Christian Williams to Portal

Yeah like I said, not sure if he can actually play or not and I'm not one of those dudes who assumes the backup is better just because the starter is bad. The bigger issue is that there's nobody to fill his spot. I guess one of the true freshmen will get #4 CB reps but neither of those guys was expected to play much this year. Maybe moving Frierson back to corner isn't out of the realm of possibilities now?
Let's say for argument sake the backup is worse than the starter, if that's the case then that's just a failure in evals & recruiting.

No matter which way the Rubix cube is spun, it always lands on bad job by whoever is responsible for acquiring & coaching CB's.

Advertisement
guys on this board love manny but we struggle recruiting linebacker and corners and he has been hear for a half of a decade... not sure what more evidence people need

@DMoney has a point. We hear Couch might be starting, during camp we even heard Dunson and Clarke's name. Seems like Williams was lost in the mix. He hustled hard on ST and to leave after one game might mean we dont know if its something person. Maybe Harrel will play some CB

Ill say this again, this is 1995 with Nick Ward all over again -- in other words, ready or not, get the young guys ready to play. They really have no choice at this time.

Live by the portal, die by the portal

Advertisement
I’ll say this..CB is premium spot. U can’t foresee Transers tho. Idc what y’all say. We lost bethel in the portal..now Williams. That’s 2 bodies in 11 months. We brought in 2 pup who likely aren’t rdy.
Understandable but when you look at the misses we've had, Ivey not improving, no bodies at that position, etc.... Yeah this is ALL on Rumph. There's no way in **** MIAMI should be having problems at a skill position.

Advertisement
I’ll say this..CB is premium spot. U can’t foresee Transers tho. Idc what y’all say. We lost bethel in the portal..now Williams. That’s 2 bodies in 11 months. We brought in 2 pup who likely aren’t rdy.

Bethel was brought in because we missed on everyone else. He was never a cb, nothing about him said cb but his speed. Most of the kids in Sfla said he was the toughest cover out of the wr’s, but we brought him in as a very raw cb prospect. Another example of ****** recruiting leading to horrible depth. Now watch him ball out at wr at Colorado.

The odds of bethel being a good forever were slim. But we were desperate.

People aren't blaming the staff for a True Soph decision to hit the Portal, people are blaming the staff for being ill-prepared for an obvious situation on the horizon due porous recruiting.

Expecting younger Corners to sit on the bench behind a player they see consistently not play well & thinking they are going to just be happy with it & wait for 3 years before they see the field is not adaptive to the modern era of the game.

CB is not like OT or DT where you can't play as a TF/TS, there are dozens & dozens of young corners who play right away & excel all programs all around the country, the sit & wait your turn philosophy doesn't work at CB anymore.

If the staff had no plans on playing the young guys they should've got a GT CB months ago, so in event Ivey continued to be terrible in coverage like he is & one of your younger CB's decided to transfer you'd have a contingency plan in place to help mitigate the loss of depth.

It's poor roster management by whoever is in charge of the CB room & it's been happening for 4 years now.
I agree it’s poor roster management at that spot..but my post wasn’t refuting those who have that point and have been saying it. It’s the ones who are acting like Williams was a AA being held back behind 8 and 7. Kid was about to rotational for this year without question. But decided to transfer🤷🏾‍♂️..you know how these kids can be bruh. If we had brought in a legit GT this kid probably leaves sooner if anything tbh.

Bethel was brought in because we missed on everyone else. He was never a cb, nothing about him said cb but his speed. Most of the kids in Sfla said he was the toughest cover out of the wr’s, but we brought him in as a very raw cb prospect. Another example of ****** recruiting leading to horrible depth. Now watch him ball out at wr at Colorado.

The odds of bethel being a good forever were slim. But we were desperate.
Wasn’t bethel one of our longest tenured commits from that class?? If I’m mistaken correct me

Before anyone begins piling on a kid for being 4th on the depth chart I’d like to remind people that potential and ceiling are a thing when it comes to evaluating talent at any position. Remember when we had another DB from bama Mike Jackson. Not a peep from him his first couple years on campus to the point he was being written off here. You can’t spin your way out of losing this kid. This staff has an issue working in young talent. Look at the lb situation, Rousseau last year, etc.

It’s ok to hold the staff accountable for what reeks like incompetence.

Advertisement
Let's say for argument sake the backup is worse than the starter, if that's the case then that's just a failure in evals & recruiting.

No matter which way the Rubix cube is spun, it always lands on bad job by whoever is responsible for acquiring & coaching CB's.

Das it right here. TBH, it's not a huge surprise to me. Seeing him as the punt coverage team gunner blocker last year left a lot to be desired. Struck me as a kid who was not terribly athletic for the CB position. That said, your point is spot on. It's an indictment of the staff but it does NOT start with Rumph, it starts with Diaz.

Having this type of quality and depth at corner back at this school considering where it’s located is the most unforgivable offense ever for any coaching staff in the past 40 years.

It’s like giving molly to every stripper at 8pm and by midnight your the only one that isn’t crushing cheeks and you haven’t even gotten a lap dance.
Fact.....dominant OL or DT, maybe...but corner is inexcusable by any standard in SFLA.

Bottom line, freshman have to play, whether they are ready or not

Kinda reminds me of Nick Ward in 1995, where he was thrown in the fire. As @thefranchise said, lets see Rumph is this great technical coach some say he is

this reminds me of the year when clappy larry coker had to play our punter at WR because of similar mismanagement and bad coaching

Advertisement
guys on this board love manny but we struggle recruiting linebacker and corners and he has been hear for a half of a decade... not sure what more evidence people need
I don't think we struggle THAT bad at linebacker. It's just unfortunate that our top guys we bring in always get hurt and miss valuable time. Steed, Jennings. Brooks was also coming off of an injury when he got here.

If you dont see the issue with a player leaving at a razor thin position in a year with covid, and one injury away from freshman running 4.9 playing against WR like Tutu, Tamarrion Terry, the goons at Clemson, etc.. yeesh
He doesn’t run a 4.9. Stop it.
That being said there is nothing I have seen from ivy that shows me he is a ACC starting CB. You don’t win big starting kids like Harley and Ivy

Someone on the Miami Fan page is saying there’s more to this and has nothing to do with playing time.

We've swung and missed more than Rob Deer with vertigo at cornerback

Is that on Rumph Well, maybe not in terms of Williams leaving but that CB room is empty like a WNBA game...

But I think there is a greater issue in todays college game with the portal. The days of a guy like Herbert James waiting around to play after 4 years and then become a decent starter (1991) are basically over it seems like. Kids have a quick clock in terms of
getting out there and playing. Maybe CW got homesick, who knows.

There is no doubt this position has been completely mismanaged and ill-recruited

Regardless, get the kids ready, besides this season wont count against their eligibility anyways...

Advertisement
Back