Carlos Huerta... "Is still alive"

Advertisement
RIP?

Nevermind. He’s still … kickin

@WaterburyCane
Danger Dancing GIF by Bens Watch Club

Carlos Huerta’s sister was my 3rd grade teacher back in 91’. My room was full of Cane posters and the university of miami had an event (band, cheerleaders, Sebastian, etc) the week of FSU game at my school, Gilbert L Porter. Loved it as a kid.

Advertisement
Huerta was awesome in college. My favorite Hurricane Kicker…and we’ve had many good ones. Had ice in his veins. Rarely missed a money kick. Huge part of one of the greatest comebacks of all time (down double digits against Michigan in their house with only a few minutes left). Made a great onside kick which we recovered. Michigan fans were stunned. You could hear a pin drop in that massive stadium. Loved it.

Things were so different in those days. He almost quit because they used to use the Kicker as a “punching bag” in practiSe in those days. Can you imagine all those Hurricane greats cleaning his clock routinely in practice? I’m sure it was good times for Carlos. LOL. But hey, it made him tough as nails…and he will be remembered forever as a Hurricane legend.

I remember Huerta making 157 PATs in a row over his first three seasons and a few games. The Canes were reviewing film from a 40-3 home win over Oklahoma State in 1991, and Huerta‘s PAT streak ended. Miss. The article I read said the special teams meeting room went dead silent watching him miss. It was such a shock. He ended up missing two more.

1988: 44-44
1989: 47-47
1990: 50-50
1991: 37-40

Last edited:
Advertisement
Was watching some of the 1988 LSU blowout and it was mentioned that Carlos was cut from the 1987 team as a walk-on. Never heard that before.

Define "cut" from the team.

Carlos' uncle was my Physics professor at UM. Carlos was on tuition remission, so he had a free ride, and he went out for the football team as a "walk-on". Other UM students went out for the team too, not sure they were ever "cut", though they probably did not make the travel roster. I just don't seem to recall there being a numerical limit on how many we could dress for home games (Nebraska routinely dressed more than 100 in those days).

Another "walk-on" from that timeframe was Matt Karlaftis. Suffered a serious head injury in his first practice.

Let's not forget, we had Greg Cox as our starting kicker at the time, he was a senior in 1987 and hit 43 of 44 extra points that year. 4-year starter, plus we had Edgar Benes who handled a lot of the kickoffs.

Carlos' uncle was my Physics professor at UM. Carlos was on tuition remission, so he had a free ride, and he went out for the football team as a "walk-on". Other UM students went out for the team too, not sure they were ever "cut", though they probably did not make the travel roster. I just don't seem to recall there being a numerical limit on how many we could dress for home games (Nebraska routinely dressed more than 100 in those days).

Another "walk-on" from that timeframe was Matt Karlaftis. Suffered a serious head injury in his first practice.

Let's not forget, we had Greg Cox as our starting kicker at the time, he was a senior in 1987 and hit 43 of 44 extra points that year. 4-year starter, plus we had Edgar Benes who handled a lot of the kickoffs.
Ha I had his uncle for Physics my freshman year as well in 2001. He had a 6’4” tranny who looked like Mrs. Doubtfire teaching his labs, and Dr. Huerta was not down with the pronouns: “You can give HIM your homework….Please ask HIM if you have any questions.”

Dr. Huerta was great haha.

Advertisement

Cox nailed a 55+ yarder in the 1987 Orange Bowl 20-14 win over Oklahoma, IIRC.

I know he was a walk on. The broadcasters stated the cut comment.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back