Caneville Clowns

As long as I live I'll never forget the game winning drive vs FSU in 2000, and was blessed to watch it from behind the sidelines. Right before KD hit Shockey, I was actually on the sideline. Talk about a work of art that drive was...against a **** good team & secondary. For such a so-called weak arm...KD threw some bullets.

And my 'as long as I live I'll never forget' was at PSU in 2001, opening night at Beaver. My roommate was a rb on our state championship HS team with Matt Senneca who was another stud qb/safety in the area up here. Matt was the starting QB, and his first start for them and we got top notch seats there. Razzed him all week of how we were going to crush him and them.

It was also the game where Adam Talifero was honored pre game after his terrible injury the season before. Actually that was pretty cool to see that place erupt for him. Place was shaking it was so loud.

Back to the game, Matt didn't last more than a series, and actually never played qb again after that game. We actually destroyed him, and I mean destroyed him, and them in that game. I was a happy camper that night.

Advertisement
Also, had family friends whose son went there in I think 96, Danny Kendra, and was all set to take over as there qb in '98 until a devastating knee injury. In high school he was the Parade All-American (1995 National Offensive Player of the Year). A Stud. Hid dad, Danny Sr., was a qb at West Virginia when Bowden was there, obviously opening the door for him to go to FSU.

I used to tell them both at family get togethers, etc that he should be a Cane. Big solid kid like his dad. And he could do it all as you can see from the national awards. After the knee injury they tried to turn him into a fb, with not much success. Only time I ever felt bad for a player on the enemy side.

Up here in Pa the story was that he was picking between FSU and PSU. There was zero chance he was going to PSU and I can not repeat on here what the dad actually said if he signed with Ped St. Great family even though I hated he picked FSU.
I have a story about coach Bowden. In 1998 I was an Executive Sous Chef at the SanDestin Bch Hilton in Destin Fl. I went to a Food Expo in Tallahassee, and my 1st day there I pulled into a Circle K off of Appalachee and there was Coach Bowden standing out front putting peanuts into an RC Cola. (Southern thing) I approached him (had a UM Hat on) and introduced myself, and told him I had a family member on staff, and got to talking for a good 10 minutes. He couldn't have been more cordial, and he said something that I'll never forget. (They had just beaten us a few weeks before...but the game was closer than the final score. He said he noticed a significant change with UM....and told me that we were headed in the right direction, and Butch (who he knew well) would eventually turn things around. Ironically, a few weeks later we beat UCLA, which put FSU into the title game vs Tennessee

I have a story about coach Bowden. In 1998 I was an Executive Sous Chef at the SanDestin Bch Hilton in Destin Fl. I went to a Food Expo in Tallahassee, and my 1st day there I pulled into a Circle K off of Appalachee and there was Coach Bowden standing out front putting peanuts into an RC Cola. (Southern thing) I approached him (had a UM Hat on) and introduced myself, and told him I had a family member on staff, and got to talking for a good 10 minutes. He couldn't have been more cordial, and he said something that I'll never forget. (They had just beaten us a few weeks before...but the game was closer than the final score. He said he noticed a significant change with UM....and told me that we were headed in the right direction, and Butch (who he knew well) would eventually turn things around. Ironically, a few weeks later we beat UCLA, which put FSU into the title game vs Tennessee

That's great. I could see that. Pops Kendra always said he was a super nice, old school, god fearing individual. Told him I apologize, but I still have to hate him once a year!

That's great. I could see that. Pops Kendra always said he was a super nice, old school, god fearing individual. Told him I apologize, but I still have to hate him once a year!
I also knew former FSU RB coach Billy Sexton's brother Jimmy, who owned Sextons Seafood Market in Destin Fl (still there) and also was super nice and respectful. Great Seafood as well...

And probably my favorite up here was Ed McCaffery. Good friends, graduated together. He was an absolute animal and another I used to constantly nag to pick us. I'm pretty sure he was one of the top ranked te's in the country from all his accolades. All around machine back then. We won states in basketball with him also. Hit a baseball a mile, drive a golf ball where it took forever to come down. Pure athlete and top 2% in our class academically. He was big but even stronger than he looked. Went to Stanford and absolutely beat ND almost by himself one game back then. And to top it off he was the quietest, nicest guy you could ever meet.

Whole family was studs back then. Sister was a year younger and went to Georgetown for basketball, Billy went to Duke a couple years after that as a highly rated basketball player and played with the likes of Hurley, Laettner, Hill etc. Now you have Ed's kids all over football, along with the fact Ed was on 3 Super Bowl teams.

And that was back when Dwayne, Rock, Johnson played up here a few years after. Used to see him at alot of our hang outs/gatherings and when pops was wrestling at Ag Hall in Allentown weekly. That place was big in getting the WWF to where it is today.

Time fly's my friend. Just thinking about it makes me wonder how it all went by so quick.

Advertisement
Maybe I should’ve you used a different word but I feel like real is prudent. If you have been following Footballville since the beginning they would probably use the same word, “real” to describe Miami youth and Hs football.

Real means, coverage without fluff shǐt. Games showing parents yelling and screaming. Interviews with kids where they can be their authentic self. Miami football on full display.

People will always have a preference for what they follow. It’s wild to me how canes fans segment each other and want to discredit or put others down because they have a different perspective.

People at footballville and Caneville do great work in the community and they happen to be black men covering a sport in which the majority of the players at highest level are black. That comes with advantages and disadvantages.
All can be true but WTF were they doing causing drama about a QB from Georgia that was 3rd/4th string?

It’s wild to me how canes fans segment each other and want to discredit or put others down because they have a different perspective.

There is a difference between putting down others for having a different perspective versus putting down others for having an asinine opinion and publicly calling the players' parents to arms. When Canes fans go after people who do the latter, I'm not at all surprised by it and nobody else should be either.

Sure, be real. Just don't be real stupid or a real *******. Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post.

Last edited:
No, but nice try. See my post above. It’s not about black or white. It’s about south Florida football and bringing awareness to the greatness in the area. The only way to do that is to be in the trenches from little league.

Idk why everyone wants to make shît about race.
BECAUSE

THEY DO

It ain't that hard.

Advertisement
Also, had family friends whose son went there in I think 96, Danny Kendra, and was all set to take over as there qb in '98 until a devastating knee injury.

Kendra was a beast for sure, I've always said that He was the precursor to Tebow. I remember He hit a UM DB so hard in the 97' game, that the people in the next county over probably heard it, sent the DB flying about 10 yds. LOL.

But was He that good of a passer though?...good enough to hold Weinke at bay?

Advertisement
Back