Cautiously optimistic!

fraggle

Senile Senior
I've been rather disappointed, especially when we started the year4-0 and had the 5th win in our grasp. More on that later. 2022 was much worse. after a 2-0 start we lost a winnable game to Texas A&M but what followed was one of the most embarrassing losses in Miami history, yes, the MTSU slaughter, yes slaughter where this FCS team dominated us in all aspects followed by a 45-24 loss to Duke and blowout losses to fsu and Pitt. 2023 was far better with the early wins BUT the way we lost to GT was a national embarrassment and we were the butt of many jokes. I think our psychologically our team was damaged by the GT loss, I know our opponents loved it. We were 2 and 4 after the GT loss but seriously were competitive in all but the NC St game. The loss to Rutgers with half our players not participating was meaningless. The Bowl season is a farce and has become like the NFL preseason. Having simply Williams or Kinchens would've made a difference.

My biggest disappoint though is TVD, so much talent but careless with the ball. His int's were the primary difference between success and failure and he was an abject failure in performance, leadership or acceptance of responsibility. Any player we've had took full responsibility when making so many bad throws yet I do not recall any apology or humble response for his failures.

How about coaching though. My questioning is why did they so limit Emory when they needed him the most? Why make him run such a predictable offense. Emory won the Clemson game and that experience should've opened the gates of the offense to him but the fsu game was to confined yet without the injury I think Emory would've found a way to score and I think the entire Hurricane nation KNEW what TVD would do, march us down for the victory, not his forte, his is Interceptions at the worse possible moment. Another disappointment is how our improved RB room was underutilized.

Last but not least is our squad. It seems we have a bunch of prima donnas that don't seem to meld into a cohesive unit. There were times I thought they were coming together as a team of Hurricanes who considered their teammates a most important factor. Sorry but it never seemed that winning was primo. Is it from using the portal with players who were not loyal to begin with? This is a new era with NIL money and me. me. me athletes that have talent minus heart.

Closing, I think Reuben Bain will rise up and be that leader we miss:

Advertisement
GIF by FirstAndMonday

I've been rather disappointed, especially when we started the year4-0 and had the 5th win in our grasp. More on that later. 2022 was much worse. after a 2-0 start we lost a winnable game to Texas A&M but what followed was one of the most embarrassing losses in Miami history, yes, the MTSU slaughter, yes slaughter where this FCS team dominated us in all aspects followed by a 45-24 loss to Duke and blowout losses to fsu and Pitt. 2023 was far better with the early wins BUT the way we lost to GT was a national embarrassment and we were the butt of many jokes. I think our psychologically our team was damaged by the GT loss, I know our opponents loved it. We were 2 and 4 after the GT loss but seriously were competitive in all but the NC St game. The loss to Rutgers with half our players not participating was meaningless. The Bowl season is a farce and has become like the NFL preseason. Having simply Williams or Kinchens would've made a difference.

My biggest disappoint though is TVD, so much talent but careless with the ball. His int's were the primary difference between success and failure and he was an abject failure in performance, leadership or acceptance of responsibility. Any player we've had took full responsibility when making so many bad throws yet I do not recall any apology or humble response for his failures.

How about coaching though. My questioning is why did they so limit Emory when they needed him the most? Why make him run such a predictable offense. Emory won the Clemson game and that experience should've opened the gates of the offense to him but the fsu game was to confined yet without the injury I think Emory would've found a way to score and I think the entire Hurricane nation KNEW what TVD would do, march us down for the victory, not his forte, his is Interceptions at the worse possible moment. Another disappointment is how our improved RB room was underutilized.

Last but not least is our squad. It seems we have a bunch of prima donnas that don't seem to meld into a cohesive unit. There were times I thought they were coming together as a team of Hurricanes who considered their teammates a most important factor. Sorry but it never seemed that winning was primo. Is it from using the portal with players who were not loyal to begin with? This is a new era with NIL money and me. me. me athletes that have talent minus heart.

He won the Clemson game BECAUSE we severely dialed back the offense. We kept him away from the high risk moments. To do what yall wanted opens him up to disaster.

This spring will be pivotal. And maybe the additions are football junkies and pick up nuances of the scheme that lead to more explosive plays. I think the biggest jump will be in defense with some continuity of scheme. Dawson is up in the air imo. But if offense can put some points i think defense will lead us this coming up year.

Advertisement
One reason to feel optimistic is that Miami has the trenches to line up and play against anyone.

Reason to feel pessimistic is that everything else is a bit of a question mark.

Not that it makes it better, but MTSU is not an FCS team. They are a G5 FBS level team.

You can't argue that the teams mental makeup isn't eons ahead of what we've seen the last decade. These kids don't quit. Even after the GT debacle this team still fought till the end every single game. Yes there are still some stupid mental mistakes (Jacolby George I'm looking at you.) but this mental fortitude mixed with increasing the talent year after year will result in more and more wins, regardless of coaching.

Advertisement
One reason to feel optimistic is that Miami has the trenches to line up and play against anyone.

Reason to feel pessimistic is that everything else is a bit of a question mark.
I'm more concerned these iguanas will stop sunbathing in my pool than I am about the direction of this program. If you genuinely feel our only positive is our interior I don't know what to say. Have a sunsoaked blessed miami day guys.

20240112_121825.jpg

They held Emory back for the reasons yall aren’t willing to come to terms with lol

Advertisement
I'm more concerned these iguanas will stop sunbathing in my pool than I am about the direction of this program. If you genuinely feel our only positive is our interior I don't know what to say. Have a sunsoaked blessed miami day guys.

View attachment 278251
been looking for that palm tree in the planter, super cool when they get larger. Pretty sure it is a Desert Yucca, they are expensive as far as trees go.

View attachment 278251
This **** kills me! It's real feel of 13 out here in CO currently. Will be hovering at or below zero until next Friday.

Advertisement
They held Emory back for the reasons yall aren’t willing to come to terms with lol
You're also forcing narrative with that. In your opinion, should they not have held back a true freshman straight out of high school in those moments. Especially considering you have a defense tailored to carry you through THOSE games. It's important to realize that the training wheels coming off is something that has to be earned. You don't just wake up on Saturday and call the same game for an 18 year old kid straight out of high school still trying to find his confidence and adjust to the speed of the game and defensive schematics that you would for a dude who's been at this level. Now if this continues to be the case once he's had time in the system etc yet he's still held back then you're one hundred percent correct. He's just not the kid you want back there. Myself I think k he'll be fine once he gets over the nerves and finds a rhythm. But for now with a kid who struggles with basic passes yeah ill keep the training wheels on.

This **** kills me! It's real feel of 13 out here in CO currently. Will be hovering at or below zero until next Friday.
I'll save a spot for you at sunset brother. Personally I love Colorado too. Had a place in Breckenridge for awhile that's peaceful as can be. Here we live in the spots we live to get away from all the chaos. It has a price tag tied to that peace though.

You're also forcing narrative with that. In your opinion, should they not have held back a true freshman straight out of high school in those moments. Especially considering you have a defense tailored to carry you through THOSE games. It's important to realize that the training wheels coming off is something that has to be earned. You don't just wake up on Saturday and call the same game for an 18 year old kid straight out of high school still trying to find his confidence and adjust to the speed of the game and defensive schematics that you would for a dude who's been at this level. Now if this continues to be the case once he's had time in the system etc yet he's still held back then you're one hundred percent correct. He's just not the kid you want back there. Myself I think k he'll be fine once he gets over the nerves and finds a rhythm. But for now with a kid who struggles with basic passes yeah ill keep the training wheels on.
Let’s see where it goes IF it goes. I don’t think I’m the one forcing a narrative just responding to one but hey whatever lol

Advertisement
Back