CFB revenues & profit, interesting read

Advertisement
I'm gonna guess no one reads:

"Of course, these are only balances for the schools’ football programs, not their entire athletic departments. In the case of profits, they are commonly spread around to subsidize the schools’ Olympic or “non-revenue” sports, the vast majority of which run at deficits, some of them substantial."

So, for all the "mIAmI haaazz muhhney" morons on here, this is exactly what I've been saying for a good year now.
Sht, that's always been the case. Back in my day we knew that football paid for everything else. Miami has money, but it doesn't come from the football program.

Now i dont know if I should buy a shirt or make a donation.

Advertisement
Like the commercial dumbest person just bought a billion dollar yacht don't get mad get etrade.

LOL - what?

I’m not even sure you know what you’re asking. Sober up and ask again when you’re more lucid.

Didn't mean "boy "- fat fingers, lack of proof reading or auto correct --- I meant BOT. It seems you always are on guard to defend the administration and I wonder if you are paid to do it. You seem very dedicated to it.

Oh, by the way, I'm old so your lucid comment is probably a criminal offense these days but don't worry I'm also Italian and going to the police, even the PC police, is not our way.

Didn't mean "boy "- fat fingers, lack of proof reading or auto correct --- I meant BOT. It seems you always are on guard to defend the administration and I wonder if you are paid to do it. You seem very dedicated to it.

Oh, by the way, I'm old so your lucid comment is probably a criminal offense these days but don't worry I'm also Italian and going to the police, even the PC police, is not our way.

Advertisement
In your diatribe a few months back, you also showcased little grasp of the difference between accounting profits and cash flow, and claimed investment banks worked with rich families for their clients (or something nonsensical to that nature). Despite your bluster, you seem to have little to show for it.

Miami's largest expense as shown is reimbursement to the broader University for the "cost" of athletic scholarships. This is an accounting expense, not a true cash cost, used as a way to move dollars to where the school prioritizes budgeting them. So yes Miami has a ton of money, where we choose to direct it (athletics vs. other projects) is a different debate.
It's not a debate. Every school subsidizes it's other sports with football and basketball revenue. Without it, those other sports don't exist. No school is going to cancel all their sports except football and basketball just to hoard a profit (which they can't due to non profit status) or spend all the football profit on just football. Then factor in Title 9. End of story.

Some surprises for sure. And I've said for years Meatchicken and Texas should be embarrassed not to be better than they are.
WVU lost money, WTF?

The article is great click bait. Unless author was given financial data by insiders at EACH private school, impossible those figures are more than guesses--and blind ones at that.

I've said this for years: Texas has two key revenue generators--merchandise sales and THEIR OWN NETWORK.

Not even Bama has the Roll Tide Channel (give them time).

Also, if PAC 12 can ever get a competent AD, watch out as they will unleash TV contracts in Asia for BILLIONS. Will make SEC TV money look like a beanie weenie budget.

In your diatribe a few months back, you also showcased little grasp of the difference between accounting profits and cash flow, and claimed investment banks worked with rich families for their clients (or something nonsensical to that nature). Despite your bluster, you seem to have little to show for it.

Miami's largest expense as shown is reimbursement to the broader University for the "cost" of athletic scholarships. This is an accounting expense, not a true cash cost, used as a way to move dollars to where the school prioritizes budgeting them. So yes Miami has a ton of money, where we choose to direct it (athletics vs. other projects) is a different debate.

We don't randomly get to charge Dee Jay Dallas 50% of what the average student pays. The tuition is what is minus grants someone may be eligible for, This isn't shifting dollars it's paying a bill that's due.

The article is great click bait. Unless author was given financial data by insiders at EACH private school, impossible those figures are more than guesses--and blind ones at that.

I've said this for years: Texas has two key revenue generators--merchandise sales and THEIR OWN NETWORK.

Not even Bama has the Roll Tide Channel (give them time).

Also, if PAC 12 can ever get a competent AD, watch out as they will unleash TV contracts in Asia for BILLIONS. Will make SEC TV money look like a beanie weenie budget.

Pardon my ignorance, but American college athletics are big in Asian countries?

Advertisement
sure, profit & revenue in dollars matter. but im most interested in the amount of dollars spent and the amount of wins(including the quality of those wins ie- conference /national championships) that are returned from that investment.

i disagree with the belief that its ALL about the $. I believe there are plenty of those who would sacrifice profits for championships. $ is a means to something. and at these levels, glory matters.

We don't randomly get to charge Dee Jay Dallas 50% of what the average student pays. The tuition is what is minus grants someone may be eligible for, This isn't shifting dollars it's paying a bill that's due.

That operates under the assumption that admitting and housing an athlete (or any student) actually costs what we charge for tuition (it doesn't otherwise UM would generate no profit). Again, cash flow vs. accounting, its not overly complex.

Shows how few football programs nationwide actually make money. That list was only the the 65 P5 conference teams and even a handful of those had net losses in football. Every G5 program is losing money. Every FCS, D2, D3 program is just a money pit. Although their costs are significantly lower.
It does make me wonder...what happens when there is a recession? Especially a substantial recession? Does it impact a public university more than a private? And are additional tensions created in scenario when you have escalating coaching and program costs for public universities? Do we see a situation where a Michigan, Alabama, or Georgia are forced to scale back spending?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back