Canes with the easiest schedule in the ACC?

Advertisement
Three open dates. Pitt and UVA at home. Duke starting a new QB. GT in transition. Potentially only one real cold weather game in just three trips out of Florida.

Objectively, anything more than two losses will be an epic failure.

Pitt is on the road, and I wouldn't sleep on UVA on a short week. But yea, on paper it appears to be a very weak schedule right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Hard to move up in the rankings when you don't play ranked teams.
Yeah it is, but that really has no bearing on our 2019 season. Our paths are simple...

Win the coastal and beat Clemson and we go to the playoff.

Win the coastal and don't beat Clemson and we almost surely don't go to the playoff but at least we have a decent year.

Don't win the coastal and our season is an unmitigated disaster.

Period.

Advertisement
Hard pressed to not have a perfect storm type of situation here, especially in Manolo’s 1st season at the helm. On paper, outside of the Florida game we should be winners and headed to the ACCCG versus Clemson. But games aren’t played on paper. Look for the Canes to play with a toughness though not seen since the Butch era and for us to really take care of teams instead of playing in tightly contested affairs. All of the hard work being put in by the S&C staff plus the kids working over the summer months should yield a hungry team, especially focused on erasing the dreadful memories of 2018.

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves; how about we get it started this season with a win against the Gators to introduce the TNM - maybe a 100 yard rusher and a QB who looks somewhat able to control the offense who made a big play or two?

Oh yeah and lets try and win field position in a big game for a change. Then the rest of the Coastal will maybe need to start worrying.

Advertisement

It will all come down what our QB can do with hopefully a robust and creative playbook.

I think we win 10+, but if we lose 3 or 4 games, and we play with an edge like a Miami team should, I wouldn't be too upset. We have a pretty young team with a new offense and new QB. We will win 10+ while playing like a Miami team should though. Speaking it into existence.

Advertisement
Back