CFP Expansion

What is the right # for the CFP?

• Total voters

AutoCANE

My name is my name.
Premium
Just curious everyone’s opinions on this topic. After this cluster**** of a bowl season, and the ramp up of opt outs in these meaningless bowls, I definitely think something drastic needs to be done. I know there is a vote upcoming, but are these folks going to have the intestinal fortitude to make the disruptive change that needs to be made?

Is 12 really the right number? 16? I used to be a proponent of an 8 team playoff to incorporate all of the New Year’s Six bowls, but now I don’t think that is enough. The game has changed and the bowls are done. Toast. Need to maximize the games that mean something.

I think 16 is the absolute minimum honestly. Need to have a mini-playoff for the G5 and give them an auto bid or something.

Advertisement
There are clearly issues with only the 4.
The fact that the starting qb from a team in the peach bowl that has no.12 vs no.10 deciding to sit it out shows that unless you are a playoff team, the game is irrelevant.

Garrett Wilson is sitting out the **** rose bowl. Say what you will about the BCS, but at least some of these “other” bowls meant something. The current playoff means that only 3 bowls are interesting. The rest are a waste of time unless you are in some special circumstances. Eg. G5’s first bowl game or something similar.

Above 12 games and you are starting to eat into the OOC schedule. I also think there are plenty of problems with the current 12 team proposal. Need to keep rivalries, and conference schedules.
And stop trying to shoehorn bowl games into a playoff tournament. It doesn’t work and you are tarnishing some of the best games ever

Just curious everyone’s opinions on this topic. After this cluster**** of a bowl season, and the ramp up of opt outs in these meaningless bowls, I definitely think something drastic needs to be done. I know there is a vote upcoming, but are these folks going to have the intestinal fortitude to make the disruptive change that needs to be made?

Is 12 really the right number? 16? I used to be a proponent of an 8 team playoff to incorporate all of the New Year’s Six bowls, but now I don’t think that is enough. The game has changed and the bowls are done. Toast. Need to maximize the games that mean something.

I think 16 is the absolute minimum honestly. Need to have a mini-playoff for the G5 and give them an auto bid or something.
16 would be the perfect number, in my opinion.

Advertisement
With NIL money, conference expansion and college football free agency, this is going to have to become more like college basketball to be worth playing in the post season for the athletes. The bowl games have lost their luster and parity isn’t real in the viewers mind. We’ll have four/five large conferences. They’ll be split into two divisions each. The winners of each division will draw automatic bids. The conference championship games will be for seeding and bye weeks for the winners. The non power four/five will get invites like basketball. Teams will only play conference games in the regular season. The current bowl games/branding will become the weekly playoff seeding. It’s going to become bigger and better for everyone. I hope it’s as large a field as possible and brackets are everywhere.

How many teams does it have to be expanded to so that the winner of tomorrow’s UM-Wash St makes it? Will make a difference on how a certain poster votes....

An 8 team playoff is a waste.
thats-a-fact-jack.gif

Advertisement
I’m not a fan of super conferences.

I like the way it use to be. If your in a conference, you play EVERYBODY in your conference. That eliminates the need for a champ game because it’s already been settled on the field.

Greed has taken control with super leagues And conference championship games. The only reason they added conf champ games was for another payday.

Super Leagues are one of the things that have ruined college football.

You know the system is fckd beyond belief when a team can not win its own conference but can win a National Championship.

I like the way it use to be. If your in a conference, you play EVERYBODY in your conference. That eliminates the need for a champ game because it’s already been settled on the field.

Greed has taken control with super leagues And conference championship games. The only reason they added conf champ games was for another payday.

You know the system is fckd beyond belief when a team can not win its own conference but can win a National Championship.
While I too pine for the days gone by....the game that we love looks nothing like the game that we knew. The opt-out snowball isn't going to stop or slow unless we make the postseason games mean something.

Super conferences are here...it's how we manage it going forward that is the key.

Unfortunately we're at a poker table and nobody wants to push any chips to the center. They're all side-stacking to make sure that they don't lose out.

Advertisement

Nfl teams have won the super bowl without winning their division…so the nfl playoffs must be messed up too. And by expanding the playoffs, all you’re doing is creating more opportunities for teams that didn’t win their conference to win the CFP

Last edited:
8-12 teams.

No automatic bids.

If you did have automatic bids for P5 champs, divisions should be scrapped.

Best two teams in each conference play for the conference title, with the winner going to the playoff.

Americans are obsessed with playoffs. Don’t you get tired of having to wait until the end of the season for all the most meaningful games? CFB used to have the best regular season but it’s clear y’all want to ruin that

Advertisement
A 16-team playoff sounds just like 1-AA, D2, and D3.

There's no need to discuss some outlandish formula for it. That model has existed for decades. If you're obsessed with expanding the playoff (I'm not), then just copy it.

6 team playoff.

5 auto bids for ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC champs + 1 at-large.

The conference championships act as the de-facto 1st round eliminating redundant bad matchups if you have a large bracket of 12/16 teams. Think of it as re-seeding the playoff teams after the conference championships are played.

There are clearly issues with only the 4.
The fact that the starting qb from a team in the peach bowl that has no.12 vs no.10 deciding to sit it out shows that unless you are a playoff team, the game is irrelevant.

Garrett Wilson is sitting out the **** rose bowl. Say what you will about the BCS, but at least some of these “other” bowls meant something. The current playoff means that only 3 bowls are interesting. The rest are a waste of time unless you are in some special circumstances. Eg. G5’s first bowl game or something similar.

Above 12 games and you are starting to eat into the OOC schedule. I also think there are plenty of problems with the current 12 team proposal. Need to keep rivalries, and conference schedules.
And stop trying to shoehorn bowl games into a playoff tournament. It doesn’t work and you are tarnishing some of the best games ever
Nothing solves that problem other than 16 team playoff and at that point who cares about the regular season. The game was better before mega conferences and playoffs but that ship has sailed.

There’s always going to be someone who feels they got shafted. If you just pick the conference champions, you’re potentially telling Georgia “sorry, Wake Forrest is better” which even Wake fans would admit is stupid.

Advertisement
Back