Cecil Cherry

CaneCounty

Senior
Frostproof (Fla.)
The nation’s No. 9 inside linebacker prospect in the 2015 class, Cecil Cherry visited Miami for the Hurricanes’ 21-16 win over Florida on Sept. 7.
But he remains very solid with the June pledge he made to Tennessee.
“I know I have my mind made up, but if something were to happen to coach Butch Jones, Miami would be my second,” Cherry said.

The four-star linebacker listed Alabama, Georgia, USC and Indiana in his lead group along with obviously the Vols and then the Canes. The 6-foot-1, 225-pounder with a 365-pound bench press has a host of schools he’ll check for games this fall starting with this weekend’s Tennessee at Florida contest. Cherry also plans to go to the Georgia at Tennessee game (Oct. 5), Miami at Florida State game (Nov. 2) and LSU at Alabama game (Nov. 9).
The highlight of his recent Miami visit came in the locker room following the contest.

Class of 2015 athlete Justin "Jett" Spencer could see his stock rise singificantly in the coming months. He's part of a loaded 2015 class at Oviedo (Fla.).
“I got to talk to (future Hall of Fame linebacker and Miami alum) Ray Lewis,” Cherry said. “His son is on the team so I’ve been texting with him.”
This coming spring, Cherry hopes to visit Oregon, LSU, USC, Tennessee and Georgia.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Here are his Soph highlights from 2012. He finished his sophomore season with 116 tackles, two forced fumbles and two interceptions

I think this kid flips, to compare an UM education to Tenn is just plain criminal, even for the country folks Polk county. I feel his cousin Tony Thompson may be in his ear about UT, but in the end with UM having a solid year I think he tells his cousin to go scratch an then opens up his recruitment.

UM is a very close 1B for this kid, he almost committed to UM in the spring. I think his cousin got in the mix an that swayed him to Tenn.

Article talking about Cecil Cherry Almost committing to UM.
http://www.varsitypreps.com/2015-lb-cecil-cherry/

Article about 2015 ILB Cecil Cherry's commitment to Tenn
http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2013/6/14/4430182/tennessee-recruiting-elite-15-linebacker-cecil-cherry-picks-tennessee

FrostProof is Cooooooooouuuuuunnnnntry good lord, but I am not gonna lie those Polk County ladies are talented in certain area. I can't imagine why this kid verbaled to Tenn.

Go Canes

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGD1yu0o0lc[/video]

Last edited:
Tell this kid he can have #52 when he comes in.

Denzel will be heading to the NFL by then if not after this season.

He is about to be a father I believe, so he might feel the pressure to leave before he should.

IMO if Denzel is not a guaranteed 1st or early 2nd round pick, he should def stay for his senior year, but that is obviously his decision.

Anyways, #52 would be available, and since his idol is Ray Lewis and he would be around to give advice and tips since he is now retired and his son(RL3) is on our team, I just don't see how this kid(Cherry) doesn't flip, especially if we have a great season and Tennessee pulls a Tennessee and sucks again.

I'm from Frostproof, and still work here. I played with Alvin Harper and watched Travis Henry explode during his career and if Cecil is getting the UT "treatment" those two did, we'll have a hard time swaying him. I don't know this kid, but I'll see what I can find out about him.

Advertisement
yeah, google "orange pride" and Bryce brown and the gal's name is like Lacey or something like that....my oh my[what a sucker! (no pun intended)

QUOTE=wisecane;1598984]I'm from Frostproof, and still work here. I played with Alvin Harper and watched Travis Henry explode during his career and if Cecil is getting the UT "treatment" those two did, we'll have a hard time swaying him. I don't know this kid, but I'll see what I can find out about him.[/QUOTE]

yeah, google "orange pride" and Bryce brown and the gal's name is like Lacey or something like that....my oh my[what a sucker! (no pun intended)

QUOTE=wisecane;1598984]I'm from Frostproof, and still work here. I played with Alvin Harper and watched Travis Henry explode during his career and if Cecil is getting the UT "treatment" those two did, we'll have a hard time swaying him. I don't know this kid, but I'll see what I can find out about him.
[/QUOTE]

Her name is Lacy Pearl Earp, she is one of those famous recruiting hostess's that used to recruit players. The girls where paid a sliding scale to host Recruits based on the Ranking of the recruit on school their board and how hospitable the hostess was willing to be (Cough cough, slurp slurp, wink wink).

Here is the direct google link!
https://www.google.com/search?q=orange+pride&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.52164340,d.eWU,pv.xjs.s.en_US.CQsooEYev9Y.O&biw=1429&bih=746&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=OZE4UtiZDpOA9gTT2YDgCg#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=8Ams3kZi2JnDLM%3A%3B4N-QhpRE9zQSKM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww4.pictures.zimbio.com%252Fmp%252FQtf8CJyTbpql.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.zimbio.com%252FTennessee%252BVolunteers%252BHostesses%252Farticles%252FqACSyA3Jusm%252FLacey%252BPearl%252BEarps%252BPictures%252BOrange%252BPride%252BInfo%3B594%3B387

Here is an interesting article about one the Orange Pride girls, where the OP girls state that they attended certain away games an interacted with Key Recruits, which is a HUGE NO NO. The visiting team can not have any contact with recruits, but apparently these girls found a way to this, which sounds like what Kiffin did at Tenn when he sent a posse of Vol Gal's to RB Stacy Lattimore's high school game to cheer him on, while all decked out in Tenn gear.

http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/an-orange-pride-girl-tells-her-story

An Orange Pride girl tells her story
Kyle Porter — September 13, 2013

An Orange Pride girl named Lindsay Fredenburg emailed me shortly after the Sports Illustrated story came out today. It’s pretty good.

I was an Orange Pride member from 2004-2006. I was never once asked to have *** with a recruit. NONE of the girls I was on Orange Pride with were ever asked to have *** with a recruit or a player, for that matter.

We were absolutely put with specific recruits. Orange Pride is composed of a group of young ladies with a variety of backgrounds. We are supposed to represent a cross-section of the Oklahoma State student body. It only makes logical sense to put me with a recruit from Houston. I am from Houston. I can tell a kid from Houston what it is like to come from a big city to Stillwater, OK. I can tell parents what the flights are like. I can tell parents what the drive is like. I CAN RELATE.

We didn’t have to pay money to be in Orange Pride. We raised money, and our donors were recognized in the media guide. This money was used to buy our uniforms and help pay for us to attend a select away game each year.

We were held to a very high standard. We knew that we were the face of Oklahoma State University to these people. Most of these kids and their parents had never been on our campus before, so we were their first impression.

I said on Monday, and will say again, it was one of my greatest privileges in life to attend Oklahoma State University and be a member of Orange Pride. I met some of my best friends, and met my husband through this organization. It provided me so many opportunities, and allowed me to promote Oklahoma State, so for that I will eternally remain grateful.

LOL. I love the ole' "we were never ASKED to have *** with a recruit". Yeah..You just did it willingley. Thats why they "recruited" you to be apart of the team. We understand quite clear Lindsay.

Advertisement
Excerpt from an article I read:

Cherry’s cousin, Tony Thompson, was also a former UT running back from 1987-90. Another cousin of Cherry, Alvin Harper, was a former UT receiver from 1987-90. The Frostproof and family connection was a heavy influence on Cherry’s decision to give his pledge to the Vols.

http://polkcountyfootball.com/?p=3146

Advertisement
Back