Caputo Gone

Point being, he's going elsewhere to cut his teeth and prove what kind of head coach he can be.

Cristobal was a failed FIU head coach when he wound up at Miami on Golden's staff for five minutes, before Alabama poached him and after four years in Tuscaloosa, he got his shot at Oregon—all of which paved the way for him to return to Miami ready for prime time

If Caputo did, or didn't wind up at Miami—at least he's going elsewhere to learn how to be a head coach and wouldn't learn on the job here.
Very different circumstances. You have to be able to full embrace and understand what Miami football is to be successful. Mario is the best combination of localized perspective and having won at a national level and being able to bring those best practices to the job.

Miami basketball is far different from a DNA standpoint and you don't necessarily need to have that same perspective to be successful here.

Advertisement
Caputo is very close with all the big boys who matter in the UM athletics universe. He is an extremely smart guy (and good guy) who I believe we would be lucky to have as head coach after L. And if he succeeds at GW as I expect him to, I think that will likely and hopefully be the case.
Agree on what kind of coach/man Caputo appears to be. And, I wish him the best at GW.

GW is right in the middle of the DMV recruiting hotbed but this century, that has made little to no difference. I don't think GW wins any local recruiting battles right now. That will be job #1 for him.

Karl Hobbs, their last decent coach (with strong Jim Calhoun ties), left over a decade ago.

didn't Rad not give a flying **** about basketball at Clemson? could be wrong. either way, L is safe obviously for a few years till he likely retires.
He didn't, he didn't at Georgia Tech either. Luckily, Miami has two good coaches in L and Meier so he doesn't have to do too much. When L retires, don't be shocked if Miami basketball takes a step back, unless a booster steps up and demands a high end hire.

Advertisement
Back