Christian Williams to Portal

If he was fourth? - get his *** outta here!

Fourth . . . that's not the kind of "depth" we need.
I believe him but then I would ask the question what the **** are our corners asked to do? It’s a loaded question.. but the answer is not much..we don’t even let our guys press man lol they’re walked up for no reason

Advertisement
Couch is a very talented cover guy but he won’t be playing to his strengths either in this scheme. So if Ivey looks good in practice I raise my eyebrow because the real him shows when it matters

I don’t think it is that people are terrified of freshmen playing significant, it is that we didn’t recruit guys that are ready to play as freshmen. They are projects. So it comes back to recruiting both in numbers and talent at CB.

That aside, we were not ok last year - we won 6 games and one of our corners in specific had a heavy hand in some of the losses. They didn’t bench him, they didn’t recruit to replace him, and they left themselves open to this very foreseeable situation.
We won 6 games last year because our offense was a joke. Even with thin depth and younger players potentially in the rotation, our CB room is still the best in the coastal, and light years better than either of the C-USA teams we lost to last year. Without Christian Williams, this is still a top 25 defense.

Let’s say blades balls and gets a 3rd or 4 th round grade and declares.
We’re gonna trot out ivey and Dunsons’s slow *** with some 160 lb corner to go defend Leary Brooks and Hall.
Add on whatever 3 star dude we poach or find amongst the palmetto bushes somewhere in the sticks ?
Fckng unbelievable!!!

Advertisement
Shouts out to Blessingstoyou for reminding of an old post that's even more relevant now for the crybabies, fast forward to the 20min 15sec mark:

People crying over losers and crybabies!

This is bizarre any way you slice it. If you can't convince the 4th CB on your team, a True Soph in a free eligibility year no less, he's RIGHT THERE from a chance to prove he's a boss, something is deeply wrong.
I keep hearing he wasn't UM material. So which is it. Convince a bum to stay or cut your lose and get better with a local prospect or someone who actually doesn't bounce in a free year. This is why LSU was good cutting bait. They knew what we didn't know.

Actually it’s the opposite I’m afraid. We have trash overall cornerback play and other 4 star kids are leaving.. why would be my first question
In a normal situation, I'd question it too. But this isn't like VT or Nebraska where there's a mad rush to the door. The most likely scenario in my opinion is that he asked about PT and was given an honest assessment. It ****ed him off enough to bail immediately. The only other reason to make the jump now is major behind the scenes stuff going on that you have to get away from. We haven't had any indication that's the case.

Advertisement
explosion nothing to see here GIF

I hope Clarke and/or Dunson both very athletic with speed and the staff has praised their abilities can pull it together real fast for this year.

Advertisement
Rhett tells his position coaches who he wants starting at the skilled positions?

Baker doesn’t? It’s Rumph?

Advertisement
are you sure its rumph who decides who plays?
Then what does he do? He’s not responsible for recruits who will play the position he coaches. He’s not responsible for which corners play. He’s not responsible for Ivey continuing to suck.

What’s his responsibility?

It’s not always about just depth. Rumph is not a good coach. Why would someone want to be coached by him

The same reason someone would want to be coached by Patke. We won the NC in 2001. Their Mommy and Daddy skeeted with every score back then. Glory stories.

I think most of us are ok with Rumph the coach....it's just that Rumph the recruiter is so ******* bad at his job that he's making life difficult for his alter ego.

He shouldn't be allowed to recruit the position anymore. Period. Let Ed Reed talk to these kids.

No, no; I’m not OK w/ Rumph, period. I don’t give af he’s an alum. I’ve been calling out our DB recruiting & play for a while. The CBs don’t get their heads around. His best coaching yr was 2016....Each yr, our DBs have gotten progressively worse.

Dean-Buns

Bandy-Started off great, fell flat

Ivey-Cheeks

Jackson-Went from 2nd - 3rd round grade his Jr yr, to barely being drafted his Sr year (he came back to improve his draft stock)

Delaney-Went from a 4th round draft grade from The Citadel, came to Miami to upgrade his draft status, went undrafted b/c he was *** here!

Blades is the only CB that shows any promise.

Rumph can’t recruit, and he’s an mediocre coach, and I stand by that. If he wasn’t on the 01 squad, ya’ll (not u, per day) wouldn’t keep making excuses or keep using the “he’s a good coach” narrative. Somewhere UABs WRs is still roaming free.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back