Canes Stunned on Last-Second Shot in Dallas

View as article
DALLAS, TX – The 6-seed Miami Hurricanes (22-10, 11-7 ACC) fell to 11-seeded Loyola-Chicago (29-5, 15-3 MVC) in heartbreak fashion on Thursday, 64-62, in the First Round of the 2018 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, Texas. Senior guard Donte Ingram drained a game-winning three-point shot with 0.3 seconds remaining, ending the Hurricanes season.

In a game where Miami had the lead for much of the second half in their third straight trip to the dance, they were unable to pull away in the final minutes and lost in the first round for the second straight year. Loyola-Chicago clinched its first victory in the NCAA Tournament since 1985, a span of 33 years.

Ingram’s long shot from well above the key came after Lonnie Walker IV missed the first of a 1-and-1 free throw with a chance to give the Hurricanes a three-point lead with nine seconds to play. The Ramblers only found themselves down a point after the missed freebie as they pushed the ball down the court and found Ingram for a weakly contested shot by long-armed Sam Waardenburg. As former Golden State head coach Mark Jackson always says, ‘hand down, man down.’

Unforced turnovers were a major factor in the Canes’ demise. Traveling violations, dribbling off their own feet, passes that found fans in the seats and offensive fouls all added up (10 unforced turnovers to be exact), especially in this tightly contested game. Free throw shooting had been a problem for the Hurricanes all season, none more important than the missed free throw from Walker IV.

The offense was stagnant again with multiple scoring droughts that kept the Ramblers in the game. Miami had just 11 assists (only three from its guards) on 25 made baskets, and relied heavily on 1-on-1 dribble drives from its guards to get into the lane, only taking nine three-point attempts in the game. Loyola-Chicago stuck to its defensive gameplan, which led them to being the No. 5 ranked team in the nation in points allowed per game.

Miami had four players score in double-figures. Dewan Huell was the team’s most consistent player, posting 11 points (5/7 FG), 7 rebounds and three blocked shots. Walker IV led the way with 12 points, while Ja’Quan Newton had 11 and Chris Lykes had 10 points.

The Ramblers matched the school record with 29 wins in a season from their 1963 National Championship team in their first NCAA trip since losing to Patrick Ewing and Georgetown in the Sweet 16 in 1985. Loyola-Chicago advances to face third-seeded Tennessee on Saturday.

Miami’s season is done.

Last edited:
Advertisement
College basketball and the tourney specifically is the most overhyped overrated event in sports. The product is horrible, the referees suck, the venues are half full with no energy in cities over a thousand miles from most campuses, timeouts every 4 minutes with more commercials than a **** NFL game, rotations that make no sense with guys coming in off the bench 3 minutes into a game when a timeout is coming 4 minutes in, absolutely no flow to a game due to all of these examples, and without Vegas, no one would give a flying ****

DALLAS, TX – The 6-seed Miami Hurricanes (22-10, 11-7 ACC) fell to 11-seeded Loyola-Chicago (29-5, 15-3 MVC) in heartbreak fashion on Thursday, 64-62, in the First Round of the 2018 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, Texas. Senior guard Donte Ingram drained a game-winning three-point shot with 0.3 seconds remaining, ending the Hurricanes season.

In a game where Miami had the lead for much of the second half in their third straight trip to the dance, they were unable to pull away in the final minutes and lost in the first round for the second straight year. Loyola-Chicago clinched its first victory in the NCAA Tournament since 1985, a span of 33 years.

Ingram’s long shot from well above the key came after Lonnie Walker IV missed the first of a 1-and-1 free throw with a chance to give the Hurricanes a three-point lead with nine seconds to play. The Ramblers only found themselves down a point after the missed freebie as they pushed the ball down the court and found Ingram for a weakly contested shot by long-armed Sam Waardenburg. As former Golden State head coach Mark Jackson always says, ‘hand down, man down.’

Unforced turnovers were a major factor in the Canes’ demise. Traveling violations, dribbling off their own feet, passes that found fans in the seats and offensive fouls all added up (10 unforced turnovers to be exact), especially in this tightly contested game. Free throw shooting had been a problem for the Hurricanes all season, none more important than the missed free throw from Walker IV.

The offense was stagnant again with multiple scoring droughts that kept the Ramblers in the game. Miami had just 11 assists (only three from its guards) on 25 made baskets, and relied heavily on 1-on-1 dribble drives from its guards to get into the lane, only taking nine three-point attempts in the game. Loyola-Chicago stuck to its defensive gameplan, which led them to being the No. 5 ranked team in the nation in points allowed per game.

Miami had four players score in double-figures. Dewan Huell was the team’s most consistent player, posting 11 points (5/7 FG), 7 rebounds and three blocked shots. Walker IV led the way with 12 points, while Ja’Quan Newton had 11 and Chris Lykes had 10 points.

The Ramblers matched the school record with 29 wins in a season from their 1963 National Championship team in their first NCAA trip since losing to Patrick Ewing and Georgetown in the Sweet 16 in 1985. Loyola-Chicago advances to face third-seeded Tennessee on Saturday.

Miami’s season is done.

Advertisement
College basketball and the tourney specifically is the most overhyped overrated event in sports. The product is horrible, the referees suck, the venues are half full with no energy in cities over a thousand miles from most campuses, timeouts every 4 minutes with more commercials than a **** NFL game, rotations that make no sense with guys coming in off the bench 3 minutes into a game when a timeout is coming 4 minutes in, absolutely no flow to a game due to all of these examples, and without Vegas, no one would give a flying ****
Woah. You're not wrong. But that was a lot that is wrong with the tourney lol. I agree the refs suck. In one game today one of the refs was Gene Steratore who refs the NFL. That hard up for basketball refs are we? And the constant timeout break is killer. Makes me hate watching games live at all. I almost lost all interest in the tourney had Zaga and Texas Tech not pulled off some late heroics. I have those 2 in the final game in my pool. And Miami losing sucked.

Advertisement
Huh.. ok, so you don't like it. Other people do. Why are you posting on the basketball board? Some people are so ******* stupid.

It's like if after our football loss I pretended like the issue I had was with the NY6 bowls, but then 90% of my rant was with the rules of the sport at the college level and how coaches coach.

No correlation at all but I'm the stupid one, got it. Actually though, I enjoy watching the Canes play, just stating an opinion about the sport as a whole and tourney. It's a terrible product whether Canes win or lose. You're the king though so I bow down

its basketball so hard to criticize just one play, but that TO by Lawrence when we were up 7 and ripping the game away from these dudes, where he passed up a wide open 10 ft jumper and threw the ball right to a Loyola guy leading to a fast break basket was where we lost the game

its basketball so hard to criticize just one play, but that TO by Lawrence when we were up 7 and ripping the game away from these dudes, where he passed up a wide open 10 ft jumper and threw the ball right to a Loyola guy leading to a fast break basket was where we lost the game

he literally could have took two dribbles and dunked it..there was NO ONE in front of him...I sat their looking at the tv..puzzled

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back