Canes up to #10 in the Baseball America poll

I don't know about those polls on Baseball America...Florida went from #5 to #4 in the country despite losing two midweek games to Jacksonville and FAMU and looking bad in a close win to Missouri. Plus when we took the season series against them at a time our Canes weren't playing well and I was not impressed by the gators then or the gators now.

Advertisement
I don't think being a National Seed is 'vital'. Hosting a Regional is more important, IMO. We've proven we can win on the road.

I don't think being a National Seed is 'vital'. Hosting a Regional is more important, IMO. We've proven we can win on the road.

60% of the CWS participants in the Super Regional era were national seeds. 30% were other hosts, 10% didn't host anything. National seeds certainly have the easiest path to Omaha. We have played one national seed-caliber team on the road and we didn't compete in two of three games. If we go on the road for the Super Regional, it won't be against a team like Clemson or NC State.

60% of the CWS participants in the Super Regional era were national seeds. 30% were other hosts, 10% didn't host anything. National seeds certainly have the easiest path to Omaha. We have played one national seed-caliber team on the road and we didn't compete in two of three games. If we go on the road for the Super Regional, it won't be against a team like Clemson or NC State.
Also, if you're a National Seed, you're for **** sure hosting a Regional, and if you make it thru the Regional, you're hosting the Super Regional too. The Top 8 National Seeds' Regionals are paired up against 9-16's Regionals. That means that if all the #1 seeds in Regionals were to hold (hypothetically), it sets up Super Regionals of 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14...and so on...with the higher seed hosting.

Being a Top 8 National Seed is definitely more important than just hosting a Regional is. Playing at The Light for both Regionals and Super Regionals can do nothing but help our chances for Omaha.

I think we will get handpicked tough opponents for our Regional no matter what. Just like FSU and the Gatas will be handed the biggest duds they can find, we will get at least two dangerous teams.

We could use a National Seed, or we will end up at the worst possible Super Regional.

Advertisement
I think we will get handpicked tough opponents for our Regional no matter what. Just like FSU and the Gatas will be handed the biggest duds they can find, we will get at least two dangerous teams.

This is definitely true with FSU. The selection committee has been trying to get Martin a national championship for years. The head of the committee one year lived down the street from Martin. I know that because my parents lived down the street from both of them as well. That was the year that FSU got Notre Dame for Supers because ND beat South Alabama. (and then of course ND beat FSU but dang that was a road that some high school teams could have taken to Omaha). As for UF, the same hasn't been true. I don't think the committee has done them any favors necessarily. FSU has been absolutely ridiculous with the hookups. Even look at last year, FSU gets Indiana in Supers. Indiana ended up being pretty dang good but we are talking about a northern Big 10 team who has never been good. These guys had no experience. Didn't make the postseason the year before I don't think. And then of course they beat FSU in Tallahassee. Cannot stand Martin and his show that he puts on for the media. The guy is a jerk. Sorry. Rant over. I am just tired of seeing South Alabama, Troy, UCF, and Stetson be FSU's road to Omaha.

We need to be a top 8 seed to avoid (going to) UF and FSU in a Super.

Advertisement
Back