Chizik steps down

Also just added today UNC just lost there ace recruiter RB Coach Larry Porter to Auburn.

Advertisement
Is he still getting a buyout from Auburn? I always wonder why fired coaches even bother getting a new job before their buyout ends. Buyouts are usually offset by the salary at the new job, which means a fired coach is essentially coaching at a new job for free.

Whatever the reason, UNC is in trouble. Chizik was their best coach and his defenses were a huge factor in allowing them to run up-tempo. Take him away and both sides of the ball will suffer. Add in the NCAA investigation, and what elite kid will want to commit there going forward? No Geo Bernards or Marvin Austins going to the Tar Heels for many years to come.

I think Fuente is a superior coach, and Narduzzi is pretty solid. But UNC was the sleeping giant that never woke up. Take them out of the equation and we really should have the inside track to win the Coastal each year.

North Carolina's defense sucked. No way a good defense gives up over 400 yds in 7 games and finishes #109 in rushing yards allowed per game....

They weren't a disaster. 46th in pts/game isn't bad.

Didn't this dude's defense give up like 800 yards in the bowl game to Baylor a couple years ago?

Advertisement
At UNC Chizik has been a below average DC. It's hard to believe he was the best DC in CFB 10 years ago. This is no big loss from them.

He did a very good job at UNC. Restructured and re motivated this offensive minded team under Larry Fedora. Big loss for Fedora who turned over the D to Gene.

I believe the family story. After Auburn and before UNC, Chizik had a football commentator roll on Serius radio. He was a good analyst and will almost certainly return to that role. That kind of job allows you to work from home on your daily radio show. No need to go to the studio. Great gig that lets you stay home but work effectively.

Wish him well.

I'm sure he's not a guy who's in need of money, and he can get plenty of money if ESPN hires him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back