Canes will have "practice game" for FAMU tomorrow

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Mark Richt addressed the media after the team’s second practice since the conclusion of camp on Saturday morning. Richt explained that today was the first day that the practice squad was arranged.

“I thought it was very well organized. I have to give credit to the graduate assistant coaches and even the guys who were on the scout team,” Richt said.

“They did a really good job of getting lined up quickly and they gave us a good look. For Day 1, it was excellent, and that's not easy to do. I challenged those guys, but they rose to the challenge and did a great job.”

The team will have a “practice game” for FAMU tomorrow, according to Richt.

That's important, because tomorrow those same guys are going to be Florida A&M when we have our little practice game.

“We'll probably have a lift up there and have some of the coaches that would be in the booth go up on the lift, trying to simulate being upstairs. We'll have our headsets on offense and defense,” Richt said.

“The other thing that's brand new is the offense and the defense will be wearing the same colors. It'll be the first time we're not opposing each other, so I enjoy that day a lot, because it's been competing all spring, competing all camp, and now we're on the same team."

Richt, with more on the format of tomorrow’s practice game:

“What we'll do is we'll practice pregame warmup, we'll practice basically the second half of a game - the third and fourth quarter. We'll have a normal game clock. We'll have a normal play clock. We will substitute from third down to a punt team, or third down to a field goal or a touchdown to an extra point, third down to punt block. We'll transition in all of our kicking games. We're going to do our kicking game...I think we're going to tackle to the ground on that against the scouts. Our scouts won't tackle our first-team units.”

Advertisement
I'm a little worried about the coaches being up in a lift. Do we have a contingency plan in place? That Declan Sullivan incident still haunts me.

[TWEET]768122354610401280[/TWEET]
[TWEET]768111578822606850[/TWEET]
[TWEET]768109130154467328[/TWEET]
[TWEET]768082954224541697[/TWEET]

I think we're going to tackle to the ground on that against the scouts. Our scouts won't tackle our first-team units.”

lol get 'em Mark!

Advertisement
A practice game for a practice game? The FAMU and FAU games themselves are practice games for the next 10 opponents. App State was meant to be a practice game even though it may not end up being so.

A practice game for a practice game? The FAMU and FAU games themselves are practice games for the next 10 opponents. App State was meant to be a practice game even though it may not end up being so.

Take a lap and sit down somewhere.

Advertisement
I think we're going to tackle to the ground on that against the scouts. Our scouts won't tackle our first-team units.”

lol get 'em Mark!

I remember my scout team experience at Western Michigan when I tackled Greg Jennings in a live drill. I never ran so much in my life and didn't understand why. Until we started the season and I saw how he was the team on offense. **** never happened again.

Apparently some here haven't played football before. You actually have to practice getting your special teams and situational personnel on the field and lined up. Plus there are plays and formations for those special teams and special plays used against each opponent. Ol' Beamer made a career of it at VT. Gotta be solid in "all phases" of the game. We just haven't seen a professional at work in years that's all.

Advertisement

Take a lap and sit down somewhere.

You aren't willing to admit that we scueduled complete garbage for the first 3 games?

Whatever team you root for does the same chief.

What are you a Gator fan? You guys don't even schedule us. FOH

Apparently some here haven't played football before. You actually have to practice getting your special teams and situational personnel on the field and lined up. Plus there are plays and formations for those special teams and special plays used against each opponent. Ol' Beamer made a career of it at VT. Gotta be solid in "all phases" of the game. We just haven't seen a professional at work in years that's all.

For as many "fans" on here, a significant % dont know **** bout football.

Advertisement

Wrong. Wrong. Everyone knows you burn a timeout coming out of a TV timeout or get a delay of game penalty coming out of a timeout. These are facts about football. Just ask James Coley.

Granted, the first three games of our schedule shouldn't be allowed in the FBS. It's a straight-up disgrace, but the coaches and players had zero impact on its organization and can only win the games in front of them.

Granted, the first three games of our schedule shouldn't be allowed in the FBS. It's a straight-up disgrace, but the coaches and players had zero impact on its organization and can only win the games in front of them.

Not really a disgrace.
It's an opportunity for the team to work out the kinks and also an opportunity to give some backups some playing time.
Not sure why Cane fans get their shorts in a bunch over these games.
This is part of college football.

For as many "fans" on here, a significant % dont know **** bout football.

So why does Richt pit the starters vs the no.2s during scrimmages?

Advertisement
Back