Charles Kelly

Canezum5

Senior
Premium
Although it may be an illusion; Kelly was a completely different coordinator last night.

Fsu defense has struggled for a lot of the same reasons ours did under Golden. Florida boys and 5 star athletes have a tough time sitting back watching plays develop as opposed to attacking them like they were brought up to do.

Kelly played a lot of aggressive man coverage. He hasnt coached a game that agressive since he was hired.

That is a fact and it changes the whole "fsu defense suck" narrative.

Imo, Kelly was extremely confident in letting his defense play aggressive because kaaya is a statue and our O-line is a liability.

With the aggressive presnap alignments the Rpos were null and void. We were forced to adjust our game and we couldnt. They dared us to throw it deep and it seems as if Richt was too afraid to leave kaaya in the pocket for a deep ball.

Fsu defense may suck and Kelly will probably go back to the hot seat; but football is a game of matchups and our weaknesses were exposed a bit.

Sidenote:

Also we forget that Kaaya has full autonomy to check in and out of plays. How can we truly know if Richt or Kaaya is to blame for the playcalling when we dont what plays kaaya could check in and out of?

We will just go ahead and blame the coach on this one.

Richt/kaaya called a good enough game to put us in position to go up 20-3 with all the momentum.

Kaaya screwed us with that pic and also placed a magnifying glass on every aspect of the game by doing so.
I dont think we are nearly as critical of the game without that pic.
Richts going to have to do some real soul searching and figure out whether he wants to call plays and match wits on gameday with DCs because he had no adjustments for kellys adjustments and didnt trust our players enough if he did. We gotta be able to change on the fly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Richt should've stuck with the uptempo passing game that was working in the first half. That's him not Kayaa. With 1:38 left and the need for a 3 and out stop anyhow, Richt should've done an onside kick.

Richt should've stuck with the uptempo passing game that was working in the first half. That's him not Kayaa. With 1:38 left and the need for a 3 and out stop anyhow, Richt should've done an onside kick.

Uptempo was getting us a rhythm. I agree.

But i disagree with the onside kick. That didnt decide the game and its a fairly smart decision regardless of what you choose to do because its even probability for success, imo.

Uptempo was getting us a rhythm. I agree.

But i disagree with the onside kick. That didnt decide the game and its a fairly smart decision regardless of what you choose to do because its even probability for success, imo.

Well... It was a winnable game. I can only hope that Richt doesn't put this on the players not executing his system like Alf Golden did with the defense. Hopefully, he adjusts to the personnel he has and what the defense is giving us.

I made this post because people arent paying attention and believe we can attack FSU the same way other offenses have attacked them and thats simply not true.

Fsu had been playing donofrio ball all season.

Thats why they they were getting gashed.

Kelly does not know how to scheme for a running qb at all.

He played press man coverage on us and our wrs and Tes were getting NO SEPERATION.

Our offensive line was nor going to hold up long enough for crossing routes and deep balls to develop.

If you watched FSU FILM from the Houston game up umtil saturday you would know our gameplan would have destroyed the defense they typically trot out there.

We just need better athletes for what we want to do and richt needs to install a plan b offense for situations like this.

Advertisement
I made this post because people arent paying attention and believe we can attack FSU the same way other offenses have attacked them and thats simply not true.

He played press man coverage on us and our wrs and Tes were getting NO SEPERATION.

Our offensive line was nor going to hold up long enough for crossing routes and deep balls to develop.

If you watched FSU FILM from the Houston game up umtil saturday you would know our gameplan would have destroyed the defense they typically trot out there.

We just need better athletes for what we want to do and richt needs to install a plan b offense for situations like this.

So Rozier would've done better than Kayaa?

Hard to say that knowing the system Richt uses.

I do believe Kelly would have played a lot more of that typical soft zone he likes to run if Kaaya were to pick up 1 slow *** first down for once in his career.

Imo, our gameplan was to attack them for playing so much zone and soft coverage, in previous weeks, and they switched it up on us. Fsu is better equiped to defend us like that because they match up well to stop a pocket qb

We werent ready for what they did.

Last edited:

I do believe Kelly would have played a lot more of that typical soft zone he likes to run if Kaaya were to pick up 1 slow *** first down for once in his career.

Imo, our gameplan was to attack them for playing so much zone and soft coverage, in previous weeks, and they switched it up on us. Fsu is better equiped to defend us like that because they match up well to stop a pocket qb

Sounds like N'kosi Perry will take Richt's offense where it needs to go.

No. Rosier isnt the passer the other qbs are that fsu played.

Advertisement

I think this is how fsu will play going forward. Fsu fans was calling for kelly to be fired and he knew he had to do something. And jimbo said they were going to change some things up defensively.

This reads like an excuse but I think it's an indictment of Richt. He's been coaching offense at this level for a couple decades. A team comes out and runs man when you were expecting zone. That should have taken him about 2 minutes to make the necessary adjustments. But they never came. How about some shallow crossing routes out of bunch formations or stacked receivers?

This reads like an excuse but I think it's an indictment of Richt. He's been coaching offense at this level for a couple decades. A team comes out and runs man when you were expecting zone. That should have taken him about 2 minutes to make the necessary adjustments. But they never came. How about some shallow crossing routes out of bunch formations or stacked receivers?

THIS.

So Coley, Richards, Njoku, and Herndon (who will all play on Sundays) isn't enough receiver talent? We need 4 Andre Johnsons?

Where were the man-beaters? Why not run off their coverage and get our RBs in space underneath?

First step is admitting we have a problem. Let's hope Richt self-scouts and improves. Otherwise he's gonna have to build a superteam.

He toyed with Coach Rick, played with his emotions and then left cab fare on the night stand for him.

Advertisement
Kelly was Kelly and Richt was Richt. Both are mediocre Coordinators...but Kelly was better on Saturday.

LOL. Kelly is who he is. And FSU will continue to get mangled by competent offenses. Sorry *** USF had their way with FSU and Flowers is a horrible passer. He makes Rosier look like Tom Brady.

FSU personnel in the back 7 without Jones is down bigtime or completely green with no experience. Trubisky is far from a runner, and Fedora didn't ask him to run against FSU. He picked them apart out of a shotgun spread using tempo.

That's why I said we need to implement a plan B offense.

Richt was very reluctant to stray from the original game plan. Most coaches would in their first year at a program. I really would like to know why we weren't ready to adjust on the fly.

Advertisement
Although it may be an illusion; Kelly was a completely different coordinator last night.

Fsu defense has struggled for a lot of the same reasons ours did under Golden. Florida boys and 5 star athletes have a tough time sitting back watching plays develop as opposed to attacking them like they were brought up to do.

Kelly played a lot of aggressive man coverage. He hasnt coached a game that agressive since he was hired.

That is a fact and it changes the whole "fsu defense suck" narrative.

Imo, Kelly was extremely confident in letting his defense play aggressive because kaaya is a statue and our O-line is a liability.

With the aggressive presnap alignments the Rpos were null and void. We were forced to adjust our game and we couldnt. They dared us to throw it deep and it seems as if Richt was too afraid to leave kaaya in the pocket for a deep ball.

Fsu defense may suck and Kelly will probably go back to the hot seat; but football is a game of matchups and our weaknesses were exposed a bit.

Sidenote:

Also we forget that Kaaya has full autonomy to check in and out of plays. How can we truly know if Richt or Kaaya is to blame for the playcalling when we dont what plays kaaya could check in and out of?

We will just go ahead and blame the coach on this one.

Richt/kaaya called a good enough game to put us in position to go up 20-3 with all the momentum.

Kaaya screwed us with that pic and also placed a magnifying glass on every aspect of the game by doing so.
I dont think we are nearly as critical of the game without that pic.
Richts going to have to do some real soul searching and figure out whether he wants to call plays and match wits on gameday with DCs because he had no adjustments for kellys adjustments and didnt trust our players enough if he did. We gotta be able to change on the fly.

So what you're saying is Kelly changed the way he plays defense because we don't have a running QB (UNC didn't run their QB all over the place), and Richt was not prepared to adjust to this?
Are you also saying that when Kelly began dropping a Safety down into the box - leaving a single high, vulnerable S - Richt did not send two TEs down the seam on what only requires less than 2 seconds of OL protection?
Are you then saying Richt failed to adjust his playcalls for route combinations that tested a shaky secondary?
Did we both see Coley's separation down the seam on the pass Berrios attracted a Pass Interference call?
Did we run *any* in breaking routes for Herndon or Njoku?

Sounds like we saw a lot of the same things. We're just concluding different things. Players made mistakes, no doubt. Players dropped balls or had errors (Coley's neutral zone infraction killed a likely TD drive to go 20-3). But, if your coach isn't prepared or willing to adjust, at least the majority of blame falls on him. If he can't admit that himself, we have a bigger problem than a rigid gameplan against our biggest rival.

LOL. Kelly is who he is. And FSU will continue to get mangled by competent offenses. Sorry *** USF had their way with FSU and Flowers is a horrible passer. He makes Rosier look like Tom Brady.

FSU personnel in the back 7 without Jones is down bigtime or completely green with no experience. Trubisky is far from a runner, and Fedora didn't ask him to run against FSU. He picked them apart out of a shotgun spread using tempo.

The fact that they had Erma Lane back there playing defense after just moving to the position a couple of weeks ago and he didn't get abused bothers me.

And I don't think you necessarily need Mike Vick or Lamar Jackson back there to expose them. Just someone that is a potential threat to run the ball. Trubisky could run 4-5 yards to pick up 3rd and 4 if necessary.

Last edited:

USf qb is a runner tho, chise.
He had like 15 carries for 145+ yards IIRC.

Trubisky is a known athlete and had a sweet *** rushing TD against FSU.

Kelly played way conservative against those teams as opposed to the aggression he showed against us.

You cant deny that fact, bro.

We didn't attack the seams of that defense. Not once. They have aleast 2 more loss coming. They are going to get raped by Clemson. Our offense blew that game. Too many freaking RPOs.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back