Chris Herndon--Mike Mayock's 2018 NFL Draft position rankings

Advertisement
Some mock drafts have him going to the Phins in the 4th round. May not be there at that pick.

Could you imagine the Phins finally picking a Cane for a position of need. This guy is going to be a very good Pro. Above average blocker with very good hands and faster than people think. I could see the Patriots taking a gamble on him early because of all this Gronk retirement talk.

Advertisement
If he didn't suffer the injury, he'd be no lower than 3rd TE off the board (Goedert, Gesicki, Herndon).

Overaged, below average athlete, little production Hayden Hurst is some wild buffoonery as TE1. Its the type of pick in R1 or R2 that pays so few dividends that it gets someone fired. TE is the slowest developing position in football. Hurst will be 27-28 years old before you can count on him for much of anything.

This is the 1st Cane in a long time I've wanted the Dolphins to draft so badly. Fits a need, durable, natural hands, and a physical blocker.

Advertisement
If he didn't suffer the injury, he'd be no lower than 3rd TE off the board (Goedert, Gesicki, Herndon).

Overaged, below average athlete, little production Hayden Hurst is some wild buffoonery as TE1. Its the type of pick in R1 or R2 that pays so few dividends that it gets someone fired. TE is the slowest developing position in football. Hurst will be 27-28 years old before you can count on him for much of anything.

Wouldn't go that far. Herndon will make his money early in his career as a blocker, much like Delanie Walker. He's not not as nuanced in his routes nor was he utilized enough to warrant a day 1-2 pick. Hurst is very overrated nonetheless.

I always felt Herndon was underutilized and underappreciated at Miami. For some reason, Richt didn't incorporate the TE well until halfway into 2016, and we had Njoku, the freak of nature athlete, overshadowing Herndon's capabilities. Then Rosier just couldn't get the ball out to him consistently enough last season, but when he did, Chris always made the big plays. He's a great blocker, a great route runner, and can always be counted on the tough catch to extend the series. I feel he's going to do great in the NFL.

I always felt Herndon was underutilized and underappreciated at Miami. For some reason, Richt didn't incorporate the TE well until halfway into 2016, and we had Njoku, the freak of nature athlete, overshadowing Herndon's capabilities. Then Rosier just couldn't get the ball out to him consistently enough last season, but when he did, Chris always made the big plays. He's a great blocker, a great route runner, and can always be counted on the tough catch to extend the series. I feel he's going to do great in the NFL.

I seriusly think Richt didnt realize what he had in Njoku at all. He was use tot the bums he had at UGA. He literally was running dummy routes most of the season, and at times even last season forgot the mismatch of Herndon. Still remember the way of getting Herndon involved was throwing bubble screens lol.

Advertisement
Goedert should be first. He's the only tight end in this crop who has a chance to be special, IMO.

Herndon absolutely belongs on that list. Mayock never updates his list at this point in the process based on his own opinion. He hears trends from around the league and wants to fall in line. Herndon has been moving up. Daniel Jeremiah spotlighted Herndon last week on Path to the Draft as a potential second or third rounder. That seemed a bit optimistic but the trend is positive.

I seriusly think Richt didnt realize what he had in Njoku at all. He was use tot the bums he had at UGA. He literally was running dummy routes most of the season, and at times even last season forgot the mismatch of Herndon. Still remember the way of getting Herndon involved was throwing bubble screens lol.
MR sucks at te evals imo well at uga

Goedert should be first. He's the only tight end in this crop who has a chance to be special, IMO.

Herndon absolutely belongs on that list. Mayock never updates his list at this point in the process based on his own opinion. He hears trends from around the league and wants to fall in line. Herndon has been moving up. Daniel Jeremiah spotlighted Herndon last week on Path to the Draft as a potential second or third rounder. That seemed a bit optimistic but the trend is positive.
Gesicki from penn state tested as a freak. First tight end of the draft imo

Advertisement
I think the NFL gets too caught up in minute differences in measureables. If Chris Herndon would have measured 6'4" at the combine, he'd be getting early round hype. Instead he was like 6'3" 1/4 or something and he gets dropped back to the middle rounds. Like that tiny bit of height really impacts his play. He's productive and well rounded and a decent athlete for his size. When most TEs are coming into the league as glorified wide receivers, Herndon has shown the ability to play inline and at H-back.

bad offensive Line plus good blocking TE. You have to use him as a blocker more than you want.

Advertisement
Back