Charlie Strong or Mario Cristobal?

Green5

Band
Banned
I can't believe people were suggesting these 2 for head coach last year. The Schiano suggestions were bad enough.

So who would you choose if you had to have one as coach?

Advertisement
I never saw anyone here say Charlie Strong shoulda been Head Coach...and everyone here definitely blasted the administration (over the forums and through email) when we heard that he may have gotten an interview. People constantly said he would make a good DC here though and I still think he could.

I never saw anyone here say Charlie Strong shoulda been Head Coach...and everyone here definitely blasted the administration (over the forums and through email) when we heard that he may have gotten an interview. People constantly said he would make a good DC here though and I still think he could.

I don't believe he got an interview. I'm not sure if there was anything more to him being considered for the job than message board fodder.

Some people definitely thought he was a decent choice for HC though.

Last edited:

I don't believe he got an interview. I'm not sure if there was anything more to him being considered for the job than message board fodder.

I would have wanted him over many of the options that were first circulated last year not named richt/butch/Herman. Definitely over Cristobal. Charlie would have killed it down here. He understands how to coach Florida talent. Texas is just a dumpster fire, the man was setup to fail to begin with.

Last edited:

I would have wanted him over many of the options that were first circulated last year not named richt/butch/Herman. Definitely over Cristobal. Charlie would have killed it down here. He understands how to coach Florida talent. Texas is just a dumpster fire, the man was setup to fail to begin with.

Charlie Strong = Randy Shannon

Both can coach an elite defense as a DC
Both can be great position coaches and elevate a Defense as an Assistant DC
Both can't hire a good OC.
Both was asked to rebuild dumpster fire's and failed

In terms of differences...
-Shannon had less relations (outside the Miami tree) and extremely less financial support as a HC, so reasonable people can determine why he couldn't get a good OC
-Charlie is a much better recruiter, and did what he did (as a DC) with less overall talent.
-Shannon burned relationships with high schools while he was at Miami
-Charlie had a hard time building relationships because he wasn't quite accepted.

Advertisement

-Shannon had less relations (outside the Miami tree) and extremely less financial support as a HC, so reasonable people can determine why he couldn't get a good OC
-Charlie is a much better recruiter, and did what he did (as a DC) with less overall talent.
-Charlie had a hard time building relationships because he wasn't quite accepted.
Should have stayed with Louisville. He had it rolling

this is ridiculous first off strong won at Louisville, he went to big bowl games , he knew florida talent and really shouldn't of taken texas job as he had 0 connections there, the boosters never wanted him and while he has done a good job recruiting the talent he has is still young.
randy had never been head coach before and had 0 success as one. strong at least had some extremely good years at Louisville with a lot of south florida talent. he would of been fine at Miami, u were probably one of the ones thought Manny diaz was a bad choice for dc also.

Advertisement
Bridgewater made Strong seem good when he was really awful all along. Anyway Strong is 16-20 at Texas to Shannon's 28-22 at Miami. Strong would actually have to go 12-2 to match Shannon's record, as hard as that seems to believe.

image.jpg
I can't believe people were suggesting these 2 for head coach last year. The Schiano suggestions were bad enough.

Advertisement
Bridgewater made Strong seem good when he was really awful all along. Anyway Strong is 16-20 at Texas to Shannon's 28-22 at Miami. Strong would actually have to go 12-2 to match Shannon's record, as hard as that seems to believe.

It takes more than a good QB to make an awful coach look good. More like strong is a decent coach who looked good enough to fool texast because of his star QB.

Advertisement
this is ridiculous first off strong won at Louisville, he went to big bowl games , he knew florida talent and really shouldn't of taken texas job as he had 0 connections there, the boosters never wanted him and while he has done a good job recruiting the talent he has is still young.
randy had never been head coach before and had 0 success as one. strong at least had some extremely good years at Louisville with a lot of south florida talent. he would of been fine at Miami, u were probably one of the ones thought Manny diaz was a bad choice for dc also.

Lol you are mistaken so let me take you to class.

Strong coached at 6 different schools in 5 different states, and that doesn't include him being from Central Arkansas (Where he played in college also). He was an Assistant Head Coach, an Interim head coach, and overall had 26 years of coaching experience before taking his first head coaching job at Louisville who played in a Big East conference that had 2 other decent teams in it...UCF (Blake Bortles) and West Virginia (with Geno Smith). The rest of the conference was average teams... Strong added 4 more years of experience in coaching, this time as a HC.

Then he took over a team in a P5 conference and still ends up with a win percentage of .444

Compare this to Randy Shannon:

Spent 15 years coaching in Miami after being born and raised in Miami, and going to college in Miami. The only non Miami Hurricane gig Randy Shannon had...was the Miami Dolphins...then he took over Miami at a time where the Administration gives no phucks about the program. Mind you, the first year he coached the Canes, Sean Taylor died IN MIAMI and Shannon spent a full recruiting cycle trying to convince families that Miami isn't full of violence. Skipping the useless info...in his first Tenure as a HC, jumping straight into a P5 conference, with 11 years less experience than Strong and never being even an Interim coach before...he had a win percentage of .560

Even if you count Louisville, Strong's win percentage is bumped barely above Shannon to a .586...
Strong went 7-6 at Louisville for 2 years in a row before he caught a break by starting Bridgewater as a Soph and hitting the jackpot.

Regardless...Strong has not proven he can hire a good OC...even his Louisville OC is now an offensive analyst because people realized he was hiding behind Bridgewater...He wouldn't have done crap at Miami AS A HEAD COACH if he couldn't get a good OC.

And for the record, I wasn't against Diaz getting DC, but I did, and still would prefer Shannon/Strong over him and would even rank them as

1. Strong
2. Shannon
3. Diaz

really because all I read on here was how much people wanted aranda, or brown from bc, strong was a non starter for dc and he would of done fine at Miami. I prefer richt over strong as hc its not close, richt has a much better track record, Shannon at dc was good yes but diaz is young up and comer and really bringing Shannon back was probably never gonna happen.

I don't care how much assistant coaching experience a guy had. strong took over a Louisville team that hadn't made a bowl game since petrino left and made them bowl participants right off the bat, he had hc experience and was successful at end of it and it takes a guy at least 3 yrs to play with his guys. and by y ear 3 he was winning 10 games, Shannon for all his skill at dc for Miami had never been a hc before. that's a big difference , strong also went into a bad situation in texas, he would of done better at Miami running his pro style, texas hs all run the air raid or some version of it, yes strong failed at texas but he took over a bad situation and had improved the team this year,

I'm not defending strong, I think would of been solid pick at Miami but no way would I want him over richt, I am just saying his hc experience was way more then what Shannon had, as he had never been a hc so he had no track record and strong did. by all accounts the number 2 choice was gonna be schiano who did miracles at Rutgers, look at the dumpster fire they were before and after he left.

That's like asking if we want Syph or the Clap.

Neither one.

Advertisement
Back