2024 Chris Cole LB from VA (Rohan's Nephew) [commits to UGA]

Erykah is a whole different level of crazy! I met her in her early years with common. That chick is legit militant with ****. She's was single handedly the reason we lost one of the greatest groups of all time in outkast... I'll never forgive her for that. A few more years of OutKast influencing these eventual mumble rappers might've changed the future of music. Now we're just STUCK WITH THIS... I always sit around and consider exactly where hip hop/rap died. I think it's pretty obvious though. Tupac,Biggie,Big pun,Big L,Guru. Would love to see the state of urban music with more of those brothers influence. Anyways back to the topic at hand. Sorry for my rant.
Yeah, I've heard that she's a bit out there. Like, Are u outta your gah**** mind (crazy)?

Advertisement
Erykah is a whole different level of crazy! I met her in her early years with common. That chick is legit militant with ****. She's was single handedly the reason we lost one of the greatest groups of all time in outkast... I'll never forgive her for that. A few more years of OutKast influencing these eventual mumble rappers might've changed the future of music. Now we're just STUCK WITH THIS... I always sit around and consider exactly where hip hop/rap died. I think it's pretty obvious though. Tupac,Biggie,Big pun,Big L,Guru. Would love to see the state of urban music with more of those brothers influence. Anyways back to the topic at hand. Sorry for my rant.
Yes sir. She was suite mates with my cousin when they attended Grambling. Tip of the hat to you for describing her as nice as you did here.

Rant approved. Passion only rivaled by a @SWFLHurricane discussion of Butch Davis…

Who, of course, would already have Cole committed to Miami …. To get us back on track 😎

@Brooklyndee .....give me EPMD and I'm straight....

Back to your rant, which is also a personal issue for me in that I represented many an Atlanta rapper whose music I could not stand, and I am a rap aficionado going back to PE, Rakim, NWA, Ice T, EPMD, Ghetto Boys, etc…
Rap back then, and thru the mid-90’s with Pac and others had a specific message. And the message was different from rapper to rapper.
PE was militant/political
NWA was street/political
Pac and Biggie wrote poetry to music

But each had something they needed to say which told a personal; story. I find rap today boring because no one has anything to say which is personal to them. A LOT of this is because of record labels. From my time with Gucci Mane, Franchize Boyz, Lucci, etc…I asked all of them what happened to rap. The answer was always pretty similar.
1. The labels do not want political rap. They are not interested in creating any waves.
2. The labels want music about simple subjects that they feel will appeal to a larger audience. For example, money, girls, jewelry and even drugs.

The result is boring, similar rap. I’m sure there are more answers but the labels found a way to control and package rap. So whereas the mass audience listens to more “rap” than ever, people who loved rap for years find themselves very disillusioned.

Advertisement
Back to your rant, which is also a personal issue for me in that I represented many an Atlanta rapper whose music I could not stand, and I am a rap aficionado going back to PE, Rakim, NWA, Ice T, EPMD, Ghetto Boys, etc…
Rap back then, and thru the mid-90’s with Pac and others had a specific message. And the message was different from rapper to rapper.
NWA was street/political

But each had something they needed to say which told a personal; story. I find rap today boring because no one has anything to say which is personal to them. A LOT of this is because of record labels. From my time with Gucci Mane, Franchize Boyz, Lucci, etc…I asked all of them what happened to rap. The answer was always pretty similar.
1. The labels do not want political rap. They are not interested in creating any waves.
2. The labels want music about simple subjects that they feel will appeal to a larger audience. For example, money, girls, jewelry and even drugs.

The result is boring, similar rap. I’m sure there are more answers but the labels found a way to control and package rap. So whereas the mass audience listens to more “rap” than ever, people who loved rap for years find themselves very disillusioned.
Most people don't understand what EPMD did for Rap, especially in NYC. They ran the show in NYC from 86-92....Peeps stole their beats, and Lyrics on a regular basis, hence "Get off the Bandwagon" "Strickly Snappin Necks". @Brooklyndee and @Rellyrell will attest.

NWA was street/political

My cousin owns a production/content house company in NYC. (Terra House Productions) He's worked with alot of major Rap and Music stars. He directed and produced all of DMXs videos. This is a Pic of him with Chyna Black while producing her Grammy Nominated Video. @Brooklyndee @Rellyrell @AtlAtty
MV5BYzU4MDdiMDYtMGY5Yy00YThkLTg4MDEtMzZkMWMyMjVjYzEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_UY280_CR4...jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
NWA was street/political

I put 85% of the blame on major labels & more specifically their A & R. I've had this discussion with our own & all the labels really care about us what's the bpm of each track. They feel the bpm(beats per minute) is what appeals to this generation far more than the content. Unfortunately reality is theirs no more violators,there's no more suavehouse,etc. There's no more underground labels to support lyricism & keep it alive. We're just lucky to get a Kendrick & j.cole track here or there flush with their agendas to keep us content. Music is just like fashion. Sooner or later it all circles back on itself. What's old is new etc. Can't wait for that day. Now I'm simply happy we have a few artists I get to take part in their paths who have actual passion about their music & an old soul.

NWA was street/political

The "problem" with Rap is that its the popular music now, and theres just so many more people doing it. Plus being a "creator" is so much easier and accessible now with technology and social media.
The fact is there are just as many great rappers now as there were back in the early day - I'd argue way more - there are just a **** of a lot more trash ones that you have to wade through. In the early days where there was no online and ease of publicity it was mostly people that had already proven themselves as great talents that got popular. So the average hiphophead didn't have to really wade through as much crap, that was all done for them locally. Also you have to consider that you don't have to retire in Rap. So all the top guys people love can still make music that they love. Like Nas is having a pretty major resurgence.

I put 85% of the blame on major labels & more specifically their A & R. I've had this discussion with our own & all the labels really care about us what's the bpm of each track. They feel the bpm(beats per minute) is what appeals to this generation far more than the content. Unfortunately reality is theirs no more violators,there's no more suavehouse,etc. There's no more underground labels to support lyricism & keep it alive. We're just lucky to get a Kendrick & j.cole track here or there flush with their agendas to keep us content. Music is just like fashion. Sooner or later it all circles back on itself. What's old is new etc. Can't wait for that day. Now I'm simply happy we have a few artists I get to take part in their paths who have actual passion about their music & an old soul.
Griselda was pretty underground but are getting more popular/acclaim now.
For as much **** as Eminem gets he basically exclusively signs lyricists to Shady - Royce (been on a great run), Budden, Crook, Joell Ortiz, yelawolf, and Griselda for a lil are all gone now, but still got Grip - pretty good young atlanta artist, Westside Boogie, and now EZ Mil.

just randomly naming some pretty popular guys: Denzel Curry, JID, Tyler the creator and Earl Sweatshirt, Cordae, Vince Staples, Isaiah Rashad, Flatbush Zombies, are all younger than Kendrick and Cole. **** the crazy thing is Lil Wayne and like Lupe Fiasco is only 2 years older than Cole!

...but yeah having a new Rawkus Records would be cool.

Advertisement
Well if we're sticking with the whole trend of bat**** crazy that makes perfect sense too cause Erik sermon is also conveniently bat**** crazy himself... haha(agreed though)
Kweli has been teetering for a while, he takes things said on social media way too personally. Also Pete Rock’s back and forth a with Lupe Fiasco were up there, poor Lupe was crushed to see one of his idols act that way.

It died for a while for me…But whole new waive started in the mid 200teens…Griselda. Nack/Divino. Roc Marc.

Carrying the torch. It's out there, just gotta look for it.

Advertisement
Georgia has shaken up this recruitment multiple times, they were on him, then cooled off, then back on him again after they lost some linebackers in their class. If it was Miami in two days, I’d be surprised based on the last conversation I had about it. Something to do with NIL with this kid too and the SEC.

The "problem" with Rap is that its the popular music now, and theres just so many more people doing it. Plus being a "creator" is so much easier and accessible now with technology and social media.
The fact is there are just as many great rappers now as there were back in the early day - I'd argue way more - there are just a **** of a lot more trash ones that you have to wade through. In the early days where there was no online and ease of publicity it was mostly people that had already proven themselves as great talents that got popular. So the average hiphophead didn't have to really wade through as much crap, that was all done for them locally. Also you have to consider that you don't have to retire in Rap. So all the top guys people love can still make music that they love. Like Nas is having a pretty major resurgence.
In the 80”s I had to convince my friends that rap was real music. You may remember that so many people thought it was a passing fad. Now rap is in every form of music, even country. There are rappers in almost every language. And there is a lot of talent. But like you and @Brooklyndee wrote, there is so much crap, and the crap is popular, or at least the music is if not the actual rapping, that we have a hard time finding the good stuff.
I agree that Nas is still putting it out, as are lots of the greats. But they are completely lost in the quagmire of generic, radio rap.

Advertisement
Back