Chris Lykes likely OUT for the season

King of Allapattah

LET'S GO CANES!!!
Premium

University of Miami point guard Chris Lykes, who has missed the past 17 games with a left ankle injury, is “unlikely” to play the remainder of the season, coach Jim Larranaga announced on a Friday teleconference.

Lykes, a preseason All-ACC selection, returned to full practice in recent weeks, and it appeared he would rejoin the lineup, but each time he is set to return, he suffers a setback. Larranaga confirmed Lykes will not play in Saturday’s noon home game against Georgia Tech, and said he probably won’t be back this season.

Asked about Lykes’ future with the team, Larranaga said: “I talk to Chris Lykes regularly. In recent conversations we’ve talked about him resting the remainder of the year. We’ve also talked about what his options are for the future. The three possibilities every player will have are turn pro, remain at the school you’re at because the NCAA has made it clear everyone gets a pass on this year, or because the transfer portal has made it very, very easy for players to transfer, there will be a major market for transfers.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Best to just pretend like there was no Miami Hurricanes basketball 2020-2021 season
See Ya Goodbye GIF by Mountain Dew

Advertisement

University of Miami point guard Chris Lykes, who has missed the past 17 games with a left ankle injury, is “unlikely” to play the remainder of the season, coach Jim Larranaga announced on a Friday teleconference.

Lykes, a preseason All-ACC selection, returned to full practice in recent weeks, and it appeared he would rejoin the lineup, but each time he is set to return, he suffers a setback. Larranaga confirmed Lykes will not play in Saturday’s noon home game against Georgia Tech, and said he probably won’t be back this season.

Asked about Lykes’ future with the team, Larranaga said: “I talk to Chris Lykes regularly. In recent conversations we’ve talked about him resting the remainder of the year. We’ve also talked about what his options are for the future. The three possibilities every player will have are turn pro, remain at the school you’re at because the NCAA has made it clear everyone gets a pass on this year, or because the transfer portal has made it very, very easy for players to transfer, there will be a major market for transfers.”
I wonder about this one. No doubt the injury was significant, it just seems off somehow.

2018 Bruce Brown.

Remember Bruce hurt his foot in January and could have returned in March but he was held out by Coach L so he would be healthy in time for the NBA combine and pre draft workouts.
He is doing the same thing with Chris.
Let's say goodbye and thank you to all the seniors as they have nothing else to prove or do at Miami.
Let's all move on in every way.

Advertisement
2018 Bruce Brown.

Remember Bruce hurt his foot in January and could have returned in March but he was held out by Coach L so he would be healthy in time for the NBA combine and pre draft workouts.
Let's say goodbye and thank you to all the seniors as they have nothing else to prove or do at Miami.
Bruce Brown's situation was completely different from Lykes'. Chris isn't NBA ready. IF he leaves Miami after this season, he's going to another school or overseas. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think he sniffs the league for at least a few more years, if ever.

Bruce Brown's situation was completely different from Lykes'. Chris isn't NBA ready. IF he leaves Miami after this season, he's going to another school or overseas. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think he sniffs the league for at least a few more years, if ever.

I think going overseas for a couple hundred thousand tax and expenses free is a good situation.
Shane Larkin is making over a couple of million dollars right now tax and expenses free.
Plus, his game is not going to change so coming back does not benefit either party.
It is time for all of the seniors to move on.

Advertisement
I think going overseas for a couple hundred thousand tax and expenses free is a good situation.
Shane Larkin is making over a couple of million dollars right now tax and expenses free.
Plus, his game is not going to change so coming back does not benefit either party.
It is time for all of the seniors to move on.
Imagine next year's roster if all of the seniors do indeed move on

Wong
Beverly (ugh)
Walker
Timberlake
the 3 freshman guards (one of which still hasn't signed, anyone know what's going on there?)

We'd have SIX open spots!

Imagine next year's roster if all of the seniors do indeed move on

Wong
Beverly (ugh)
Walker
Timberlake
the 3 freshman guards (one of which still hasn't signed, anyone know what's going on there?)

We'd have SIX open spots!

It is up to the coaches to fill out the roster with the available scholarships.
Actually, only two of the three recruits signed their NLI.
Technically, there are 7 open scholarships.

It is up to the coaches to fill out the roster with the available scholarships.
Actually, only two of the three recruits signed their NLI.
Technically, there are 7 open scholarships.
I noted that in the above. The point being, if all or even most of the seniors decide to not come back, our roster is in dire shape (as it stands right now) for next season.

Advertisement
2018 Bruce Brown.

Don't know why a NBA team would draft a under 5'10" point guard who hasn't played in over a year, and who has suffered multiple injuries over the last couple of years ?

Some clarity on Beverly's situation:

Starts at the 40 second mark.

Hurt his back in December, and had an MRI that determined it was a herniated disc (it actually sounded like Jim said "discs" plural, but the audio's a little unclear). He got a shot (cortisone?) to numb the pain, and played through it because they were shorthanded, though he literally couldn't even sit down. Now that the effects of the shot have worn off, he can't play.

None of that sits well with me. You played a guy through a back injury because you had other injuries? Back injuries just aren't something you mess around with. Keep in mind, Kam hurt his hamstring against FGCU around this same time. Despite being clearly injured and noticeably limping, the coaching staff decided it was a good idea to send Kam back into the game with 3 seconds left when the outcome had already been determined.

I'm no doctor, but that looks like 2 mishandled injuries this year alone. Real mystery why we have so many guys hurt :rolleyes:

He isn't an NBA player and he never will be. His future is overseas regardless of what he does next year. If I'm Chris, going pro is the only option.

Don't know why a NBA team would draft a under 5'10" point guard who hasn't played in over a year, and who has suffered multiple injuries over the last couple of years ?
Truth be told Lykes is closer to 5'8" than he is to 5'10", might even be 5'7" if we're being honest. I'm usually not one to crush one's dreams and tell them they can't do something, but if someone forced me to pick today, I too don't think Lykes makes it to the league. Just based on skill alone, I don't think he does anything at an NBA level. At his size he's got to be a dead eye 3-pt shooter, which he's not. He's an above average defender, but I wouldn't say he's a lockdown guy at his size. Very good ball-handler and a good passer, but I don't think good enough to get him in the league. Best case scenario for him would be overseas or G league for a few years, then with an improved game gets a shot.

Advertisement
Back