Chaminade DT Haye commits to UM, breaks down pledge

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Chaminade-Madonna (FL) 3-star DT Allan Haye publicly committed to the Miami Hurricanes this morning after informing the staff last night, becoming the 11th commitment and 2nd defensive tackle in the 2021 class.

“I wanted to do it for a minute now, but I had woken up that morning with that gut feeling that I was ready to commit,” Haye said. “I had called my mom and got her in on the FaceTime chat with Manny Diaz and coach (Todd) Stroud and I broke the news right there. They were excited and they were showing it a little bit more, I was trying to keep it all in.”

The time was right for the 6-1 295 pound interior lineman, who says he has known for awhile that he would end up giving his pledge to UM. Haye chose Miami over offers from Iowa State, Louisville, NC State, Kentucky, and Pitt, among others.

“There’s a number of schools that kept in touch with me during the quarantine, but I felt guilty every time I talked with them,” Haye said. “I felt like I was committed even before I actually was committed. I would talk to coaches and then go right back and talk with coach Stroud and see how he was doing. I didn’t want to waste anyone else’s time.”

Stroud played a big role in helping to secure Haye’s commitment, and the Miami DL coach’s main pitch revolved around the pipeline that UM has built with Chaminade-Madonna in recent years; Haye is the third commitment from the Lions so far in the 2021 class, joining RB Thad Franklin and K Andres Borregales, while UM also signed three players from the school in the 2019 class (S Keontra Smith, CB Te’Cory Couch, and DE Cameron Williams).

“He says Lions do good over there,” Haye said of Stroud. “He’s the type of coach that will slow it down and talk to you, he won’t BS you. He’s a cool guy, he’s not a hothead or anything. Even with my little experience playing, I like to think I have a high football IQ, but sometimes stuff will slip me, and I need that patience from a coach.”

Another factor that made Haye comfortable committing to Miami? Maintaining a connection to the style of football that has made him successful after only two seasons of playing the sport.

“It’s about South Florida football,” Haye said. “Me starting to play at such a late time in my life, that’s what I know and that’s the type of players I’ve had success around, so I don’t really want to change it right now. Smashmouth football, flying around, talking smack – that’s what I think of when I think of South Florida football, and Miami’s the closest thing to it right now.”

Now that Haye is officially a commit, he says he’s already planning to go to work recruiting and is looking to get 2021 St. Thomas (FL) WR Quincy Skinner and his 2022 teammate at Chaminade in DE Jamaal Johnson on board with the Canes.

As for the current 2021 Canes commits, Haye is enthusiastic about how the class stands right now and what they can do at Miami.

“I workout with Ja’Corey Hammett and I play with Thad Franklin and Andres Borregales – they are all great players,” Haye said. “I’m just excited to come in with this class and start helping the team get better and win games.”

In 2019, Haye registered 68 tackles, 8 TFL, and 6 sacks working on the interior of the D-Line during his junior season as Chaminade took home another state title.

“I watch a lot of film, I watch a lot of players I admire. I’m a big cat - I can move, I can stop the run at a high level,” Haye said. “I can pass rush, I can do everything. Whatever they need me to do, I’ll do it.”

Ultimately, what are Haye’s goals as Hurricane?

“I want to be somebody that, after I’m done being a Hurricane, everybody still talks about and people remember. The greatest like Vince Wilfork, Warren Sapp - I’m trying to be like that.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree with this.

For as horrible as we played last year, we kept our DL class in tact except for the DE from GA.

And we're doing fine so far with the '21 class.

Don't know how well Stroud can evaluate and develop yet, but I have concerns about plenty of other coaches before him.

Including the HC.

Advertisement
Yeah, they actually do.
Stroud is so far off my radar right now

How Patke and rumph still have jobs here absolutely baffles me...

Patke cant coach... can’t recruit... why haven’t we upgraded?

Rumph marginal coach who seems to be decent.... recruiting?? Awful who even spurns players away (see CJ Henderson)

Advertisement
Stroud is so far off my radar right now

How Patke and rumph still have jobs here absolutely baffles me...

Patke cant coach... can’t recruit... why haven’t we upgraded?

Rumph marginal coach who seems to be decent.... recruiting?? Awful who even spurns players away (see CJ Henderson)

Why the Patke hate? It is recruiting? Finley played pretty well at striker the last couple years.

Advertisement
I like this kids tape. Something to keep in mind, he's a strong kid naturally who will get stronger in college. These undersized DTs are the wave sometimes because of a naturally low pad level. And this kid has long arms. I think hes a steal. Want to pair him with someone more polished and with more athleticism and if you can, that's a good DT class.

Paranos has practically been wishing death on the man.

So a few months ago when Ron Burton and Kevin Patrick were available can you say either one wouldn't have been an upgrade at dline coach if Miami had hired either one and moved Stroud to Assoc Chief of Staff.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back