Caputo could be leaving?

Advertisement
I guess either he couldnt wait another 3 years for Larranaga to hang it up or someone told him he wouldn’t be next in line at Miami if/when Larranaga leaves. Bye!!! 😊

Last edited:
Advertisement
Or show out at the Mid-major level first and then come back and take over once Coach L hangs’em up
Wish him all the best. If he proves his worth as a HC, who knows about him coming back. Just don’t want to see a rookie or unproven HC at the helm. Crazy to even think Miami would consider giving him the HCing job with zero experience

Last edited:
You guys have no idea how instrumental Caputo has been to the success we’ve had.

That said, I trust L will have the resources to find the right replacement if this happens.

And I hope Caputo kills it at GW for a few years before coming back here when L is ready to hang it up.
Caputo has been pretty much running the day-to-day operations since moving up to Associate HC. That’s probably why there’s a slim chance that Larranaga knew nothing about the Adidas payouts. I wish Caputo all the best. Happy to see him get the opportunity to be a HC. Glad he gets to learn the ropes as HC somewhere else though. Would’ve absolutely hated to see him be a rookie HC at Miami.

Wish him all the best. If he proves his worth as a HC, who knows about him coming back. Just don’t want to see a rookie or unproven HC at the helm. Crazy to even think Miami ups think about giving him the HCing job with zero experience
UNC, Zona, Duke all did it. I'm sure we will see a lot of it now. Rather have a proven guy too, or at least an assistant with tons of experience like Lloyd at Zona.

Advertisement
UNC, Zona, Duke all did it. I'm sure we will see a lot of it now. Rather have a proven guy too, or at least an assistant with tons of experience like Lloyd at Zona.
I get your drift but don’t think it sustains. UNC and Duke tend to hire from ppl with direct ties to their programs. Don’t know if Roy or K wanted to go outside their staffs to find replacements.

For years, Tommy Lloyd had been one of the hotter names in college basketball coaching circles, particularly out west. Great recruiter at Gonzaga. Probably the best at the international level. If I’m not mistaken he was even contractually next in line to become HC if Few were to leave Gonzaga. Had opportunities to go elsewhere in the past too. Not like this is his first HCing job offer.

Caputo has been pretty much running the day-to-day operations since moving up to Associate HC. That’s probably why there’s a slim chance that Larranaga knew nothing about the Adidas payouts. I wish Caputo all the best. Happy to see him get the opportunity to be a HC. Glad he gets to learn the ropes as HC somewhere else though. Would’ve absolutely hated to see him be a rookie HC at Miami.
100% this. Don't think Rad would have elevated him anyways (Blake definitely would have) but he needs to go cut his teeth as a HC much like Huger and Konkol are now.

Courtney is a journeyman (albeit could be in line for a promotion to Associate HC) and Irving is green so this is going to be a strong opening and I'd imagine Larranaga will be targeting lead assistants (maybe Jamal Brunt comes back from VCU?) or even recently fired mid-major HC's who'd be interested in coaching in the ACC. There are quite a few available that may not get HC jobs.

I get your drift but don’t think it sustains. UNC and Duke tend to hire from ppl with direct ties to their programs. Don’t know if Roy or K wanted to go outside their staffs to find replacements.

Tommy Lloyd had been one of the hotter names in college basketball coaching circles, particularly out west. Great recruiter at Gonzaga. Probably the best at the international level. If I’m not mistaken he was even contractually next in line to become HC if Few were to leave Gonzaga. Had opportunities to go elsewhere in the past too. Not like this is his first HCing job offer.
No argument here. I can't believe Duke did that, UNC didn't surprise me as I already knew who they were hiring. Duke surprised me. Amaker, Dawkins, Hurley, Wojo, thought for sure would be one of those guys.

Advertisement
Hiring an assistant to HC an ACC basketball program is risky as can be....not many work out well. This is a league for coaching equivalent of PHDs, not AA grads...

Or show out at the Mid-major level first and then come back and take over once Coach L hangs’em up
Yes. This should be viewed as a positive. Better to know what you’re getting with him before offering him the job. If he does well, he’ll end up back here and if he doesn’t, it saves Miami time and money.

Hiring an assistant to HC an ACC basketball program is risky as can be....not many work out well. This is a league for coaching equivalent of PHDs, not AA grads...
Exactly. Hubert Davis looked bad up until a month ago.

Advertisement
I guess either he couldnt wait another 3 years for Larranaga to hang it up or someone told him he wouldn’t be next in line at Miami if/when Larranaga leaves. Bye!!! 😊

Or maybe he goes and cuts his teeth there as a head coach for a few years and returns when Larranaga steps down.

Dude wants to be a head coach. Great time to go get that experience. Makes him more attractive as a Canes' hire three years form now a a head coach elsewhere, than an assistant promoted from within.

Key word is “Could”be, he hasn’t even interviewed yet. But, either way great hire for GW. Love Caputo and his contribution to the Canes. Best of luck.

Advertisement
Back