Canes that benefit most from eligibility ruling.

Advertisement
that would be all the underclassmen(Freshman,RFR, sophomore ) they get to play and not burn a year or a redshirt(???). so most players will have a 6 year window instead of 5 now to play

Apologies if it has been stated somewhere else, but I have not seen it if so - I think this rule is great and it is nice to see the NCAA do something proactive and logical for the students, but have they addressed if there will be scholarship limit increases? Ironically this might help Miami fully get to the 85 scholarships, but if they don't up the total scholarships (at least temporarily), there will not be room for a lot of teams to allow their seniors to stay and still take a full recruiting class.

Obviously teams will make room for the D'Eriq Kings of the world, but if are they going to keep a Zach McCloud if it means less recruits to sign? Or would they encourage someone else to move on who they normally would have kept? Not saying they should or shouldn't do any of these things, just wondering how it is going to work.

Advertisement
Wouldn't an easy way to do it be to keep all roster numbers as is 85/25 and just grandfather in any player in college at this time. Meaning the next year recruiting number stay the same but all the seniors that come back, say all 10 come back, then our roster can be 95. Same thing the next year.
For the next 4 years we recruit and pick up players as normal but the seniors do not count against your total number of 85, do this for 4 years and then back to normal. Would this work?

Apologies if it has been stated somewhere else, but I have not seen it if so - I think this rule is great and it is nice to see the NCAA do something proactive and logical for the students, but have they addressed if there will be scholarship limit increases? Ironically this might help Miami fully get to the 85 scholarships, but if they don't up the total scholarships (at least temporarily), there will not be room for a lot of teams to allow their seniors to stay and still take a full recruiting class.

Obviously teams will make room for the D'Eriq Kings of the world, but if are they going to keep a Zach McCloud if it means less recruits to sign? Or would they encourage someone else to move on who they normally would have kept? Not saying they should or shouldn't do any of these things, just wondering how it is going to work.
The seniors that stay don't get counted against the 85 scholarships. But if they transfer, they do.

Advertisement
The rule is great and all but of the list of players in the article, who do you think actually stays? Could be huge for us considering Bama is on the schedule if King stays.

Several Canes players have been mentioned As potential beneficiaries of the new NCAA rule, but no one has mentioned Donaldson. I know Donaldson was considering a redshirt, but if Donaldson gets healthier (and more fit) earlier than expected this season, he can come in during the season provide some size and experience at left guard, the current weakest position on the offensive line where Ousman Traore, Zion Nelson, and Jakai Clark are currently battling it out. If healthy, Donaldson, a former freshman all American, would be a clear upgrade over any of them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This hands down benefits junior Nauvaghn Donaldson the most he now get 3 yrs to play which allows him to get healthy all of this year as a redshirt than have 2 years to play himself into a 1st round pick off guard for the 2023 NFL draft.

Go Canes

Well so could they... They'll have guys come back too. Works both ways.

I didn’t say it would make it an easier game for us, it would just give us a better chance to compete with then... also it’s very likely that Bamas best players are going pro junior and senior like they usually do.

The Defensive lineman, Jon Ford & the rest IMO benefit greatly from an extra year of eligibility.

Also if I'm Diaz I'm encouraging DB's like Al Jr & Gurvan Hall to stick around for the 21 season, regardless of how this season goes unless you're graded as a 1st or 2nd rounder, don't declare & sign with an agent.

This ruling could benefit Amari Carter a great deal as well, I'm assuming he's coming back for a 5th year in 21 too which will continue to give us great depth in the Safety room & considering how our staff doesn't like playing young Safeties as is I'm almost certain they'll be encouraging him to come back next year.

McCloud might end up coming back depending on what his draft grade is at the end of the season.

Idk if King comes back, but I sure hope he does lol. And Harley, Pope & Wiggins are definitely coming back.

I don't think Brevin comes back no matter what, all he has to do is stay healthy & he'll be picked between rounds 2-4 at worst. Mallory should be coming back as well, no reason to declare.

I doubt Harris comes back RB's have a short shelf life, but Burns probably will return.

Advertisement
The seniors that stay don't get counted against the 85 scholarships. But if they transfer, they do.
Thanks. So no players will lose a year of eligibility for playing this year, but they would still count against the cap unless they are currently a senior? If so, I think that is a fair compromise.

Obviously it is good for the current seniors and will mean that freshmen can be played w/o worrying about burning their redshirt. It might hurt some of the current 2nd string players that might have become starters next year if those seniors left, but in the grand scheme of everything els going on right now, I think it is more than fair.

Last edited:
This hands down benefits junior Nauvaghn Donaldson the most he now get 3 yrs to play which allows him to get healthy all of this year as a redshirt than have 2 years to play himself into a 1st round pick off guard for the 2023 NFL draft.

Go Canes

Will it work that way? Doesn't he have 1 year left of eligibility and the plan was to redshirt him this year? I doubt they would let him sit out all of this year and then play two more since the intent is to let kids who play this year not have to worry about not being able to play again.

Will it work that way? Doesn't he have 1 year left of eligibility and the plan was to redshirt him this year? I doubt they would let him sit out all of this year and then play two more since the intent is to let kids who play this year not have to worry about not being able to play again.
He would need to play this year and redshirt next year for that to work...

The Defensive lineman, Jon Ford & the rest IMO benefit greatly from an extra year of eligibility.

Also if I'm Diaz I'm encouraging DB's like Al Jr & Gurvan Hall to stick around for the 21 season, regardless of how this season goes unless you're graded as a 1st or 2nd rounder, don't declare & sign with an agent.

This ruling could benefit Amari Carter a great deal as well, I'm assuming he's coming back for a 5th year in 21 too which will continue to give us great depth in the Safety room & considering how our staff doesn't like playing young Safeties as is I'm almost certain they'll be encouraging him to come back next year.

McCloud might end up coming back depending on what his draft grade is at the end of the season.

Idk if King comes back, but I sure hope he does lol. And Harley, Pope & Wiggins are definitely coming back.

I don't think Brevin comes back no matter what, all he has to do is stay healthy & he'll be picked between rounds 2-4 at worst. Mallory should be coming back as well, no reason to declare.

I doubt Harris comes back RB's have a short shelf life, but Burns probably will return.

I just got chills thinking about this. If by some miracle Manny is able to convince him to come back next year, watch out for a REALLY special year.

Advertisement
Back