Cats out of the bag

Advertisement
It doesn’t make sense to redshirt RBs unless they are physically unable to play.

We redshirted Lamar and McGahee, but they ended up leaving as sophomores after one season as starters. I would’ve rather used them as freshmen.
Randy had Cooper, Mike James, Javarris James, Berry, and Lee Chambers in front of Miller. If anything, he should have redshirted Mike James. Don't get me started about 2010 when he had the same guys minus Javarris and added Storm Johnson and Eduardo Clements and didn't redshirt a single guy. If you roster has less than 5 rbs then you should not redshirt a single guy unless they are recovering from injury.

So, if he's not physically developed now AND he's coming off a serious shoulder injury, he's got to be a high RS candidate, right?

Can we make do this year with a RB rotation of Harris and Knighton and Burns?
No chance they redshirt him. It's hard enough keeping rbs for 4 years so why would you limit a talent like this to potentially 2 years if he redshirts?

Deion Sanders couldn’t tackle an empty garbage can to save his life. He would have driven me crazy if he played for one of my teams.

Deion is arguably the greatest DB to ever play the game, b/c you couldn’t throw on him and his ability to bait & switch along w taking anything back to the house is all I need. If he was a Cane, I’m going to assume your view of him would be quite different. Lol

No chance they redshirt him. It's hard enough keeping rbs for 4 years so why would you limit a talent like this to potentially 2 years if he redshirts?

I'm with the general sentiment in response to my post. But, shoulders are tricky. I'm not sure exactly what his issue was, but you always worry about re-injury and it becoming a nagging issue (think Dalvin). The lack of depth is concerning, but I'd hate to subject Chaney to risk of re-injury and having him miss time a second time as opposed to fully healing.

(I'm 6 months+ out following shoulder surgery and still have some limitations, so this hits close to home for me.)

Advertisement
I'm with the general sentiment in response to my post. But, shoulders are tricky. I'm not sure exactly what his issue was, but you always worry about re-injury and it becoming a nagging issue (think Dalvin). The lack of depth is concerning, but I'd hate to subject Chaney to risk of re-injury and having him miss time a second time as opposed to fully healing.

(I'm 6 months+ out following shoulder surgery and still have some limitations, so this hits close to home for me.)
I agree with the depth being an issue. Having 4 rbs on the roster is not good. I'd feel much better with 5. I'm sure he will be fine.

This seems to conflict with what Cribby is reporting. Does he lack toughness, or was he legit hurt at times in HS? Some really tough dudes can be a little fragile injury wise.

Bad luck and life turmoil affect this too.

You have to have an optimistic attitude dealing with what life throws at you.

Carrying around internal frustration has a weird way of manifesting itself as injuries on the field. It can easy to fall into a mental trap that cycles you through inexplicable injuries, especially when you work your *** off to be physically ready.

This is interesting. Any reason why JJ had to accept Schnelly's staff? Was that a condition of his hire?

Schnellenberger left VERY late in the off-season, he was supposed to take a job with a USFL franchise, which fell through. Because of that debacle, he didn't take any coaches with him.

On the Miami side, you have an entire coaching staff (minus the head coach) who just won a national championship, and you're handing the keys of the Ferrari to a coach who just won 7 games at Oklahoma State. The thinking was "if we just keep all these great coaches and players, JJ can't possibly fvck it up".

And it really wasn't JJ's fault. Several coaches (particularly Olivadotti) thought that there should have been an internal promotion and that everyone would move up a spot in the pecking order. Didn't happen.

1983 Staff

Howard Schnellenberger Head Coach 5th Kentucky (1957)
Gary Stevens Offensive Coordinator/Wide receivers 4th John Carroll (1965)
Tom Olivadotti Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers 4th Upsala (19##)
Hubbard Alexander Tight ends 5th Tennessee State (1962)
Joe Brodsky Running backs 6th Florida (1956)
Harold Allen Defensive Line 19th Miami (1953)
Chris Vagotis Offensive Line 4th Alabama (19##)
Marc Trestman Quarterbacks 1st Minnesota (1979)
Bill Trout Defensive Ends 8th Miami (19##)
Mike Archer Defensive Backs 4th Miami (1976)

1984 Staff

JJ - Head Coach
Gary Stevens - OC (stayed on, 1 of 3 Schnellenberger coaches to survive to JJ Y2)
Bill Trout - DC (Olivadotti left, Trout got promoted, Trout was let go after the late-season defensive collapses)
Hub Alexander - promoted to WR Coach (stayed on, 1 of 3 Schnellenberger coaches to survive to JJ Y2, and Soldinger was hired to coach TEs)
Joe Brodsky - RB Coach (stayed on, 1 of 3 Schnellenberger coaches to survive to JJ Y2)
Marc Trestman stayed on, left after the season
Mike Archer bolted immediately, went to LSU
Harold Allen retired, was replaced by Butch (Allen is in the UM Sports Hall of Fame, he coached Ted Hendricks among others)
Chris Vagotis was a big Schnellenberger guy, played at Alabama, not sure exactly when he left (he just died in a car crash last year), I think he stayed and then was replaced by Tony Wise/Art Kehoe
Mike Knoll was hired to take on LB coaching duties after Olivadotti left
Not sure who coached DBs this year

If I was betting money, I'd say that Olivadotti and Vagotis would have gone with Schnellenberger, and then maybe Trestman and Archer. Trestman would have been in line for a promotion, and Archer took a lateral job with LSU (though he eventually got the HC job at LSU).

1985 Staff

Jimmy Johnson Head coach 2nd Arkansas (1965)
Gary Stevens Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks 6th John Carroll (1965)
Paul Jette Defensive Coordinator/defensive backs 1st Texas (1977)
Hubbard Alexander Wide receivers 7th Tennessee State (1962)
Joe Brodsky Running backs 8th Florida (1956)
Butch Davis Defensive line 2nd Arkansas (1973)
Art Kehoe Assistant offensive line 1st Miami (1982)
Don Soldinger Tight ends 2nd Memphis (1967)
Tony Wise Offensive line 1st Ithaca (1972)
Mike Knoll Linebackers 2nd Missouri Western State (1975)

Last edited:
That LSU game was a mauling. Place was a zoo pregame, empty at half. I did not know that backstory, thanks for that tid bit. Very cool.

I was arrested at that game, spent the night in a Baton Rouge jail.

Massive downpour during that game, the field was flooding and they had to move the tiger.

Advertisement
I was young but if i remember correctly some of those guys had gained clout down here off of Shula's pedigree...

Schnellenberger worked for the Dolphins, but I don't think it was the majority of the guys. Vagotis probably did too, he followed Schnells around, and worked for him at FAU.

Olivadotti went to the Dolphins later. In fact, he was the DC when JJ took over for the Dolphins, and JJ actually retained him (later fired him).

Schnellenberger worked for the Dolphins, but I don't think it was the majority of the guys. Vagotis probably did too, he followed Schnells around, and worked for him at FAU.

Olivadotti went to the Dolphins later. In fact, he was the DC when JJ took over for the Dolphins, and JJ actually retained him (later fired him).
Thanks. I was under the impression that Olvidotti worked under Shula...

Thanks. I was under the impression that Olvidotti worked under Shula...

He did, but after he left UM.

Schnellenberger worked for Shula from 1970-72 (after the Perfect Season, he was hired as the Head Coach of the Baltimore Colts) and again in 1975-78, right before he took the job with UM.

Olivadotti worked for Shula from 1987 until JJ was hired as HC of the Dolphins.

Historical footnote - the Washington DC franchise for the USFL was going to relocate to Miami, but a certain USFL owner pushed to move the season from the spring to the fall. The prospective Miami ownership pulled out of the deal, knowing they couldn't compete with the Dolphins, and the franchise went to Orlando. I think we all know who that USFL owner was.

He did, but after he left UM.

Schnellenberger worked for Shula from 1970-72 (after the Perfect Season, he was hired as the Head Coach of the Baltimore Colts) and again in 1975-78, right before he took the job with UM.

Olivadotti worked for Shula from 1987 until JJ was hired as HC of the Dolphins.

Historical footnote - the Washington DC franchise for the USFL was going to relocate to Miami, but a certain USFL owner pushed to move the season from the spring to the fall. The prospective Miami ownership pulled out of the deal, knowing they couldn't compete with the Dolphins, and the franchise went to Orlando. I think we all know who that USFL owner was.

Be careful , you’re inching towards political talk sir lol

Advertisement
Be careful , you’re inching towards political talk sir lol

Nah, I just think it's funny. ESPN has a whole documentary where they try to present him with the $3 check at the end, and yet I'm being political?

I'm just pointing out how UM's history was impacted by that "stable genius" decision. Nothing to do with politics.

All joking aside, you have a good eye, though...

At the end of everything, I can't be that mad. JJ came in and did great things. Even Drunky Erickson won 2 crystal balls.

Would have still enjoyed beating Ped State in 86 and Notre Dame in 88 so that we could have won 4 straight championships in my first 4 years at UM...

I was arrested at that game, spent the night in a Baton Rouge jail.

Massive downpour during that game, the field was flooding and they had to move the tiger.
Solid memory for you! ESPN game, poured. Miami stole the tools from the shed and then kicked the dog as they left. I long for those days.

Advertisement
Back