Caziah Holmes

Advertisement
Advertisement
He lives in Cape Canaveral so his HS should be Cocoa Beach. He crosses Merritt Island to attend Cocoa. I attended Cocoa and then Cocoa Beach High school when it was built. Back in the day, nobody went to school outside of your geographic area. Merritt Island HS used to be a state power. We got Hurlie Brown, the Ham Brothers, Darryl Spencer, Joe Kohlbrand and Bubba McDowell all out of Merritt Island HS.

The Cocoa Beach coaches must be unhappy he spurned them but I checked their website and they are like the lowest category, playing tiny Christian schools. I guess he feels he'll get the best exposure at Cocoa. I guess he doesn't feel like Merritt Island is that good anymore. I guess the best talent is at Cocoa.

I think Shaq's dad might have said a couple of years ago he was originally from Cocoa.

When I was in HS the schools were still segregated. My last year of HS, Cocoa had it's first black player, a terrific soph LB named Charles Wilson. He later ended up at Penn State.

Advertisement
I love athletes! They are versatile enough to play offense or defense at a high level and are very valuable on special teams.

He lives in Cape Canaveral so his HS should be Cocoa Beach. He crosses Merritt Island to attend Cocoa. I attended Cocoa and then Cocoa Beach High school when it was built. Back in the day, nobody went to school outside of your geographic area. Merritt Island HS used to be a state power. We got Hurlie Brown, the Ham Brothers, Darryl Spencer, Joe Kohlbrand and Bubba McDowell all out of Merritt Island HS.

The Cocoa Beach coaches must be unhappy he spurned them but I checked their website and they are like the lowest category, playing tiny Christian schools. I guess he feels he'll get the best exposure at Cocoa. I guess he doesn't feel like Merritt Island is that good anymore. I guess the best talent is at Cocoa.

I think Shaq's dad might have said a couple of years ago he was originally from Cocoa.

When I was in HS the schools were still segregated. My last year of HS, Cocoa had it's first black player, a terrific soph LB named Charles Wilson. He later ended up at Penn State.

I just wanted to say that I personally love reading your stories of days gone by. Most of us here are far too young to have experienced some of the things you've shared through the years. It's one thing to read in a history book, but completely another to get a look through another's eyes who was there and went through it. Keep them coming!

As a resident of the 321 I love this post!

Advertisement
I just wanted to say that I personally love reading your stories of days gone by. Most of us here are far too young to have experienced some of the things you've shared through the years. It's one thing to read in a history book, but completely another to get a look through another's eyes who was there and went through it. Keep them coming!
One of the great stories of Brevard County football is that the first real national college superstar was a young man who came out of Cocoa High in the 1950's, Bob Anderson.

He was an All-American at Army when Army was good...those were the days when Army and Navy were legitimate national powers with the very best.

Anderson might have been the first Brevard kid, and perhaps the only Brevard kid, to ever make the College Football HOF.

When I get back to my computer I'll try to find an article on Bob Anderson. Although he didn't go to UM he was one of the best ever from the State of Florida.

Glad you appreciated my historical perspective. I love the history of sports in the state although I haven't lived in the state in about 45 years. I particularly love UM sports history although I never attended the U. My father did probably in the '40's but might have been even earlier. I think he wrote some football-related articles for the Hurricane.

I used to love the Friday night games with the 8:15 pm KO. Used to walk around and around on the ramps to get up to the upper deck.would always smell a lot of cigars. I loved it. Fall evening weather was always nice in South Florida. Pace of life was a bit slower, too.

In the early sixties, every Sunday night was the Luther Evans radio show. Luther was Herald beat writer for the Canes, Sonny Hirsch was his co-host. I'd call in when I was a teenager. I think it was WIOD, but hard to remember.

And to see the real Matador perform his magic on the field....it was something else for that era...

We have such a great tradition even if we didn't become a consistent national power until the '80's. Great songs, Yamma Yamma, Sebastian, BOH (better be nobody that doesn't recognize that abbreviation), Touchdown Tommy....

Caziah, come on down, we got a bright future and you'll love it!

I know Cape Canaveral very well...my father built some of the apartments there in the '60's. Caziah can put that area on the map...only claim to fame now is that surfer Kelly Slater I think his name is.

One of the great stories of Brevard County football is that the first real national college superstar was a young man who came out of Cocoa High in the 1950's, Bob Anderson.

He was an All-American at Army when Army was good...those were the days when Army and Navy were legitimate national powers with the very best.

Anderson might have been the first Brevard kid, and perhaps the only Brevard kid, to ever make the College Football HOF.

When I get back to my computer I'll try to find an article on Bob Anderson. Although he didn't go to UM he was one of the best ever from the State of Florida.

Glad you appreciated my historical perspective. I love the history of sports in the state although I haven't lived in the state in about 45 years. I particularly love UM sports history although I never attended the U. My father did probably in the '40's but might have been even earlier. I think he wrote some football-related articles for the Hurricane.

I used to love the Friday night games with the 8:15 pm KO. Used to walk around and around on the ramps to get up to the upper deck.would always smell a lot of cigars. I loved it. Fall evening weather was always nice in South Florida. Pace of life was a bit slower, too.

In the early sixties, every Sunday night was the Luther Evans radio show. Luther was Herald beat writer for the Canes, Sonny Hirsch was his co-host. I'd call in when I was a teenager. I think it was WIOD, but hard to remember.

And to see the real Matador perform his magic on the field....it was something else for that era...

We have such a great tradition even if we didn't become a consistent national power until the '80's. Great songs, Yamma Yamma, Sebastian, BOH (better be nobody that doesn't recognize that abbreviation), Touchdown Tommy....

Caziah, come on down, we got a bright future and you'll love it!

I know Cape Canaveral very well...my father built some of the apartments there in the '60's. Caziah can put that area on the map...only claim to fame now is that surfer Kelly Slater I think his name is.
You are a very talented story teller. Thank you. I too look forward to reading everything you post. Always with class, dignity and respect.... something I think we desperately need more of.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back