Charles Kelly

I saw this too...we had no answer for the press man. Just terrible. Good news is no other team will have the athletes to keep up with us.

Advertisement
Although it may be an illusion; Kelly was a completely different coordinator last night.

Fsu defense has struggled for a lot of the same reasons ours did under Golden. Florida boys and 5 star athletes have a tough time sitting back watching plays develop as opposed to attacking them like they were brought up to do.

Kelly played a lot of aggressive man coverage. He hasnt coached a game that agressive since he was hired.

That is a fact and it changes the whole "fsu defense suck" narrative.

Imo, Kelly was extremely confident in letting his defense play aggressive because kaaya is a statue and our O-line is a liability.

With the aggressive presnap alignments the Rpos were null and void. We were forced to adjust our game and we couldnt. They dared us to throw it deep and it seems as if Richt was too afraid to leave kaaya in the pocket for a deep ball.

Fsu defense may suck and Kelly will probably go back to the hot seat; but football is a game of matchups and our weaknesses were exposed a bit.

Sidenote:

Also we forget that Kaaya has full autonomy to check in and out of plays. How can we truly know if Richt or Kaaya is to blame for the playcalling when we dont what plays kaaya could check in and out of?

We will just go ahead and blame the coach on this one.

Richt/kaaya called a good enough game to put us in position to go up 20-3 with all the momentum.

Kaaya screwed us with that pic and also placed a magnifying glass on every aspect of the game by doing so.
I dont think we are nearly as critical of the game without that pic.
Richts going to have to do some real soul searching and figure out whether he wants to call plays and match wits on gameday with DCs because he had no adjustments for kellys adjustments and didnt trust our players enough if he did. We gotta be able to change on the fly.

So what you're saying is Kelly changed the way he plays defense because we don't have a running QB (UNC didn't run their QB all over the place), and Richt was not prepared to adjust to this?
Are you also saying that when Kelly began dropping a Safety down into the box - leaving a single high, vulnerable S - Richt did not send two TEs down the seam on what only requires less than 2 seconds of OL protection?
Are you then saying Richt failed to adjust his playcalls for route combinations that tested a shaky secondary?
Did we both see Coley's separation down the seam on the pass Berrios attracted a Pass Interference call?
Did we run *any* in breaking routes for Herndon or Njoku?

Sounds like we saw a lot of the same things. We're just concluding different things. Players made mistakes, no doubt. Players dropped balls or had errors (Coley's neutral zone infraction killed a likely TD drive to go 20-3). But, if your coach isn't prepared or willing to adjust, at least the majority of blame falls on him. If he can't admit that himself, we have a bigger problem than a rigid gameplan against our biggest rival.

I think Jimbo had A LOT to do with him changing the defense, tbh. I'm not sure if it was because they both know Kaaya is a statue or because they feel this is the best way to maximize their talent. I would assume the latter.

Imo, Richt was totally unprepared to adjust to it or Kaaya just sucked *** at getting us in and out of the correct play. I'd assume the Former.

Richt pulled out some plays that attacked the adjustments but they looked force and not something the kids were totally prepared for or maybe we need to respect the fact the Noles are still quite talented.

I remember him being asked in an interview how he adjusts if the gameplan he practiced all week didn't work. He said something along the lines of having a few Plan B plays but he doesn't really like to go too far from his gameplan.

I think when Richt watches this tape he will learn a lot about himself and what he needs to improve upon.

I cant see him being insane enough to think he can be successful with the same approach.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

If we don't throw a pick and go up 20-3 and snatch all of the momentum and win a 23-10 or 27-17 game are we really doing all this bichin about the playcalling?

If we don't throw a pick and go up 20-3 and snatch all of the momentum and win a 23-10 or 27-17 game are we really doing all this bichin about the playcalling?

My answer is yes, I would have still wondered what the heck happened with some of what was available. Also, because I don't think FSU's defense is particularly strong (especially without Jones) and it worries me going forward.

Perhaps part of my deep disappointment is I actually thought we'd hang another 24 on them after the 1st half - whether all from offense or with help from the defense. FSU had shown everything on defense and it wasn't all that scary. To the point that I was pretty confident driving the ball 20-13, we got stopped. Then I was pretty confident we'd score after Berrios' punt return. Then I figured we'd win the game if we could tie with the extra point. Apparently, my confidence was for naught, because we could never put it all together.

I am going to have a hard time accepting that Herndon and Njoku combined for 4 receptions for 28 yards. People will say "they created no separation." I saw Herndon thrown a quick out while being covered by Nickel corner. What the heck else can anyone expect? If I'm playing Nickel or Safety against a bigger, slower WR/TE, of course I want the guy to try to beat me going away where I can just close out. Herndon and Njoku going vertical or combining routes was the hope.

By the way, we did run plays down the middle of the field in practice. And, no, they're not all slow developing plays at all, so you can protect your OL while running them. Not sure where those were on Saturday night.

LOL. Kelly is who he is. And FSU will continue to get mangled by competent offenses. Sorry *** USF had their way with FSU and Flowers is a horrible passer. He makes Rosier look like Tom Brady.

FSU personnel in the back 7 without Jones is down bigtime or completely green with no experience. Trubisky is far from a runner, and Fedora didn't ask him to run against FSU. He picked them apart out of a shotgun spread using tempo.

The fact that they had Erma Lane back there playing defense after just moving to the position a couple of weeks ago and he didn't get abused bothers me.

And I don't think you necessarily need Mike Vick or Lamar Jackson back there to expose them. Just someone that is a potential threat to run the ball. Trubisky could run 4.

Unacceptable. For years this program has shown these types of lack of recognition and awareness in games. its frustrating. Same with the blocked extra point. No need for a timeout but those players needed to focus and realize how crucial that extra point was. Instead they took it for granted.

My answer is yes, I would have still wondered what the heck happened with some of what was available. Also, because I don't think FSU's defense is particularly strong (especially without Jones) and it worries me going forward.

Perhaps part of my deep disappointment is I actually thought we'd hang another 24 on them after the 1st half - whether all from offense or with help from the defense. FSU had shown everything on defense and it wasn't all that scary. To the point that I was pretty confident driving the ball 20-13, we got stopped. Then I was pretty confident we'd score after Berrios' punt return. Then I figured we'd win the game if we could tie with the extra point. Apparently, my confidence was for naught, because we could never put it all together.

I am going to have a hard time accepting that Herndon and Njoku combined for 4 receptions for 28 yards. People will say "they created no separation." I saw Herndon thrown a quick out while being covered by Nickel corner. What the heck else can anyone expect? If I'm playing Nickel or Safety against a bigger, slower WR/TE, of course I want the guy to try to beat me going away where I can just close out. Herndon and Njoku going vertical or combining routes was the hope.

By the way, we did run plays down the middle of the field in practice. And, no, they're not all slow developing plays at all, so you can protect your OL while running them. Not sure where those were on Saturday night.

Touche'. Good points.

I wanted to see us attack them with that 12 personnel set with the TE playing in line and attacking the seams.(like most of us)

I'm not sure what was going on with Mark but I'm not ready to give up on him because of that game.

Like you said, these next few games will tell us a lot about Mark Richt.

Advertisement
LOL. Kelly is who he is. And FSU will continue to get mangled by competent offenses. Sorry *** USF had their way with FSU and Flowers is a horrible passer. He makes Rosier look like Tom Brady.

FSU personnel in the back 7 without Jones is down bigtime or completely green with no experience. Trubisky is far from a runner, and Fedora didn't ask him to run against FSU. He picked them apart out of a shotgun spread using tempo.

USf qb is a runner tho, chise.
He had like 15 carries for 145+ yards IIRC.

Trubisky is a known athlete and had a sweet *** rushing TD against FSU.

Kelly played way conservative against those teams as opposed to the aggression he showed against us.

You cant deny that fact, bro.
Rick had no answers for a bad DC. He did nothing to beat Kelly's adjustment. Yes. Flowers can run. But he can't pass. Trubisky barely ran at all, and they still destroyed FSU with the pass game.

Kelly's adjustment was simple. It's not like he brought in all new players or invented a brand new scheme.

Rick should have had answers because, at the end of the day, that was still a really pedestrian back 7, and we did nothing to make them pay.

Kelly played way conservative against those teams as opposed to the aggression he showed against us.

Rick had no answers for a bad DC. He did nothing to beat Kelly's adjustment. Yes. Flowers can run. But he can't pass. Trubisky barely ran at all, and they still destroyed FSU with the pass game.

Kelly's adjustment was simple. It's not like he brought in all new players or invented a brand new scheme.

Rick should have had answers because, at the end of the day, that was still a really pedestrian back 7, and we did nothing to make them pay.

And he's been coaching to long to NOT expect the unexpected.

It's really hard to accept that Charles Kelly outdueled mark Richt.

Is this indicative of our future or a blip on the road to getting "bak"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I agree I don't think this was the same FSU defense as we've seen in prior weeks. I don't think they are great but they defeinately aren't the bums ppl were professing them to be.

With that said Richt still needed to do a better
Job of adjusting to what was being run in the game.

Also something that i still can't understand is why we stopped using RB screens in the game. FSU didn't defend them that well and it helped negate the pass rush. Once we stopped using the screens thats when our Oline really started to struggle.

Last edited:
I agree I don't think this was the same FSU defense as we've seen in prior weeks. I don't think they are great but they defeinately aren't the bums ppl were professing them to be.

Also something that i still can't understand is why we stopped using RB screens in the game. FSU didn't defend them that well and it helped negate the pass rush. Once we stopped using the screens that when our Oline really started to struggle.

They are worse than last year and "much worse" compared to what they usually will trot out there - especially without Derwin.

Agree totally on the screens. They were beautifully run and, if you're going to overcall something, call that and let Kaaya throw it into the dirt if it's not there. Oh well.

Advertisement

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's why I've been saying since the FSU abortion that I hope to God that Rick is capable of making adjustments to the offense and then that he isn't too stubborn to do it. Not only did he get outdueled by sorry as Chaz Kelly but our offense was better with stank *** Coley running it.

Also something that i still can't understand is why we stopped using RB screens in the game. FSU didn't defend them that well and it helped negate the pass rush. Once we stopped using the screens thats when our Oline really started to struggle.
The little middle screen he missed to Walton might have gone for a TD.

I agree with OP to a certain extent.... but when FSU had 8 in the box and was leaving their CBs on an island there is no reason Stacey Coley or Richards shouldn't have caught some deep balls. We didn't stretch the field once. Don't give me the OL excuse... you have to take some deep shots in man coverage. **** throw it up 1v1 and let your WR make a play or get a PI call. No need to even play action - don't need to freeze the LBs because you're looking for a WR streak.

Another poster pointed it out the other day - but Gino Toretta was a master at getting rid of the ball fast and putting it up for his WRs in 1v1 coverage. His OL's weren't great at all.

See 1:36 as an example (against FSU no less)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3C0ItMM8g

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's why I've been saying since the FSU abortion that I hope to God that Rick is capable of making adjustments to the offense and then that he isn't too stubborn to do it. Not only did he get outdueled by sorry as Chaz Kelly but our offense was better with stank *** Coley running it.

smfh. I cant deal. If we don't put up 28+ ON UNC im going to frikkin walk the plank

Advertisement

To tell ya the truth, I still don't see what adjustments Kelly made. He had a bunch of kids on an adrenaline high playing their rivals. He lost his best linebacker, his most experience safety, and replaced him with a converted WR that was running the wrong way on several plays.

He has to feel like the turkey that survived Thanksgiving. He had the same if not worse holes in his defense. Other than play Lane, he had no other bullets, he was powerless to stop us. But we didn't even attempt to exploit it. :hammering_head:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

smfh. I cant deal. If we don't put up 28+ ON UNC im going to frikkin walk the plank

Anything close to 28 against that **** *** UNC defense, and it'll be a major disappointment. I got a feeling we'll need at least 35 to win.

To tell ya the truth, I still don't see what adjustments Kelly made. He had a bunch of kids on an adrenaline high playing their rivals. He lost his best linebacker, his most experience safety, and replaced him with a converted WR that was running the wrong way on several plays.

He has to feel like the turkey that survived Thanksgiving. He had the same if not worse holes in his defense. Other than play Lane, he had no other bullets, he was powerless to stop us. But we didn't even attempt to exploit it. :hammering_head:

I'm still sick to my stomach over the lost opportunity to beat those fckbags.

Advertisement

Pre snap alignment and trust in your players mean A LOT.

He didn't change his entire defense. He just became more trusting of his players to play closer to the line of scrimmage AND NOT give up the big play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfINT5bBPX0 <------------------ Look at the first play of the Louisville game. Look how much space we FSU is giving up to the wide side of the field. Mark abused App state for doing just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6j6sKZtbbM <---------------------- 19:12 mark is our first play. See the difference in alignment and trust?

Charles Kelly was terrified of Louisville defense. He started off confident vs UNC until they picked up a few first downs and then went right back to that conservative crap. Reminds me of Dorito

...Charles Kelly was terrified of Louisville defense. He started off confident vs UNC until they picked up a few first downs and then went right back to that conservative crap. Reminds me of Dorito

I see the pre-snap alignment, but as you say, he didn't do anything he didn't show before. If we went after it early, chances are he would have backed off ... and that may have opened up the running game for the rest of the game.

...Charles Kelly was terrified of Louisville defense. He started off confident vs UNC until they picked up a few first downs and then went right back to that conservative crap. Reminds me of Dorito

I see the pre-snap alignment, but as you say, he didn't do anything he didn't show before. If we went after it early, chances are he would have backed off ... and that may have opened up the running game for the rest of the game.

Its easy to say in hindsight but i doubt that would be the case. We will know when Clemson plays FSU

flowers big runs occured after they were already down like 3-4 td's

Advertisement
Back