CanesLegacy Show: 3/14/21: Top Recruit For Each Head Coach and 2018 FSU Re-watch

View as article

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
We're back with another edition of the CanesLegacy show! We discuss the top recruit form each head coach, re-watch the 2018 FSU comeback, review the CanesCountdown, and take questions from @Paranos @djnellz @SinisterCane and @ATL Canes.

Please like and subscribe to the CanesInsight Youtube page. There are multiple shows a week covering all things Cane related.

Enjoy!

Advertisement
We're back with another edition of the CanesLegacy show! We discuss the top recruit form each head coach, re-watch the 2018 FSU comeback, review the CanesCountdown, and take questions from @Paranos @djnellz @SinisterCane and @ATL Canes.

Please like and subscribe to the CanesInsight Youtube page. There are multiple shows a week covering all things Cane related.

Enjoy!

Good lord, I hope the @Paranos question involves the ideal weight for a woman...

Since his time at Miami Manny seems to values and has chosen experience over more talented under classmen almost every time. Do you see T-rob overriding Manny by starting younger secondary players over Ivey and Carter - both who are awful in coverage

Since his time at Miami Manny seems to values and has chosen experience over more talented under classmen almost every time. Do you see T-rob overriding Manny by starting younger secondary players over Ivey and Carter - both who are awful in coverage

If Manny dictates to Trob who's going to start in his secondary, Trob will be gone before the season starts. That may be an exaggeration but you don't hire one of the best DB coaches in the country and then tell him Amari Carter and DJ Ivey need to start because they "know the defense".

Trob is coming in with a fresh set of eyes and will allow the competition to work itself out between now and Bama. I don't expect Carter to play a significant amount of snaps this year, unless it's in a LB/striker type of role. With Ivey, who knows, maybe it finally all comes together but we finally have some options at CB. Trob knows what good college defensive backs look like and he's going to play the ones that give him the best chance of becoming a DC again.

Advertisement

I hear this as a gripe a lot. Which players, in your opinion, have been given limited time, but been more productive than upper classmen in the limited reps they've received?

Chaney and Rooster both got plenty of snaps but it's not like Cam underperformed. None of the receivers proved to be any better than the starters in games (which is extremely concerning). Tecory Couch played plenty and proved he could handle himself. Balom played plenty but wasn't clearly better than Carter/Hall/Bolden. Harrison Hunte played plenty. The young DE's got reps even though they were behind two dogs (admittedly more so when games were over).

Yeah, I would've benched Wiggins and Pope and let the younger receivers learn. And I would have liked to see a lot more of Sam Brooks at LB. Beyond that, I haven't seen guys that have EARNED reps not get them.

It's an honest question. I haven't observed favoritism as much as I've seen guys not producing not playing, WR's notwithstanding. That room is a disaster.

I don't expect Carter to play a significant amount of snaps this year, unless it's in a LB/striker type of role. With Ivey, who knows, maybe it finally all comes together but we finally have some options at CB.

Carter becomes Ed Reed before Ivey becomes Dee Delaney.

I hear this as a gripe a lot. Which players, in your opinion, have been given limited time, but been more productive than upper classmen in the limited reps they've received?

Chaney and Rooster both got plenty of snaps but it's not like Cam underperformed. None of the receivers proved to be any better than the starters in games (which is extremely concerning). Tecory Couch played plenty and proved he could handle himself. Balom played plenty but wasn't clearly better than Carter/Hall/Bolden. Harrison Hunte played plenty. The young DE's got reps even though they were behind two dogs (admittedly more so when games were over).

Yeah, I would've benched Wiggins and Pope and let the younger receivers learn. And I would have liked to see a lot more of Sam Brooks at LB. Beyond that, I haven't seen guys that have EARNED reps not get them.

It's an honest question. I haven't observed favoritism as much as I've seen guys not producing not playing, WR's notwithstanding. That room is a disaster.
Keyshawn Smith got open every time he played, Redding actually caught a few balls and looked the part as well. Literally any of the young linebackers should have played, they couldn't have been worse than Jennings and McCloud. Jalen Rivers should have played guard as well.

There are probably more but that's off the top of my head. Also, i don't know if these players earned more playing time (outside of Smith who looked great) as we didn't really get a chance to see them play, and that's the problem. Additionally, the starters at these positions absolutely didn't earn the right to keep their jobs.

I know you already pointed most of these out, but I'd only say that this is enough to feel like there's a lot of favoritism given to the older players, in my opinion.

Keyshawn Smith got open every time he played, Redding actually caught a few balls and looked the part as well. Literally any of the young linebackers should have played, they couldn't have been worse than Jennings and McCloud. Jalen Rivers should have played guard as well.

There are probably more but that's off the top of my head. Also, i don't know if these players earned more playing time (outside of Smith who looked great) as we didn't really get a chance to see them play, and that's the problem. Additionally, the starters at these positions absolutely didn't earn the right to keep their jobs.

I know you already pointed most of these out, but I'd only say that this is enough to feel like there's a lot of favoritism given to the older players, in my opinion.

I see what you're saying but you're also kinda proving my point. If we didn't really get a chance to see them play, it's pretty difficult to know if the starters at those positions didn't earn the right to keep their jobs. Now, the WR's are obvious. I don't see how you get worse than two upperclassmen who still can't catch worth a **** -- you gotta give the youth time to learn there.

But let me ask you this... does it make any sense that Diaz would sell PT to guys like Knighton and Chaney and give it to them given they performed well in games, but NOT do the same for other positions?

My opinion is there's favoritism to the extent that guys who understand the playbook and do the right thing (lead by example) off the field get to start. And I'm good with that, for the most part, because otherwise you're telling guys "it doesn't matter if you do the right thing as long as you're more talented." That doesn't work for long. And again, I really don't get it with the WR's, but for the most part it looks to me like guys who are showing they can play get to play.

Advertisement

Good morning my question specific to defense as its been stated that Manny is hand off on the offense

Advertisement
Back