CBS Evening News-Grand Larceny

Matador, I remember the Tulane game very well. I was listening on the radio, and Joe Crogan was doing the game. It was obvious to me that it was 5th down, and I sat there recounting the downs before the play. We score on it, and I believe there were still a couple of minutes left on the clock. Tulane didn't score and we win. Yeah, they were ****ed. The problem there was the time left on the clock when it happened. In order to rectify the error, they would have to replay the final couple of minutes. Nobody is going to do that.

On the ND game, no fumble was ruled. The only reason it is so widely belived that it was a fumble is because Pat Haden went on and on and on about a fumble. Haden and everyone else at the time were distracted from the FACT that the officialls mistakenly gave ND the ball on downs. If you evr see a reply, watch where Stonebreaker "recovers" the "fumble". Then notice where the ball is placed to start ND's possession.

Advertisement
I feel like this definitely has some racial undertones.

I'm playing the race card mane. This is out of control.
Was talking about the cane hate with my brother today and we agreed, it's just the soft hand of racism. Black, Hispanic, whatever. Take your pic. i have no problem pulling the race card on this.

Agreed. I always said that was the case in the '80's. Used to be my professional expertise, having worked years ago in civil rights, anti-discrimination, etc. Always felt UM was resented because we had proud black kids who strutted and swagged, and didn't take crap. ND, on the other hand, represented The Great White Hope in College Football.

It was sickening (and I'm white).

Love your stuff but your liberal roots blind you to something. It was not that black kids were strutting. Libs in the press and especially our administration would have been okay with that. Sure there were some people more of my stripe, Southern Conservative, who found that offensive but that doesn't explain Foote, Donna and the overwhelmingly liberal press.

The crucial piece of evidence is the fact that those kids did all that because of themselves. They way they came back and supported the next group. The way they created a family that still to this day exists. The liberals could not stand the thought that black kids from the inner city had accomplished the conquest of college football without a special government program, booster money or exceptional institutional support. THE U was and is the only program which owed its success to the players -- not alumni, institution, conference, big money boosters, or some great coach. The thought that a bunch of black kids, with a handful of white kids, and just about any coach, could rise to the top on their own, without help of (nothing personal) people such as yourself, was and is anathema to the liberal mindset.

It was fear, not true racial fear, but fear of the lost of power that was the cell of hatred by the Miami administration, the left wing press and academic elite. Now the average fan, yeah, they did not like our black players dancing on their black players after beating the living crap out of them. Now hatred of THE U is institutionalized and almost universal.

Duke and Cutliffe the new enemy ! You're going to rue the day that you made a stink
about your loss. Wait until the new Canes coach rebuilds the dynasty. Duke will sink
in the swamp that they deserve.
One thing that really ****es me off is that the ACC immediately took Cutliffe's complaint
an acted on it. Poor, poor Duke. Well, wait until you come to Miami in 2016.

I always believed the hate for Miami was simply because we won too much. Nobody hated us when we won the MNC in 83. We were the underdog and people loved it. The traditional powers could tolerate a 1 year anomaly. The college football world would have gladly patted us on the head and watched us go back to irrelevance. But, what the college football world expected, didn't happen. Fast forward a few years and we aren't an anomaly. It looks like not only is UM apoarently here to stay, but we are ACTING like we're here to stay. I think that is what caused most of the hate. Sprinkle a little racism in there too.

If Iowa State suddenly became a power, and won for several years running, the hate would flow. Guaranteed.

Now hatred of THE U is institutionalized and almost universal.

This is another little thing that gets me in all kinds of conversations from work to the bar to something my wife said just the other day.

People who are not Canes fans refuse to believe that this hatred even *exists*. Any comment that references it or that mentions anti UM bias in any media, referee's calls, etc etc is met almost immediately with dismissal and a roll of the eyes.

Now, it's difficult for me to blame my wife, because she grew up in good ol fashioned midwestern B1G country, her father is a coach, her whole family played sports, and her whole life experience has been around officials who actually do a good job. She just can't conceive of any kind of agenda or fix or anything like that, so I let it slide...

But the rest of these jagwads are startin to **** me off again.

Advertisement
If that is grand larceny then Ohio stated loss should be labeled rape! ***** all these guys! They are scared- and should be

I always believed the hate for Miami was simply because we won too much. Nobody hated us when we won the MNC in 83. We were the underdog and people loved it. The traditional powers could tolerate a 1 year anomaly. The college football world would have gladly patted us on the head and watched us go back to irrelevance. But, what the college football world expected, didn't happen. Fast forward a few years and we aren't an anomaly. It looks like not only is UM apoarently here to stay, but we are ACTING like we're here to stay. I think that is what caused most of the hate. Sprinkle a little racism in there too.

If Iowa State suddenly became a power, and won for several years running, the hate would flow. Guaranteed.

I don't think so, man. Maybe Houston or Georgetown, but not Iowa State.

It's more than just the winning. It's how were winning... and not being "respectful" about it. Dominating, intimidating, embarrassing other teams and enjoying it. That plus all of the other 80s Miami stuff going on outside of Coral Gables that got all wrapped up with it.

Nah, I disagree. I think the media wouldn't react like that in your hypothetical. Look at some of the non-traditional programs that have risen to power in the last few years. ESPN talks them all up.

Nah, I disagree. I think the media wouldn't react like that in your hypothetical. Look at some of the non-traditional programs that have risen to power in the last few years. ESPN talks them all up.

Utah for example

Advertisement
[TWEET]661343461539491840[/TWEET]

Listen to this ****, lmao

Everyone says Miami fans can't let go of the past. Looks to me like nobody in the entire nation can forget us and what we can do. We are pushing Trump off the air time. He will have to come out with something about this game to get attention. Probably be for us -- needs to maintain the outsider thing and THE U is the ultimate outsider.

NO BUTCH - NO PEACE

I'm talking about winning on a Miami scale. Embarrass ND. Win MNCs. I'm pretty sure - maybe wrong - but teams like KState, Boise, Oregon really haven't won anything.

Utah for example
Utah, Memphis, Baylor, TCU, etc.

They also have slurped Oregon non-stop since their rise to relevance.

You got that right. We are one of a kind. Players are responsible for our success not the school. That is what they hate. OU was just as bad as us and the hated was nowhere near as bad. Look at Bama -- no hate.

Advertisement
I'm talking about winning on a Miami scale. Embarrass ND. Win MNCs. I'm pretty sure - maybe wrong - but teams like KState, Boise, Oregon really haven't won anything.
Fair enough. I still don't believe that the hate level would be anywhere close to where it is now, had we not been dancing after every touchdown, doing backflips, taking our helmets off, talking trash, etc. Perhaps if Iowa State started dominating and mixing in that stuff, it would be the same. I'll agree to disagree.

For you younger fans, this is how it used to be when Miami was running roughshod through college football and talking **** while doing it. I personally love all the hate, it takes me back to good old days.

Nobody's done what UM did... meteoric rise from nowhere to dominate. Utah, Oregon, KState, Boise have all won BCS games, but you're right... they're not destroying the Bama's, LSU's like we did to NU, OU, UT, ND etc.

Advertisement
Fair enough. I still don't believe that the hate level would be anywhere close to where it is now, had we not been dancing after every touchdown, doing backflips, taking our helmets off, talking trash, etc. Perhaps if Iowa State started dominating and mixing in that stuff, it would be the same. I'll agree to disagree.

I miss all that stuff. College football can be sooooo boring to watch when it's all business and no spice.

I miss all that stuff. College football can be sooooo boring to watch when it's all business and no spice.

We all do.

Advertisement
Back