Christian Williams to Portal

I think we're all jumping the gun. Lets wait until we get the real story before passing judgment. It could have been something he did, or not. We just don't know yet.

The story doesn't even matter. He couldn't beat out Ivey BEFORE the season started.

The bigger issue here, and what this situation is a reminder of REGARDLESS of the story, is that Rumph sucks at his job. He OWNS that abomination of a depth chart at CB.

Advertisement
Politely, this is an incredibly stupid argument. The numbers and depth on last year’s team were not acceptable, so being better than last year is not some great feat. That’s not even getting into the fact that Ivey simply is not good enough, we have two true freshmen that are apparently not ready, and lost Bandy who was not a world beater last year, but would have been either the best or second best corner on this year’s team. The room is beyond a mess and truthfully, you almost need to try harder to find yourself in this spot at Miami than having an appropriate room. Last year was not acceptable and this year is worse.
Haha you’re right it did come off stupid now that I re-read it. But my point is we were ok last year and I would take this CB room over last years. Some people seem to be overreacting, Williams may have ended up being our 4th corner this year. And people seem terrified of freshmen playing significant snaps, but sometimes freshmen outplay upperclassmen. Bottom line is I think we’ll be fine.

The story doesn't even matter. He couldn't beat out Ivey BEFORE the season started.

The bigger issue here, and what this situation is a reminder of REGARDLESS of the story, is that Rumph sucks at his job. He OWNS that abomination of a depth chart at CB.

the worst part is williams basically saved his job...and.....he doesnt fill him up wth atleast 20+ snaps last week

Why? If they recruit well enough for 2021 it shouldn't be an issue. We've just got to get through this season and no transfer will help us with that.
I really didn't have an answer lol. Just thought someone could logically explain if we should or shouldn't. But you saying "if" they recruit well.... Based on the targets that's left, that's a BIG IF. We don't have much left to get at CB.

You want too transfer ore quit beefour or after the season, eye have know problem with that. Ewe quit after the season begins, you should have dam good reasons. Williams might have good reasons, eye don't no. Lack of playing time or depth chart knot what aye wood consider a good reason after the season has begun.

Advertisement
Rumph's gotta go...

There's no more defending him, he's just not getting the job done as a CB's coach.

From the misses in recruiting, to the failure to develop, the refusal of holding Ivey accountable & now our depth takes a hit, it's just time for a divorce.

Great Cane, but I'm sorry business is business & we're going on year 4 of this & it's not getting any better.

not that I disagree, but Baker sucks worse than Rumph and you keep him. Rumph made ballers outta dudes when Manny was coaching the D and now he stinks? The entire defensive scheme is cheeks and the CBs are the ones who get exposed the most because we don't press the pocket enough.

You want too transfer ore quit beefour or after the season, eye have know problem with that. Ewe quit after the season begins, you should have dam good reasons. Williams might have good reasons, eye don't no. Lack of playing time or depth chart knot what aye wood consider a good reason after the season has begun.

What now? Captain Jack Sparrow over here.....

not that I disagree, but Baker sucks worse than Rumph and you keep him. Rumph made ballers outta dudes when Manny was coaching the D and now he stinks? The entire defensive scheme is cheeks and the CBs are the ones who get exposed the most because we don't press the pocket enough.

I think most of us are ok with Rumph the coach....it's just that Rumph the recruiter is so ******* bad at his job that he's making life difficult for his alter ego.

He shouldn't be allowed to recruit the position anymore. Period. Let Ed Reed talk to these kids.

Haha you’re right it did come off stupid now that I re-read it. But my point is we were ok last year and I would take this CB room over last years. Some people seem to be overreacting, Williams may have ended up being our 4th corner this year. And people seem terrified of freshmen playing significant snaps, but sometimes freshmen outplay upperclassmen. Bottom line is I think we’ll be fine.
I don’t think it is that people are terrified of freshmen playing significant, it is that we didn’t recruit guys that are ready to play as freshmen. They are projects. So it comes back to recruiting both in numbers and talent at CB.

That aside, we were not ok last year - we won 6 games and one of our corners in specific had a heavy hand in some of the losses. They didn’t bench him, they didn’t recruit to replace him, and they left themselves open to this very foreseeable situation.

Advertisement
Why? If they recruit well enough for 2021 it shouldn't be an issue. We've just got to get through this season and no transfer will help us with that.
It will be an issue. Anyone not named Marshall will need development. Already some are calling for Curtis to switch back to WR. That leaves only Tim Burns. Brown is not the gimme that everyone believes. Who else is out there that's realistic? We going to have to go to the portal again, but this time it has to be a grad transfer. They're hit and miss.

Last edited:

bruh the corners aren't even covering people half the time, coach macho has already pointed this out.

WR's are WIDE open on half the snaps

hes the **** cb coach yalls top asking this question. If he doesnt pick which cbs he want, doesnt recruit, why is he even here. He is responsible for his rotation. ..if it wasnt the case he might as well be a ga.

Right, that's my point exactly. If he's solely responsible for continuing to run Ivey out there, then yeah he might as well not be here.

I really didn't have an answer lol. Just thought someone could logically explain if we should or shouldn't. But you saying "if" they recruit well.... Based on the targets that's left, that's a BIG IF. We don't have much left to get at CB.
Makes sense. I just don't know about getting a portal CB now and use up an IC.

And yes, it's a very big IF.

Advertisement
It will be an issue. Anyone not named Marshall will need development. Already some are calling for Cutis to switch back to WR. That leaves only Tim Burns. Brown is not the gimme that everyone believes. Who else is out there that's realistic? We going to have to go to the portal again, but time it has to be a grad transfer. They're hit and miss.
Seems like if my name is Markevious Brown, the U is looking better and better.

It also sounds like we're now changing our strategy based on the weakness of our CB coach. That's a warning sign that change is needed. Policies shouldn't have to accommodate personalities. When they do, those personalities better bring something unique and irreplaceable to the party.

Eh, this is kind of a big deal, no? If we're not careful, we're going to end up playing a Safety at CB.
Does Brian Monroe have any eligibility left! Did I get that name right? I had nightmares for a year that our punter was going to have to play a position (I think it was WR depth that was frightening at the time).

Advertisement
Would a new CB coach really make that much of a difference when it comes to landing these top south Florida CBs?

Obviously, Miami needs to move on from Rumph, but what real impact would this have? Feel like the last 5 top CBs we missed out on were guys who got the bag.

Advertisement
Back