Caputo at GW

casualcane

Senior
Premium
Another loss last night (by 20+ to a terrible Rhode Island team) makes 3-6 in conference play (after an 11-2 start).

Yes, it’s his first year as HC. He’s also incredibly connected. Yes, he might improve next year. He also looked completely lost when he filled in for L (iirc it was vs BC).

This would be the exact kind of lazy hire Rad would make when L retires. I say we can do much better.

Advertisement
Another loss last night (by 20+ to a terrible Rhode Island team) makes 3-6 in conference play (after an 11-2 start).

Yes, it’s his first year as HC. He’s also incredibly connected. Yes, he might improve next year. He also looked completely lost when he filled in for L (iirc it was vs BC).

This would be the exact kind of lazy hire Rad would make when L retires. I say we can do much better.
You are right we have to do much better than a Caputo level coach when L retires. Can't believe the man is 70+

But first we have to make sure Manny isn't interested..

Advertisement

I think the baseball hire went far beyond Rad and the AD given the DiMare's stature at the university. I don't believe Coach L would make similar demands as far as a successor goes.

That said, if we wanted to hire someone with connections to Coach L (not saying we should), the guy I'd target over anyone else would be Tony Skinn.

Advertisement
A high-major coach isn't coming to Miami. It'll be someone from lower tier conference. I still think Anthony Grant makes a ton of sense.
I disagree. I think if the money is right, Miami could attract a P5 coach after L retires. Of course, everything will be dependent on where the program is at that point. Miami has resources and although it may not be the hotbed like other top areas of the country, the state has proven to provide high major talent over the last 15 years or so. There's a reason Pitino has always had an interest in coming down here. Do agree with you on Grant. His name will come up on most lists of top candidates once the job opens up.

This post is way too early. Caputo has done a great job revitalizing the GW program and put together a great class of recruits and transfers. They’ve had a tough stretch the last few weeks but there’s still time for the season to be successful. GW was in a big hole when Caputo got there and they have made a lot of progress (even despite the rough stretch).

IF Caputo wins more games, he will very likely be at or near the top of the list. His work building the program here (supporting L) is well known to those who matter, and he is highly regarded by those who actually fund the program. Of course, he won’t get the job if he doesn’t win so there’s nothing to worry about… but the above post is writing him off way prematurely.

This post is way too early. Caputo has done a great job revitalizing the GW program and put together a great class of recruits and transfers. They’ve had a tough stretch the last few weeks but there’s still time for the season to be successful. GW was in a big hole when Caputo got there and they have made a lot of progress (even despite the rough stretch).

IF Caputo wins more games, he will very likely be at or near the top of the list. His work building the program here (supporting L) is well known to those who matter, and he is highly regarded by those who actually fund the program. Of course, he won’t get the job if he doesn’t win so there’s nothing to worry about… but the above post is writing him off way prematurely.
Very difficult to recruit to GW. Maryland is the #1 program in the DC area and Georgetown, though horrible now, is in the vaunted Big East and has a name coach in Cooley and a NC. George Mason now that they are in the A10 might be the better job these days.

The Smith Center is old and showing its age. Urban campus that's nothing to look at. As I said, hard place to recruit.

Advertisement
Konkol at Tulsa would be more qualified than Caputo if were talking old L assitants.

Neither Konkol nor Caputo is currently qualified. Konkol had a good run in his first job but has to prove it at Tulsa. Caputo has to prove it at GW in a competitive A10.

Caputo has a major advantage because he built strong relationships with the people who matter here and he is very highly regarded… but he has to show that he can do it on his own by winning at GW.

Advertisement
Too early to panic but I’m predicting a lazy hire when the time comes. Hopefully, I’ll be wrong
Would love to hear your logic here. Are you just basing this off what happened with baseball?

Also, the 'hope i'm wrong' people need to launched into the sun.

Advertisement
Back