Canes vs UF - hotel suggestions

I went to grad school in Gainesville so I'll give you a serious answer. ;)

Assuming you are able to find something for a reasonable price that you want to book, I'd advise you NOT to stay on SW 13th on the SE side of town. That's the shady part of Gainesville. Unless you are into the shady stuff, then you go right on ahead....

Downtown, directly east of campus is good. Midtown, directly north of the stadium is a good place to look for VRBO or Airbnb, but you WILL have to rent the whole weekend (probably will have to do the same for many of the hotels too though - it's typical in SEC college towns).

Another option is NE on Newberry, on the other side of 75. IIRC, there's a Days Inn and maybe some other stuff there too. If there's anything SE off Archer around 75, that's fine too. I remember my MIL stayed somewhere near the Steak-in-Shake that wasn't bad. Like I said, just avoid SW 13th south of Archer. The town is pretty much a square revolving around campus, so if you look at a map, you'll see what I mean. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions though!

Advertisement
Looking forward to the season and never been to a game in trashville so I am planning on going. Is there a common hotel where it is common for the visiting team fans to stay at? Does UM have a hotel block for season ticket holders?
We’ve been there several times for games and always stayed in Ocala. The Hilton there used to be nice but don’t know how it is now.

Trailer parks…otherwise book in Orlando and make the drive.
This is probably your best bet. Trying to find a decent place to stay in Gainesville is a crapshoot, pardon the pun. Most places, you’ll be thankful just to have a T.V. and a toilet.

Last edited:
I snagged a room at the aLoft using Bonvoy points. It’s a mid hotel but beats driving to Ocala or Orlando after the game.
I tried finding a room with with points from bonvoy Hyatt and ihg nono available Hyatt wanted 1000$ for a hotel that night in gainesville I booked a room in Ocala with points its 38 miles miles from stadium and on the way home I also had the same problem in Tallahassee last year and stayed home for the first time in 20 years

Advertisement
Yeah by this time prices are probably already pretty **** high. Can try looking at Alachua, Palatka, Lake City, Newberry, and Waldo.

Can try calling the hotels in GNV directly and maybe get lucky with a new employee on the line who gives you a family member of a student rate.

Advertisement
1000002476.gif

Advertisement
Looking forward to the season and never been to a game in trashville so I am planning on going. Is there a common hotel where it is common for the visiting team fans to stay at? Does UM have a hotel block for season ticket holders?
I almost took a HC job there and thought better of it. Meet a college chick and crash in her dorm, bro. At least the mess hall is probably all you can eat?

You can always stay by the retaining pond

Hotel Oleo is between 500 and 1,000 right now. I was going to book there, and film a fake OV video, but I am not paying those prices. I'll find a different day during the summertime to pull my prank.

Hotel Oleo is between 500 and 1,000 right now. I was going to book there, and film a fake OV video, but I am not paying those prices. I'll find a different day during the summertime to pull my prank.
Go in August. There really is nothing like having your ******* glued to your thigh from the humidity.

Advertisement

Look, I'm just going to be honest with you.

NO, Miami does not have a hotel block for season ticket holders. Nope. Nothing of the sort.

Furthermore, Hogtown doesn't have a lot of hotels. Certainly not big hotels.

Your best bet is to stay in Ocala. Or Orlando. Staying in Hogtown is terrible on a number of levels, and I'm not just talking about smells. The traffic in Hogtown is bad NOW, just normally, and it will be worse on gameday. I have been driving between Orlando and Atlanta for the last couple of years, and my niece goes to UiF, and Archer Road is now jam-packed for most of the day every day.

Personally, because I am travelling on my own, I got a mid-room in a mid-hotel near downtown, because my niece lives a few blocks away, and I can easily pick her and her boyfriend up in the morning before heading to the game. If I was travelling with more people and staying for longer, I would stay at The World Equestrian Center or The Equestrian Hotel in Ocala. The only bad part is that the Ocala Bucees will not be open until 2025.

Go in August. There really is nothing like having your ******* glued to your thigh from the humidity.

I've mentioned this before, but I have my graduate tax law degree from UiF (yes, that technically makes me an alum). I rented a house near the law school and used to ride my bike to the law school quite a bit (the on-campus parking was terrible even then).

I definitely know about that Hogtown humidity...

I went to grad school in Gainesville so I'll give you a serious answer. ;)

Assuming you are able to find something for a reasonable price that you want to book, I'd advise you NOT to stay on SW 13th on the SE side of town. That's the shady part of Gainesville. Unless you are into the shady stuff, then you go right on ahead....

Downtown, directly east of campus is good. Midtown, directly north of the stadium is a good place to look for VRBO or Airbnb, but you WILL have to rent the whole weekend (probably will have to do the same for many of the hotels too though - it's typical in SEC college towns).

Another option is NE on Newberry, on the other side of 75. IIRC, there's a Days Inn and maybe some other stuff there too. If there's anything SE off Archer around 75, that's fine too. I remember my MIL stayed somewhere near the Steak-in-Shake that wasn't bad. Like I said, just avoid SW 13th south of Archer. The town is pretty much a square revolving around campus, so if you look at a map, you'll see what I mean. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions though!

I booked a room for one night near downtown, just east of campus. I'm curious to see if they will eventually try to cancel my reservation.

I've told most people who insist on staying in Hogtown to find a place on Archer near I-75, but it's expensive and most places are booked.

I tried finding a room with with points from bonvoy Hyatt and ihg nono available Hyatt wanted 1000$ for a hotel that night in gainesville I booked a room in Ocala with points its 38 miles miles from stadium and on the way home I also had the same problem in Tallahassee last year and stayed home for the first time in 20 years
i dont make the trip to FSU anymroe bc of that. its a pain really.

Advertisement
Back