2025 Carter Smith QB from Ft. Myers

Advertisement

Fort Myers (Fla.) Bishop Verot quarterback Carter Smith lives less than three hours away from the University of Miami’s campus, but had never actually stepped foot in Coral Gables before Thursday.

The 6-foot-4, 180-pounder has picked up offers from Florida State, Miami, Florida, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, UCF, and Boston College since his sophomore season wrapped up. He threw for over 3000 yards with 29 touchdowns to six interceptions while completing 62.5 percent of his passes. He also added 692 yards and 19 more scores on the ground.

“It was a shocker. I wasn’t expecting it to be nice like this. It opened up my eyes and it opened up my recruitment a little bit more to expand out and venture off and come to an amazing place like this,” Smith told InsideTheU.

“The facilities and the campus,” Smith said on what surprised him. “I didn’t expect it all to be this nice. This is really impressive.”

Shannon Dawson is somebody that Smith spent a lot of time around on Thursday.

“He’s awesome. It’s exciting as a quarterback to be able to look at the school you’re looking at and know they’re going to throw the ball a lot. As a person, he’s awesome. He’s very laid back, but not in a bad way. That sits well with me,” Smith said.

As a youngster who has spent a lot of time playing baseball, Smith respects the grind out on Greentree.

“They get their stuff done. They’re out there, they’re working hard. It’s hot and they were pushing it. That sat with me well too,” Smith said.

It’s very early in Smith’s process and the signal-caller is taking it slow.

“I’m trying to be patient with everything and see what fits me best and try to get that feel for what’s right for me and my family,” Smith said.

Some of the things the rising junior is looking for include the campus and quality of people and life at the university.

Keep an eye on this one. Great kid and family, dad is a buddy of mine. Carter is raised in a house full of Cane fans. Miami has turned up the heat lately after little contact since Mario arrived (Ponce offered but was towards the end of his time at Miami).

LSU, FSU, UF on him hard, especially LSU. Kid is the goods, former teammates with Curtis, Graves. Met with Mario yesterday and it was made clear Miami wants him

Last edited:
Keep an eye on this one. Great kid and family, dad is a buddy of mine. Carter is raised in a house full of Cane fans. Miami has turned up the heat lately after little contact since Mario arrived (Ponce offered but was towards the end of his time at Miami).

LSU, FSU, UF on him hard, especially LSU. Kid us the goods, former teammates with Curtis, Graves. Met with Mario yesterday and it was made clear Miami wants him
So he has both parents, that’s a bummer. Dion will move heaven and earth to get a QB with a good family lol

Advertisement
Based on the apparel, he must have an older cousin who played baseball here ca 2011.
Pretty sure his dad played in the minors. Might have gotten a little time in the big leagues.

I guess Carter decided to not play baseball this season and will be focusing on only football moving forward. Pretty big decision as he was ranked in the top 10 in the country coming into HS (take those rankings for what they are worth).

Pretty sure his dad played in the minors. Might have gotten a little time in the big leagues.

I guess Carter decided to not play baseball this season and will be focusing on only football moving forward. Pretty big decision as he was ranked in the top 10 in the country coming into HS (take those rankings for what they are worth).
That is correct, dad had a cup of tea in the bigs. Carter is running track this spring instead of baseball. Chose to focus on football which was a big decision

That is correct, dad had a cup of tea in the bigs. Carter is running track this spring instead of baseball. Chose to focus on football which was a big decision

Just don't need Vogelbach in his ear about the gators ;). And for those wondering, Carter's OC in HS is the older brother of Dan Vogelbach (Chris Farley doppleganger) on the mets

Advertisement

Following his first visit to the University of Miami this spring, Fort Myers (Fla.) Bishop Verot 2025 quarterback Carter Smith believes the Miami Hurricanes have solidified themselves as one of his top programs early on.

The No. 14 overall prospect in the 2025 cycle according to the On3 Rankings took the two-hour trip from Fort Myers to Coral Gables, where he had the opportunity to take in a spring practice and much more.

“I honestly didn’t expect anything of that sort, but being able to walk through and look at everything was awesome,” Smith told CaneSport. “It definitely opened up my eyes a little bit and definitely pushed them up on my school list. This visit completely changed my view of Miami. They’re one of the top programs in the country, and I can definitely see myself going there.”

One of the major things that struck the 6-foot-3, 170-pound signal-caller was how warmly the Miami staff greeted him from the moment he set foot on campus.

“Just everyone being so welcoming,” Smith said. “Everyone I talked to and everyone I was around, from coaches to the head coach to player personnel, they were all so welcoming, and it honestly made me feel like I was at home. For it being my first time there, that was pretty special.”

During his time on campus, the No. 2 quarterback in the 2025 class according to On3, had the chance to watch and break down new Miami offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson’s offense and was impressed with what he saw.

“He’s awesome, and he’s got his stuff together, which is really good to see,” Smith said of Dawson. “It was a good experience seeing how they operate, what they do with their reads and the plays that they run. He’s definitely someone that I would like to play for and be able to work with because of his demeanor.”

Smith says that Ole Miss, LSU, and Miami are the three programs that currently have his interest the most, but other programs like Florida and Florida State are also very much in the mix.

As far as the Hurricanes, Smith is extremely excited to see what Miami can do in the coming years and believes head coach Mario Cristobal and his staff have what it takes to turn the program around.

“It’s special, and it’s going to be special,” Smith added. “I’m excited to watch what they do these next two to three years until I possibly get there. They’re going to build this program back up again, so it’s going to be exciting to watch.”

CaneSport’s take
Since the beginning of the year, Smith’s recruitment has exploded, going from being a relatively unknown name at the start of his sophomore season to a blue-chip talent. Miami is early in the race for Smith and has already made an enormous impression. Although the rising sophomore has a while to go before his signing day, Carter Smith is a name to know in the 2025 class.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back