2024 Chris Cole LB from VA (Rohan's Nephew) [commits to UGA]

Advertisement
Back to your rant, which is also a personal issue for me in that I represented many an Atlanta rapper whose music I could not stand, and I am a rap aficionado going back to PE, Rakim, NWA, Ice T, EPMD, Ghetto Boys, etc…
Rap back then, and thru the mid-90’s with Pac and others had a specific message. And the message was different from rapper to rapper.
PE was militant/political
NWA was street/political
Pac and Biggie wrote poetry to music

But each had something they needed to say which told a personal; story. I find rap today boring because no one has anything to say which is personal to them. A LOT of this is because of record labels. From my time with Gucci Mane, Franchize Boyz, Lucci, etc…I asked all of them what happened to rap. The answer was always pretty similar.
1. The labels do not want political rap. They are not interested in creating any waves.
2. The labels want music about simple subjects that they feel will appeal to a larger audience. For example, money, girls, jewelry and even drugs.

The result is boring, similar rap. I’m sure there are more answers but the labels found a way to control and package rap. So whereas the mass audience listens to more “rap” than ever, people who loved rap for years find themselves very disillusioned.
Right now if I start talking about hip hop it will turn political so I’ll just sort of brush up in the subject.
Hip hop basically sucks now.

I feel that hip hop is going through what rock and roll did during the 80’s when a bunch of dudes began wearing make up and tight leather jeans.

Now : Just make a video about killing people and flash money, jewels, and guns around while doing donuts in a hellcat. And put some btchs on there twerking and we’ll sell some records.

The problem is it’s the only thing that radio will play.
People use then cause that now there are “platforms” and before there wasn’t. Unfortunately radio still has influence and even for streaming services there are still hurdles and those hurdles are still co trolled by the same people that control what gets played.

We have an entire generation that has been influenced by drugs and violence and look up to some of these lyrics as gospel and it’s poisoned a generation into wanting to be gangsta.
And what are they going after now? The females.
And the worst part about it is that the females aren’t even the ones writing the lyrics cause they’re ghost written by dudes.
So even if a female wants to be positive….. it’s not gonna get played.
Now a bunch of young women are being raised on WAP lyrics And wanting to be strippers and sht.

Lyricism in a a forgotten art. Forget about story telling.
Forget about imagery.
It took so long to convince people that what was being written was actual poetry.
No way da baby is a poet.

Tupac and Nas were so far ahead of the game that it’s sad.

“Wake up every morning and I ask myself
Is life worth living or should I blast myself”
Very few artist would have the balls to write something like that and expose that emotion.
And Tupac did while on top.

It’s so bad right now that people don’t even want to acknowledge Eminem as a great rapper. Why? Cause he didn’t talk about selling crack and killing the oops?

There is absolutely no reverence to the past in this genre.

But there is still gold
Out there but they get nowhere the recognition.

I bet most never even heard this and it’s been out for a year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Griselda was pretty underground but are getting more popular/acclaim now.
For as much **** as Eminem gets he basically exclusively signs lyricists to Shady - Royce (been on a great run), Budden, Crook, Joell Ortiz, yelawolf, and Griselda for a lil are all gone now, but still got Grip - pretty good young atlanta artist, Westside Boogie, and now EZ Mil.

just randomly naming some pretty popular guys: Denzel Curry, JID, Tyler the creator and Earl Sweatshirt, Cordae, Vince Staples, Isaiah Rashad, Flatbush Zombies, are all younger than Kendrick and Cole. **** the crazy thing is Lil Wayne and like Lupe Fiasco is only 2 years older than Cole!

...but yeah having a new Rawkus Records would be cool.
This the typoe of post i signed up here for.

PAUSE on the bolded.

The state of hip hop is so bad....ive gone back to my roots and have exclusively listened to UK RAP MOST OF THIS YEAR.

If yall need British rappers to get into i can put ya on. lol

*Im also a Griselda fan, paid to see Conway in wynwood last year where it may have been less than 200 ppl there lol

Kweli has been teetering for a while, he takes things said on social media way too personally. Also Pete Rock’s back and forth a with Lupe Fiasco were up there, poor Lupe was crushed to see one of his idols act that way.
These are the reasons I do zero social media. That **** is the devil's playground and I got no time for it.

Advertisement
Georgia has shaken up this recruitment multiple times, they were on him, then cooled off, then back on him again after they lost some linebackers in their class. If it was Miami in two days, I’d be surprised based on the last conversation I had about it. Something to do with NIL with this kid too and the SEC.

Stay on topic, please. We are talking rap, it's rise and fall, difficulties transitioning from counter-culture to mainstream, label sabotage, and up-and-comers carrying the torch.

The only "Cole" CIS wants to hear about is J.

Griselda was pretty underground but are getting more popular/acclaim now.
For as much **** as Eminem gets he basically exclusively signs lyricists to Shady - Royce (been on a great run), Budden, Crook, Joell Ortiz, yelawolf, and Griselda for a lil are all gone now, but still got Grip - pretty good young atlanta artist, Westside Boogie, and now EZ Mil.

just randomly naming some pretty popular guys: Denzel Curry, JID, Tyler the creator and Earl Sweatshirt, Cordae, Vince Staples, Isaiah Rashad, Flatbush Zombies, are all younger than Kendrick and Cole. **** the crazy thing is Lil Wayne and like Lupe Fiasco is only 2 years older than Cole!

...but yeah having a new Rawkus Records would be cool.

Ya I just named a few off top

I've been rocking Griselda since like 2015 and were screaming to anyone who would listen that they were basically saving hip-hop! I guess they are kinda more well known now but most of their stuff is still good

Their early first 2-3 years stuff was basically the second coming of Rae and Ghost to me…Some of best **** I've ever heard.

I like the crew, The Cloth…from Rochester as well (Mooch, Rigz, Mac, etc) Rome Streets is good as well (now part of Griselda)

Couple low-key (I think low key I really don't pay attention to accolades and every single project obviously everyone knows the Alchemists, Muggs who is still going strong, etc) I like are Raticus, V Don, Big Ghost

These are just off top of my head…I'm actually fading away the past year or so, I was in to it checking for everything during Covid. So much good **** was made in those 1st 18 months. But these ^^ are a few I still look for

Last edited:
Ya I just named a few off top

I've been rocking Griselda since like 2015 and were screaming to anyone who would listen that they were basically saving hip-hop! I guess they are kinda more well known now but most of their stuff is still good

Their early first 2-3 years stuff was basically the second coming of Rae and Ghost to me…Some of best **** I've ever heard.

I like the crew, The Cloth…from Rochester as well (Mooch, Rigz, Mac, etc) Rome Streets is good as well (now part of Griselda)

Couple low-key (I think low key I really don't pay attention to accolades and every single project obviously everyone knows the Alchemists, Muggs who is still going strong, etc) I like are Raticus, V Don, Big Ghost

These are just off top of my head…I'm actually fading away the past year or so, I was in to it checking for everything during Covid. So much good **** was made in those 1st 18 months. But these ^^ are a few I still look for
I'd say the group I'm most into that has absolutely ZERO name recognition on the west coast is Run the Jewels. Unfortunately they haven't been dropping as much as they were a few years ago. But Killer Mike is obviously dope Atlanta rapper. El-P's sound can be pretty polarizing though. But they're actually older dudes closer to Nas' age

One thing I'll never get is how Alchemist has been Eminems DJ since literally like 2005, yet they only have like 1 song together. Meanwhile dudes got an EP with everyone lol.

I've been listening to a bit of Iamsu, Larry June and Mozzy since my nephew will literally ONLY listen to local Bay Area rap and is constantly showing me guys. Don't really care for majority of it though.

Advertisement
This the typoe of post i signed up here for.

PAUSE on the bolded.

The state of hip hop is so bad....ive gone back to my roots and have exclusively listened to UK RAP MOST OF THIS YEAR.

If yall need British rappers to get into i can put ya on. lol

*Im also a Griselda fan, paid to see Conway in wynwood last year where it may have been less than 200 ppl there lol
ngl I don't listen to ANY non US (and Canada for Drake lol) rap. Not even that I think UK rap is bad. Literally don't think I've ever sat down and listened to a UK rapper.

I've been listening to a bit of Iamsu, Larry June and Mozzy since my nephew will literally ONLY listen to local Bay Area rap and is constantly showing me guys. Don't really care for majority of it though.

At some point this summer I heard a couple cuts from Larry June and they were good. Can't remember what it was.

But there is still gold
Out there but they get nowhere the recognition.

I bet most never even heard this and it’s been out for a year.

watch

Benny's best imo with one of the goats^^
(I don't know how to link it with the pic on here)

This is every thing that's right about hip hop

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back