Chip Kelly context

Cane01

Redshirt Freshman
I would take Butch for sure, but to argue that he's on the same planet as Kelly on the college level is asinine. If you have a shot at him you gotta take it. His record is pretty astounding at a school that's had very little big time success with no local recruiting base.

2009- 10-3 Pac 10 champs ranked [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 1[/URL] in the nation.

Lost 19-8@ Boise State who finished 14-0 and #4 in the nation
Lost 51-42 @ Stanford who finished 8-5 but unranked with Luck and Harbaugh.
Lost 26-17 in Rose Bowl to Ohio State who finished 11-2 and #5 in the nation.

2010- Finished 12-1 Pac 10 champs ranked #3 in the nation.
Lost NCG in Fiesta Bowl to #1 Auburn 22-19 who finished 14-0.

2011- Finished 12-2 Pac 12 champs ranked #4 in the nation. Rose Bowl champs.

Lost 40-27 in Arlington to 13-1 LSU who finished #2 in the nation.
Lost 38-35 vs USC who finished 10-2 and ranked #6 in the nation

2012- Finished 12-1 and #2 in the nation. Fiesta Bowl champs.

Lost 17-14 in OT vs Pac 12 champs Stanford who finished 12-2 and #6 in the nation.

To summarize, not many bad or unacceptable losses on the man's resume. Will be a homerun hire for anybody, whenever he chooses to come back to college.

Advertisement
Yeah, but Butch Davis Da Fallback Option beat UF in the Sugar Bowl 15 years ago.

I would take Butch for sure, but to argue that he's on the same planet as Kelly on the college level is asinine. If you have a shot at him you gotta take it. His record is pretty astounding at a school that's had very little big time success with no local recruiting base.

2009- 10-3 Pac 10 champs ranked [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 1[/URL] in the nation.

Lost 17-14 in OT vs Pac 12 champs Stanford who finished 12-2 and #6 in the nation.

To summarize, not many bad or unacceptable losses on the man's resume. Will be a homerun hire for anybody, whenever he chooses to come back to college.

I do not see any bad or unacceptable losses.

Advertisement
NCAA You've heard of Show Cause letter? Plus, didn't we just fire a coach who refused to adapt his system to the great talent here? Granted, Chip is a much better coach, but the same "only my way can work" attitude. What if it doesn't? And does anyone know what sort of defense he uses?

Don't forget all the top 25 wins (finished top 25)

2009: #22 USC and #18 Utah (Pete Carroll USC)
2010: #4 Stanford (Harbaugh went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl)
2011: #7 Stanford and #10 Wisconsin
2012: #12 KSU and #20 Oregon State

I think that's pushing it a bit.... Saban will likely retire after he finishes at Alabama - probably within the next few years...

Kelly is a lot younger and still needs to prove himself - he doesn't have a championship yet; if he returns to college I think he'll get a couple though in the right situation.

Also, Kelly seems to have been mentioned as someone Miami is looking at.

There is no mention of Saban with anyone.

I just don't see any comparison here....

Nick Saban has a better resume, and that option is just as realistic as Chip Kelly.

Advertisement
Nick Saban has a better resume, and that option is just as realistic as Chip Kelly.

That makes no sense. If Chip gets fired, why isn't it realistic? He would be a free agent.

SMH. You guys believe everything you read. How did that Gruden hire work out?

Nah, just the stuff we read that we agree with.

You can relate to that, right?

I mean ... Butch Davis is an option for the job, right?

Advertisement
U guys need to get your head out of your boyfriends ***--we have a better shot of Kenny Kelly coming back to play qb

NCAA Show Cause.

Checkmate.

Advertisement
Checkmate? Maybe under Shalala. Under a new president, we have no idea how we'll operate. It's all speculation. I'm willing to give him a chance. Other teams are willing to line up for a coach like Kelly, despite an 18 month show cause. If we aren't, we will never compete again. Might as well pack up the message board and not waste time discussing.

Checkmate? Maybe under Shalala. Under a new president, we have no idea how we'll operate. It's all speculation. I'm willing to give him a chance. Other teams are willing to line up for a coach like Kelly, despite an 18 month show cause. If we aren't, we will never compete again. Might as well pack up the message board and not waste time discussing.

seems like they already leaked that they were initially spooked by the Butch allegations while at UNC even though he has been officially exonerated. if they turn around and hire a guy not only implicated but found guilty of violations, and issued show cause penalty, I would like to see how they walk back what they already put out there for reasons they hesitated on Butch.

This can also be leaked to gauge public reaction. I don't think the public really cares about the Butch accusations or the Kelly show cause. We just want a winning team each year. Now if you are a graduate of the school you may be more averse to having the school employ a "shady" coach. Ultimately, as a private university, the can do whatever the **** they want.

Advertisement
Back