Canes still pushing for Bama DB commit Robinson

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Sandalwood (FL) 3-star CB Jahquez Robinson landed a Miami offer when he was on campus for Miami’s massive junior day event back in February. Safeties coach Ephraim Banda was the one that gave Robinson the good news, but it took some extra effort to relay the message.

“It’s kind of a funny story. There was a lot of recruits there and coach Banda called me and was looking for me, but we could not find each other,” Robinson said. “I was looking around, couldn’t see him, and we started playing phone tag. All of a sudden, I turned around - I was right in front of him the whole time. And that’s when he offered me, he wanted to do it in person.”

Aside from chatting up coach Banda, Robinson took the opportunity to bond with some of the Hurricanes players on the visit, some of whom he already knows well.

“I spent a lot of my time hanging out with the players. I know Derrick Smith and Jeremiah Payton, and then (Bradley) Jennings and Jordan Miller both went to my high school. Jeremiah, he likes it, he’s doing good up there,” Robinson said.

Since the visit, the Canes have kept in contact with the athletic defensive back.

“It’s mainly been coach (Demarcus) Van Dyke hitting me up,” Robinson said. “I like him, a real cool and honest coach.”

Growing up a fan of the classic Hurricanes’ teams and the tradition that is “The U”, Robinson feels being recruited by Miami is extra-special for him and his family.

“My family and I have always liked Miami, so that’s kind of like a dream school of mine,” Robinson said. “As soon I got the offer, my dad was really happy, so that draws my attention to them. I grew up a Miami fan, so that makes me want to look into them even more.”

As stated, Robinson’s father is a die-hard Miami fan and liked the head coaching change that UM made from Mark Richt to Manny Diaz over the off-season.

“He wears Miami gear every day,” Robinson said of his father. “My dad actually likes coach Diaz a lot. He wasn’t really too big on coach Mark Richt. When Manny Diaz got the head coaching job, he was happy.”

Although he certainly seems open to Miami, the Canes have a bit of a hurdle to overcome: Robinson has been committed to the Alabama Crimson Tide since mid-February.

“I would say I’m 100% committed, but I’m still going to take my visits and look at all my options,” Robinson said of his Crimson Tide pledge.

And the 6-2 175 pound prospect has certainly backed up that statement. Since his commitment to Alabama, Robinson has taken trips all over the map during spring, seeing LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Georgia Tech, and Florida.

“I’m focusing on the schools where I have offers, because of course it’s different when you have an offer and when you don’t,” Robinson said. “I’m going to see as many as I can if I have the time because I’m spending most of my summer off-season working out and getting better. But I’m going to be making time for certain schools and I’m going to make sure I have time to get back down to Miami.”

What other schools that he hasn’t seen yet does Robinson want to get to?

“I want to visit Texas, I’ve always wanted to see that state. I definitely want to visit somewhere up north like Penn State.”

Robinson clocked a 4.43 shuttle time and recorded a 33.8 inch vertical recently at the Opening Orlando regional; he is planning on signing early in December with his school of choice.

Advertisement
“My family and I have always liked Miami, so that’s kind of like a dream school of mine,” Robinson said. “As soon I got the offer, my dad was really happy, so that draws my attention to them. I grew up a Miami fan, so that makes me want to look into them even more.”

- commits to Bama

Advertisement
I had to hit control + F to make sure i read correctly that Rumph wasn't mentioned at all in his recruitment. Really glad Manny is working DVD up through the system.
It's only a matter of time before other schools notice Cooney and DVD's recruiting ability and hire them as a position coach. Manny should have offered Cooney this off season.

Love how the kid has a bag in his hudl title though

- commits to Bama
Basically numb to it at this point smh

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back