Change in Offensive Play Calling - Post Pollendy

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
First off, I'm hoping Pollendy experiences a speedy recovery... However, the loss of our 2nd TE for the season can be a good thing for this offense...

Once the dust settled after signing day, Coach Richt and Staff was very excited with the idea that we brought in two very talented TE's... From there, most folks (us fans) began to run with the idea of NE's offense; when both Gronk and Psycho played together, and the staff seemed to share those sentiments... But, this thread isn't leaning the way you might think...

Some may see Pollendy's loss as an opening to get both Freshman TE's in the game heavy and often, but with our blocking woes in the trenches, and as ACC play draws closer, I think it's a mistake to over emphasize the usage/lay the burden on the young TE's this soon.

1) Those guys still need to develop and get stronger, so that they aren't a liability in the trenches/big lights, when competition really gets tough.
2) Injury concerns, if we have another guy get wiped out, it'll really force our hand.

There was an old song that said: "Take your time young man - momma used to say" ...And thats the theme I'm suggesting with the TE's. I'm not saying not to play these guys, matter of fact we should sprinkle them in to get them experience... But this isnt their team, they aren't the strength of the team right now, they aren't Seniors. Down the line, I hope they go on to be great, but the mythological idea that out of the gate => 2 TE package will be the **** for us is dumb!!

I'll even say this, love how Langham turned his career around, but him in the game with both freshman TE's, and Thomas on the other side... The defense knows to keep eyes on Thomas, because the other guys aren't extreme threats.

With the talent we have stocked at WR it's time to simmer down on the TE U stuff, and go with the strength of this offense. It's time to open it up mane!! I was actually pleasantly surprised when we ran our offense outside of that RPO stuff vs Toledo. Its time to see more 10 Personnel (1 RB 4WR), 11 is fine (1RB 1TE 3WR) if you're splitting the TE out wide.

When you put too much action in the box it makes things more complex for the QB to read whats going on, and lets face it, Rosier isn't Peyton Manning; or even Kaaya as far as football IQ alone.

Spreading the offense out wide, with some occasional motion, will really help Rosier -or- whoever you put in there. Why...if the offense only has 5 guys on the line (Tackle Box), and the defense decides to rush 6, someone's open already. It's a numbers game, and it easy to coach a QB up in those circumstances. Additionally, motion for the most part shows the QB if the defense is in man or zone... We gotta help the QB out Pre-Snap to have some success with this OL. We can not be vanilla, when you're not the more talented team in the offensive trenches.

I would love to see more of Cager, Pope, Hightower, along with Thomas in the game at the same time. That's too much talent to defer, just to revolve the offense around a 2 TE set!

Do you guys agree that the WR's are the strength of this team until further notice?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Personnel sets will remain about the same. It has been mentioned that Polendy only played like 8 snaps against Savannah State. The offense will not be overhauled because we lost a player that played less then 10 snaps a game.

Personnel sets will remain about the same. It has been mentioned that Polendy only played like 8 snaps against Savannah State. The offense will not be overhauled because we lost a player that played less then 10 snaps a game.

What I'm saying is that it's risky to play both TE's healthwise, which should make us more careful abt their usage. Also, I'm pointing out that we have more favorable options. So, this post is more about the offensive philosophy than it is about Pollendy.

We're loaded at WR, that is the strength of our team. Time to move on from that 2TE mentality.

UM should consider using more unbalanced line formations and then run play action occasionally out of that power formation.

Go Canes

[QUOTE="bigsonnyu, post: 3455337, member: 3870"

Do you guys agree that the WR's are the strength of this team until further notice?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really like our WRs, outside of Langham who just doesn't show me that much.

Advertisement
Has anything in the 3 years since this Coach has been here, show you that he will adjust or change anything? I think we will see the same playcalling amd formations.

I-Formation
Jet Sweeps
Route trees have changed and improved considerably
Quick slants
Much more creativity in the red zone resulting in 100% RZ Touchdown percentage.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative.

Last edited:
Polendy got injured in freaking warmups.

I do agree I'd like to see more 10 personnel just so we can get Harley/Ezzard/Pope on the field more.

But you cant eliminate the risk of injury. Just have to hope Brevin/Mallory stay healthy

I-Formation
Jet Sweeps
Route trees have changed and improved considerably
Quick slants
Much more creativity in the red zone resulting in 100% RZ Touchdown percentage.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative.
Asking because I hear a lot a chatter on the board. And get different perspectives. Thats all

Advertisement
Richt addressed this yesterday. He said Mallory is going to be backing up Brevin in the F more because we can't have one guy out there for 60,70,80 snaps. We will probably still some two tight looks in short yardage, but less of Mallory being flexed out at the Y along with Brevin at the F on passing situations. So, to me that says when we go 4 wide, it's going to be 4 WRs rather than 3 WRs and a TE.

Perfect. That gives our QB less time to make a throw once our **** O-line gets blasted from the start.

Actually a prime example was Mark Whipple as UM OC loved to use unbalanced lines to help the running game along with quick throws.

An quite a few college teams use this formation to gain leverage.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Tbh I thought the best we saw from this team was richts first year our last few games. Offense was rolling with the two TEs we had. Only difference was kaaya was better than rosier. Don’t go getting rid of good stuff that we can do

Richt addressed this yesterday. He said Mallory is going to be backing up Brevin in the F more because we can't have one guy out there for 60,70,80 snaps. We will probably still some two tight looks in short yardage, but less of Mallory being flexed out at the Y along with Brevin at the F on passing situations. So, to me that says when we go 4 wide, it's going to be 4 WRs rather than 3 WRs and a TE.

Hoping so!!

Advertisement
Tbh I thought the best we saw from this team was richts first year our last few games. Offense was rolling with the two TEs we had. Only difference was kaaya was better than rosier. Don’t go getting rid of good stuff that we can do

We had veteran TE's at that point. We not have 2 TE's still trying to adjusted to college football. There have been play where they've been manhandled in the trenches, causing the play to blow up. They aren't just pass catches, there need to be able to block as well.

Not sure we need to change the offense based on the loss of a guy who has played 18 snaps this year. We should be running more 4 WR sets regardless of a 3rd string TE who can’t play here anyway.

Not sure we need to change the offense based on the loss of a guy who has played 18 snaps this year. We should be running more 4 WR sets regardless of a 3rd string TE who can’t play here anyway.

Totally agree, but Richt may not have changed his opinion on the direction of the offense, if Pollendy didn't get hurt. Now that we're down to 2 scholarship TE's, it's forcing him to re-evaluate things.

That's my point... It should have been the direction of the offense from the start.

We'll see less 2 TE sets on passing downs but otherwise, no big changes. Instead of having Jordan lined up inline with Mallory in the slot, they'll just use a receiver in the slot and rotate Mallory and Jordan.

Advertisement
Back