Canes v BC

The whole travel ball/showcase thing really took off in the early to mid 2000's. I'm curious as to if Morris has not been able to adjust to the new landscape of college baseball with Perfect Game becoming a monopoly for any kid with hopes of playing D1 baseball when he turns 14. I know there are a plethora of other reasons, but just a discussion topic.

Can you elaborate? What their, Perfect Game, angle?

It's a bit different with football because you really only play for your school team. Sure there are 7 on 7 events and all star events and showcases in the summer, but summer baseball is so much bigger than when you play high school baseball, it really isn't even a close comparison for future collegiate players.

Perfect Game is the Rivals/Scout of baseball. Except they are really the only choice for serious players/scouts/fans/coaches, they don't have many competitors. They're an organization that hosts baseball tournaments and individual player showcases. They host extremely competitive tournaments all throughout the country, and their national championship tournaments, located in Georgia (Marietta, Wood Bat) and Florida (Fort Myers, Metal) can field close to 200 teams. Any top level baseball player once they hit age 14 can usually be found at a couple of tournaments/showcases a year run by Perfect Game. Many top prospects throughout their youth career will play in dozens of tournaments and participate in a showcase annually.

Of course, they are a money making machine charging teams over $1000 for a tournament that usually guarantees 4 games. During the tournament, each player has the option of partaking in a college like showcase event for an average of $400 per player in which they will complete in individual drills and a scrimmage at the end of the weekend watched by scouts. Depending on the location, tournament and a bunch of other interest variables, the numbers can vary from a couple to hundreds. Each player receives a numerical grade from 1-10, along with many of notes that go on Perfect Game's huge database that subscribers can pay a lot of money to access. Though they have a little bit of information available free to the public. Go to perfectgame.org and search one of our players and you'll be able to see the type of pitches, and the velocity from any Perfect Game tournament they participated in. Their biggest tournament, the WWBA World Championship, held in late October in Jupiter, FL is only for the top high school players in the world and teams must qualify for the event. I've been there and it's a prospect's dream, I've never seen so many golf carts and different hats of different schools on so many scouts. Top games will draw 200+ scouts of major league teams and almost any college in the country, D1 to D3.

Right when the internet really took over, Perfect Game took over college scouting. It's grown every year since when they started in
1998. I wish they had all of the numbers since their inception. 29 of last years 31 draft picks attended a Perfect Game event.

Here are the numbers of players drafted that have attended a PG event and the overall total number of players drafted.
2007: 1,048 of 1,453 (72%)
2008: 1,164 of 1,504 (77%)
2009: 1,191 of 1,521 (78%)
2010: 1,266 of 1,525 (83%)
2011: 1,323 of 1,530 (85%)
Overall: 5,992 of 7,533 (80%)

How it ties in with Miami baseball? Well, I'm not exactly too sure about, but we haven't been good since I have been following in 2009. Our last championship was in 2001 and we just lost to an 0-20 BC team, so we are a **** of a long way from anywhere close to that. Obviously, the entire game of college recruiting has changed because of the internet, but it seems like Jimmy Morris has not been able to adapt to that. It just seems to me that if you send enough scouts to enough of these tournaments, which there are so many of, and so many close, you are bound to find so many prospects that are not going straight to the bigs. I kind of follow Miami baseball recruiting, but I don't really think anyone can follow it as close to we do football. Information just isn't there. Morris gets the top players to commit every year, they just go to the draft. Imagine if we had Carlos Correa at short? Regardless, with the local talent we have down here, we should be hosting a super regional every year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Soy I appreciate the info, but your avatar is not cool, don't post a picture of a man's family, especially when you're complaining about him, just my opinion.

Soy I appreciate the info, but your avatar is not cool, don't post a picture of a man's family, especially when you're complaining about him, just my opinion.

Yeah, I suppose you may be correct, I should probably take ti down. I had EJ as my avatar and he left, so I was hoping it'd have the same effect.

Advertisement
Advertisement
@CanesBaseball: There is a 3:35 p.m. curfew in effect for today's game - no full inning can be started later than that set time; 2-2 here B-11

@CanesBaseball: Walkoff homerun from Matt Pare, and the #Canes fall to Boston College 3-2 in the 11th inning

Advertisement
**** makes me sick. We just dropped a series to the worst team BY FAR in the ACC

walk off HR in the 11th. BC wins 3-2 and takes the series 2 to 1.

I know we aren't that good this year but still didn't see that coming. Diaz and Suarez both pitched well and should have had W's.

Advertisement
I feel for our starting pitching. Those guys are borderline elite. They have no run support.

Embarrassing, absolutely embarrassing. These guys shouldn't even be on the same field as us. We literally just made their season by them beating us. Highlight of their season was that game. We had a chance to make a statement and possibly sneak into a decent seed for the national tournaments, but nope, we suck. Except for B-Rad and Diaz, they've really been dealing the whole year.

lol we're now tied for 8th in the ACC w/ Va. Tech after they had a big sweep against UVA in a doubleheader yesterday.

We're 2 games up on Duke for 8th and final seed in ACC tournament, however they hold the tiebreaker as they beat us 2 of 3 at the Light. Each team has 6 games to play.

We take a break from conference play and have the Johnny's visit from NY next weekend. We go to Wake (7-16, T10th) and then finish regular season play up as Georgia Tech (12-12, 6th) comes to town for a Thursday-Saturday series. A 4-2 record for us in those two series would make Duke have to sweep 5. UVA and 13. NC State, as well as Va. Tech going 5-1 to knock us out. If we split 3-3, Duke has to go 5-1, and Va. Tech go 4-2. Unless we monumentally collapse, we will make the ACC tournament. And if we do, our season will hopefully be over, but we would still probably have a pretty good shot to make it to a regional.

One of top college baseball guys had us projected in the realm of possibly hosting a regional before this weekend. Completely forget about this now. Our RPI was 12. Not sure how, but it was.

Top 8 make it into ACC tournament. I'm almost positive that it is top 8 from entire conference and not top 4 from Atlantic and Coastal...I could be wrong though.

1. UNC plays 13. NC State in the rubber match tonight on ESPNU @ 7. UNC team is 41-4 and has an absolutely ridiculous lineup.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back