CIS Mail Bag: Midseason Edition

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
We are on the eve of game #7 and things are pretty bleak around Coral Gables. We have a smaller bag than usual but it's still packed with discussions on coaching changes, vacations, and how to cope with this football season. Enjoy!

@JD08: Will we ever have a championship team again?

The despair we are all feeling is real. We have an incompetent administration who, to this point, has refused to fully invest in the football program. We have an AD who has dragged the 3 major sports downward to the depths of mediocrity. That’s a lot to overcome to get back to national prominence but it can be done. A change at AD and a renewed interest in the football program from the suits could land us a legitimate high-level P5 coaching staff and from there, anything can happen. Find a coach who can come in here, set a culture, produce multiple 10+ win seasons and our recruiting would take off like never before.

@JD08: For next summer's vacation, the options are London or VRBO in the lower Appalachians. My kids are in their teens. Which should I choose?

This is an easy one for me and that’s the Appalachians. I’ve never been to London nor do I have any plans to visit but what’s the draw there? They have a queen. Cool. They have giant clock. Okay. They have warm beer. Gross. Stay in the US of A and enjoy the outdoors with your family and an ice cold American brewed beer.

@SCarolina Ibis: Is Andrew's undying love for all things Manny a sick form of trolling or not?

I honestly don’t know what to make of Andrew’s unbearable defense of Manny and this coaching staff. The first post I saw I thought it was 100% sarcasm but he’s been very consistent, which is hard for trolls to do. At this point, defending Manny should be an infraction which I’m not sure if @RVACane has the power to do but nothing like a good mutiny to spice things up.

@SCarolina Ibis: What is the holdup with firing Manny? I can't come up with a single reason to keep trotting him out there at this point. If it’s because "the coastal is still in play" wtf are they going to do if he wins it at 7-5?! The whole "needs an embarrassing loss" excuse is bull(non-sense). Their goal should be to prevent their university from being publicly shamed and embarrassed. So again.. I got nothin.

If I was in charge, and I'm sure many other Canes’ fans feel the same way, Manny would have been officially gone by now. There's no benefit to keeping a lame duck coach. The University of Miami, the past 15 years or so, has been slow to make changes even when the obvious is staring them in the face. I’m trying to put myself in the shoes of an incompetent athletic administration...we’re 2-4 so maybe things turn around and we can get to 8-4. We can still win the Coastal which was the goal all along. The players haven’t quit...My goodness, when did the expectations drop so low for a program that was at one point the most dominant dynasty in the game. A loss this weekend and we’re at 2-5 with a best case of being 7-5, a fireable offense in year 3 in my oh so humble opinion.

@Eric The Midget: Can the moRds slow down on banning people on Saturday?

For my own sanity, I tend to avoid the boards immediately after losses so I’m not aware of the banning fiasco you are referring to. I also don’t want to **** off the mods and get banned myself so I’ll just say the CanesInsight message board, faults and all, is the greatest message board in the history of the internet.

@TerragonSix: I was told that going from a Pro Style Offense to a Power Spread would alleviate our offensive line woes. So, why does our offensive line continue to look so bad despite moving to another style of offense and having a veteran unit?

The move to a spread wasn’t a cure all, so I’m sorry to say you were lied to. Should it have helped? Absolutely. However, no offensive scheme is going to overcome poor development, lack of talent, and bad recruiting. All that experience we brought into the year was irrelevant because the players don't get better. Our best OL was Rivers before the injury, a guy with nearly 0 experience. What does that say about all the Jrs/Srs on the roster? The technique, the communication, and that attitude just isn't there for this group. Want to fix the OL? Get a new coach and about 3-4 portal guys for next year.

@ben: Give us your predictions: next head coaches at LSU, Southern Cal and Miami.

USC: James Franklin- He’s been mentioned way too much and I think he finally sees he can’t get over the OSU hump. USC should have an express lane to the playoff every year with the only competition on the west coast being Oregon.

LSU: Dave Aranda- This is a tough one but I don’t see Lane Train going there or a big name like Jimbo due to what he has going on at A&M. Aranda knows LSU and in a short time, has Baylor looking real good. Might not be the sexiest hire but the guy can coach.

Miami: Mario Cristobal- He’s from Miami. He can be the hero. He’s a name that everyone, including our pathetic administration, can get behind. Makes too much sense. Also, if he is indeed the guy, that means moves were actually made within the athletic department for the better.

@No Fly Zone: I'm looking for a new way to spend my now open Saturdays. Any ideas?

I mentioned despair in the first question and this team/program has ruined Saturdays for most of us. For UNC, my wife asked me if she should put my 1 year old in his Miami gear. I sighed and replied “No thanks.” It’s just not fun anymore.

You have 2 alternatives to Miami football on Saturdays. You can tune into some games (I’m not going to name the teams because it makes it hurt even more) and watch competent football or find something non-football related such as taking a cooking class, going for a hike, cutting the grass, or watching paint dry. All better than being tortured by this team.

@Liberty City El: Realistic Head coach candidates not named Mario Cristobal or Mark Stoops?

We discussed 12 names throughout the last few CanesInsight Live Youtube shows. Two of those were Mario and Stoops. Some others mentioned that are not realistic were Urban, Freeze, and Fickell. The remaining names were:

Bill O’Brien
Lane Kiffin
Tom Herman
Greg Schiano
Billy Napier
Bill Clark
Jeff Hafley

There's plenty of other names out there like Aranda who was mentioned as a candidate for LSU. I know people have their guy and will defend them to the very end or oppose a guy with everything they have but I see a lot of good football coaches out there. Are some a better fit than others? Probably but my #1 priority is finding a known commodity that you know will have the team prepared week in and week out. Those are the guys that will stabilize this program and give us a chance to compete again.

@jackedaround: Has running a 4 2 5 scheme ruined our ability to have depth at the LB position as well as attract LB recruits?

No. Our horrible development, bad recruiters, and defensive philosophy has ruined the ability to attract top LB recruits. Manny has been here for 5.5 seasons and has 1 4th rounder to show (Shaq Quarterman). Plenty of teams run a 4-2-5 and have good LB play. We choose to have our DL fly up the field leaving the LBs on an island against OL. Add to that we have G5 quality guys out there and you have a recipe for disaster.

@CaneBear0207: Do you know of any good 12 Step meetings for UM football? I've hit my bottom with this ****.

It’s a tough time to be a Miami Hurricane fan. A veteran team, weak ACC schedule, and another offseason championship all but guaranteed a successful 2021 season. This has been the most disappointing season in a loooooong time with the expectations we had.

Trying to find a silver lining or a bright spot here, we have 6 games left with plenty of young talent to watch and be hopeful for. We may even see a mid-season coaching change which is exciting but more importantly, provides optimism for the future. If you can hold out until then, you’ll bounce back a lot quicker than you think. Brighter days are ahead my friend.

Advertisement

@SCarolina Ibis: What is the holdup with firing Manny? I can't come up with a single reason to keep trotting him out there at this point. If it’s because "the coastal is still in play" wtf are they going to do if he wins it at 7-5?! The whole "needs an embarrassing loss" excuse is bull(non-sense). Their goal should be to prevent their university from being publicly shamed and embarrassed. So again.. I got nothin.

If I was in charge, and I'm sure many other Canes’ fans feel the same way, Manny would have been officially gone by now. There's no benefit to keeping a lame duck coach. The University of Miami, the past 15 years or so, has been slow to make changes even when the obvious is staring them in the face. I’m trying to put myself in the shoes of an incompetent athletic administration...we’re 2-4 so maybe things turn around and we can get to 8-4. We can still win the Coastal which was the goal all along. The players haven’t quit...My goodness, when did the expectations drop so low for a program that was at one point the most dominant dynasty in the game. A loss this weekend and we’re at 2-5 with a best case of being 7-5, a fireable offense in year 3 in my oh so humble opinion.
017E7AF6-757C-4D8E-8B43-59E0375018D4.gif

RE: Recruiting LBers. It’s not just the scheme or on field issues. It’s incompetent and disorganized recruiting.

A 5* LB recruit this cycle asked 3 different coaches, all described by him as LB coaches, what he would be doing if he came to Miami. He got 3 totally different answers… and thats when we lost out on that 5* LB we all wanted.

Advertisement
USC fans can't be too happy with Franklin showing what he often is right now against mighty Art Sitkowski. At Pedo State too.

Advertisement
Back