL,quit whatever.Now they have 75(85-10 that left)+ 15( srs that return) + their 25 IC’s For 2021 = 115 players
Now let’s say Miami only has 5 Srs that come back and 20 Srs that go to the NFL or quit.They now have 65( 85-20 that left) + 5 (Srs that came back)+ 25 IC’s = 95 players.

How do you give Bama 115 players and Miami 95 players ? This is a scenario that may happen maybe not this extreme but similar. How do you even out the rosters?

Gonna be tricky for the next few years with this year not counting and you can bet there will be teams looking for loopholes no matter which way they go.

Advertisement
Interesting what-if from @k9cane on hiring Gary Stevens instead of Erickson. No reason to believe Stevens would not have had a successful run. Steve Walsh would have stayed for 1989, and I believe UM wins a 12-0 NC (instead of 11-1). Of course, a pro-style offense would have remained in play, rather than Erickson’s one-back offense. Stevens wins 2 NCs, maybe 3, IMO.

And whose to say Stevens stays at The U longer than Dennis? With a similar success arc, the NFL would have come calling. Maybe Butch still ends up at Miami, but without the probation? But then, why believe Stevens would have prevented the Pell Grant scandal.

Another question: Johnson took a number of his assistants to Dallas. Why not Stevens?
Stevens turned it down. His vision was to stay in Miami, and said after he took the Find job that he wanted the Canes head position or a coordinator spot with the Dolphins (under Shula, so the same offense that he had with Schnelly).

Ironically, Jimmy was the one that fired him from the Dolphins years later.

Stevens turned it down. His vision was to stay in Miami, and said after he took the Find job that he wanted the Canes head position or a coordinator spot with the Dolphins (under Shula, so the same offense that he had with Schnelly).

Ironically, Jimmy was the one that fired him from the Dolphins years later.
Thanks for the background info.

Tell that to Atilla, my bookie.
Oh man. I hear Atilla is a real son of a hun.

1601816700630.gif

Advertisement
The simplest Thing is to just say that guys that would normally be out of eligibility don’t count towards the 85...

Advertisement
Back