Casey Thompson

Advertisement
I'll never understand transferring to your hated rival. I don't care if my dad or mom played there. Pick somewhere else, buster *** neegas.

Advertisement
I understand that but having a coaching staff mess up your redshirt by having you kneel down a couple times isn’t much different. Casey Thompson has played a lot of football. Enough he shouldn’t get a seventh year.

Completely different. NCAA already changed RS rule to allow 4-games instead of one already. Also, allows participation in bowl games for 5th game and not burning RS.

Injuries are not controllable.

Advertisement
I understand that but having a coaching staff mess up your redshirt by having you kneel down a couple times isn’t much different. Casey Thompson has played a lot of football. Enough he shouldn’t get a seventh year.

You seem pretty passionate about Casey Thompson…

Except...that's not what happened.

He ended Games 1 and 4 with no stats ("handoff" in Game 1, "take a knee" in Game 4).

HE THEN PLAYED IN A FIFTH GAME. This wasn't a "mistake" or a coaching staff "messing up".

Nobody even raised this issue until a couple of months ago.

He ended Games 1 and 4 with no stats ("handoff" in Game 1, "take a knee" in Game 4).

HE THEN PLAYED IN A FIFTH GAME. This wasn't a "mistake" or a coaching staff "messing up".

I want a QB1, but this would be a circus

Advertisement

I really believe that Saban didn't take Taulia's "career" seriously. He was Tua's little brother and got a scholarship to Bama as part of the overall "deal" (relocate the family, house, job for dad, etc). Finally the kid realized he had no shot at Bama, moved on, and had a career. Will be interesting to see what they decide.

He has a couple avenues for a waiver - the fact that he played in 5 games at Bama and 2 of them were totally irrelevant for him to even appear in and then his actual RS year was the blanket waiver in 2020 so he didn't actually get any benefit from it

Most guys in his situation from that 2019 class got to benefit from 2020 because their RS season came before or after the blanket waiver and his didn't.

I think the path of using 2019 as his reasoning has more pull because they knew they could get Saban in their corner to sign off on it.

Advertisement
Truth.

Taulia's fact pattern is VERY different from the fact patterns of all the guys who are successful in getting medical waivers.

If it was any other school and any other coach than Bama and Saban he’d have no shot

NCAA is a legalized mob. Saban was part of the mob

I really believe that Saban didn't take Taulia's "career" seriously. He was Tua's little brother and got a scholarship to Bama as part of the overall "deal" (relocate the family, house, job for dad, etc). Finally the kid realized he had no shot at Bama, moved on, and had a career. Will be interesting to see what they decide.

So here's the thing. When Tua was HEALTHY in 2019, Mac Jones was the second-stringer and Taulia was the true-freshman third-stringer. Taulia played in a few games (his second and third, plus one handoff in his first game) only AFTER Mac had played.

I think Alabama/Saban legitimately believed that Mac and Taulia would fight it out for the starting role once Tua left.

But once Tua got hurt and Mac started in 4 games (winning 3 and only losing to Auburn by 3 points), I think it was pretty obvious that Mac would be the incumbent and that Taulia would have to wait.

He has a couple avenues for a waiver - the fact that he played in 5 games at Bama and 2 of them were totally irrelevant for him to even appear in and then his actual RS year was the blanket waiver in 2020 so he didn't actually get any benefit from it

Most guys in his situation from that 2019 class got to benefit from 2020 because their RS season came before or after the blanket waiver and his didn't.

I think the path of using 2019 as his reasoning has more pull because they knew they could get Saban in their corner to sign off on it.

The reason why I feel that 2020 is the stronger argument is straightforward, but difficult to articulate in as "sympathetic" a fashion as the "5-game redshirt in 2019" storyline.

Heading into the 2020 season, conferences were all over the place. As we know, the ACC/SEC schools were going to play 10-11 games, while the Big 10 was going to cancel the season. With peer pressure, the Big 10 belatedly came up with a delayed 8-game schedule. HOWEVER, with Covid cancellations, Maryland only played a 5-game season in 2020.

The initial intent of making the "Covid free redshirt year" applicable to everyone in 2020 was to dissuade players from taking a redshirt FOR COVID-FEAR PURPOSES. But as we all know, there are a lot of LEGITIMATE reasons to redshirt, including milder injuries that do not qualify for a medical redshirt, and for younger players to take a year off to get bigger/stronger.

But when you flip what "shoulda/woulda/coulda" been an 11-game season into a 5-game season, it becomes rational to argue that the "gift" of a "free Covid redshirt year" really wasn't much of a gift at all to kids at schools that only played 4 or 5 games. In fact, it "steals" a legitimate redshirt year from those kids who WOULD HAVE been able to redshirt in 2020, and gives a "free year" to ONLY those players who otherwise WOULD NOT have redshirted in 2020.

So everyone gets a super-senior year...EXCEPT FOR kids who would have redshirted in 2020. THOSE kids are told "tough, we gave you a free year, don't get mad at us because you were going to redshirt anyhow".

It's yet another area where the NCAA did not actually think ahead and act in a logically-consistent manner...

The NCAA is ******' Judge Smails...

1705071200444.png

The reason why I feel that 2020 is the stronger argument is straightforward, but difficult to articulate in as "sympathetic" a fashion as the "5-game redshirt in 2019" storyline.

Heading into the 2020 season, conferences were all over the place. As we know, the ACC/SEC schools were going to play 10-11 games, while the Big 10 was going to cancel the season. With peer pressure, the Big 10 belatedly came up with a delayed 8-game schedule. HOWEVER, with Covid cancellations, Maryland only played a 5-game season in 2020.

The initial intent of making the "Covid free redshirt year" applicable to everyone in 2020 was to dissuade players from taking a redshirt FOR COVID-FEAR PURPOSES. But as we all know, there are a lot of LEGITIMATE reasons to redshirt, including milder injuries that do not qualify for a medical redshirt, and for younger players to take a year off to get bigger/stronger.

But when you flip what "shoulda/woulda/coulda" been an 11-game season into a 5-game season, it becomes rational to argue that the "gift" of a "free Covid redshirt year" really wasn't much of a gift at all to kids at schools that only played 4 or 5 games. In fact, it "steals" a legitimate redshirt year from those kids who WOULD HAVE been able to redshirt in 2020, and gives a "free year" to ONLY those players who otherwise WOULD NOT have redshirted in 2020.

So everyone gets a super-senior year...EXCEPT FOR kids who would have redshirted in 2020. THOSE kids are told "tough, we gave you a free year, don't get mad at us because you were going to redshirt anyhow".

It's yet another area where the NCAA did not actually think ahead and act in a logically-consistent manner...

The NCAA is ******' Judge Smails...

View attachment 278204
Maybe both avenues play into the decision instead of considering only 1 of them. I know they referenced both in their submission to the NCAA but publicly they've focused on the 2019 season.

I'm not a huge fan of Taulia.. he's solid.. but I still really want this to happen. I think it would be an awesome storyline to have a Tagovailoa playing in Hard Rock on Saturday and another one on Sunday. You'd probably have Tua, Tyreek, Waddle, and Berrios on Greentree all summer working with him, George, and Restrepo. The Dolphins would be more involved creating storylines and media exposure for the Canes.

Advertisement
Back