CFB’s Top 25 Coaches Heading into 2024

Where's Billy Napier? He should be near the top, no?

He's hanging out with a certain somebody

Be Quiet Season 2 GIF by Martin

Advertisement
Sark is likely top 5-6 so I won't debate that

Last year's win at a not-ready-for-primetime Bama was nice, but gonna need to see more than a couple of season-ending losses to U-Dub.

It's not like Tom "The Genius" Hermann left a massive rebuild or that UT is a hard place to quickly retool a roster.

Let's see how many times Sark trips over his **** now that the Horns are in the SEC

Advertisement
Imagine Whittingham with elite talent all over the place

He's a great coach for dang sure.

But do wonder how a guy who's built his program primarily off a lot of 3-star grinders would fare with highly recruited 4- and 5-star prospects who may arrive on campus with a different mindset and/or agenda.

Not saying Whittingham wouldn't do well ... just curious to see how it would turn out

Too high : Matt Rhule
He has never won anything outside of a AAC championship. Tf

Too low: Kirk Ferentz he can win 10 games without playing offense. I do not believe 20 other coaches could do that.

Norvell is that high because his combined record these past two seasons is 23-4. He gets credit for developing Travis into a very good CFB QB and hit big on the portal. My biggest qualm with him has always been that his HS Recruiting is not good enough to sustain elite production. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go 8-4 this year and take a big step back. They lost so much production from last year. DJU is an average at best QB, the OL benefited a lot from Travis' mobility, and the WRs are a complete unknown. Roydell and Toafili are good RBs though.

Apples to oranges dude, we are talking about a guy who is number 9 on the list and you are talking about a guy who isn't even on the list, so your argument is pretty much worthless.

Riley is a strange case for sure.

He went 55-10 at OU, but the program was on the downturn when he left for USC.

Despite an incredibly gifted quarterback, the last 16 months at USC were a crapfest going back to the ridiculous Cotton Bowl loss to Tulane.

Riley is clearly one of the best QB whisperers ever and a bonafide offensive genius, but his inability to consistently field teams with even a decent defense is a major red flag. That Riley inexplicably kept Alex Finch last season to run SC's defense was the sort of negligence that likely would've gotten a less-established HC fired.

Honestly, Riley comes across as a small-town West Texas oddball, who'd just like to be left alone to draw up plays on the whiteboard and delegate any and everything else to his assistants.

Pretty much a younger version of Chip Kelly

Last edited:
Advertisement
Too high : Matt Rhule
He has never won anything outside of a AAC championship. Tf

Too low: Kirk Ferentz he can win 10 games without playing offense. I do not believe 20 other coaches could do that.

Rhule did a heck of a job at Temple and righted the ship at Baylor, but you're probably right on both counts. He needs to show some progress in Lincoln this fall

This list is trash. At what point do we start penalizing Ryan Day? Could you imagine in year 4-7 that Mario has a top 3 roster in football and doesn’t win his division once? Let alone conference?

Day and Franklin are one in the same imo.

- Whittingham is a top 5 coach in CFB without a doubt.

This list is trash. At what point do we start penalizing Ryan Day? Could you imagine in year 4-7 that Mario has a top 3 roster in football and doesn’t win his division once? Let alone conference?

Day and Franklin are one in the same imo.

Not a fan of either, but Franklin's relative success at Vandy is a arguably a greater accomplishment than anything Corch Day has done in Columbus

Last edited:
My argument isn't about the list. Your quote was you've never seen a coach do less with more "EVER". We as Miami fans have no business making statements like that lol its like oj criticizing someone for domestic violence
Who’s the “more” you’re referring to? Dudes ain’t been getting drafted from Miami and if they get a shot in the pros they ain’t doing **** so who’s the more?

Advertisement
Who’s the “more” you’re referring to? Dudes ain’t been getting drafted from Miami and if they get a shot in the pros they ain’t doing **** so who’s the more?
I'm talking about the more than middle Tennessee state, more than Duke, more than georgia tech, more than nc state..you know

Advertisement
Mario has done way less with more compared to lincoln riley. Anyone who says otherwise is just bathing in orange and green Kool aid
Ehhh.. I think having coached 3 Heisman winners in the last 10 years and only having Conference Championships to show for that would put him over anyone for the foreseeable future. And to add a lot of other 1st rounders at other positions.

I do agree MC hasn’t maximized his resources to this point and it’s a bit maddening but he hasn’t had the talent LR has had from top to bottom.

Ehhh.. I think having coached 3 Heisman winners in the last 10 years and only having Conference Championships to show for that would put him over anyone for the foreseeable future. And to add a lot of other 1st rounders at other positions.

I do agree MC hasn’t maximized his resources to this point and it’s a bit maddening but he hasn’t had the talent LR has had from top to bottom.
He's 74-18 in 7 years and has lead his team to 3 college football playoffs. Who has more playoff appearances than him? I wouldn't call that accomplishing less just because hasn't won a championship yet.

Hold on, why are ya’ll disagreeing w/ this list? Are u disagreeing b/c of bias or actual results?
Kirk Ferentz said **** offense and won 10 games. As a fan I would hate him but as a bystander he can't be 19.

Advertisement
Back