Canes still in front for 2020 4-star RB Chaney Jr.

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 4-star RB Don Chaney Jr. is a top priority for the Hurricanes in the rising junior class. That was never more apparent than when UM offensive coordinator and RB coach Thomas Brown made his first recruiting stop of the week on Monday morning at a Belen Jesuit practice featuring Chaney Jr.

“Yeah, I talk to coach Brown the most of anyone at Miami,” Chaney Jr. said. “He tells me I would be the best fit for the team of all the running backs in 2020 to make Miami better and to push the team and guys already there to work harder.”

Chaney Jr. has been a frequent visitor in Coral Gables and most recently took in the Canes spring game last month.

“The visit was good, there was a lot of things that I haven’t seen that I saw,” Chaney Jr. said of his UM spring game experience. “It was great.”

What is it about the Canes that keeps Chaney Jr. coming back?

“The brotherhood and the way the coaches have a connection with their players,” Chaney Jr. said. “Miami’s just the best.”

Top-level programs such as LSU, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Georgia, and FSU have extended scholarships to Chaney Jr., but they are all chasing the Hurricanes as UM has previously been his public leader. Does Chaney Jr. still stand behind that?

“I do still list Miami as my leader and, like I said before, it’s mainly because of the brotherhood in the program,” said Chaney Jr.

With no other upcoming visits planned, Chaney Jr. is using this spring to take his game to the next level and build on a promising sophomore season at Belen Jesuit.

“My sophomore season was my best season yet,” Chaney Jr. said. “My team did very well and I performed as best as I could.”

While a decision timetable is still elusive for the young runner, Chaney Jr. knows what he’s looking for in his school of choice when it comes time to narrow things down.

“I want somewhere to feel comfortable and have a connection with the coaches,” Chaney Jr. said. “Also, the school needs to have what I decide I want to study in.”

Advertisement
Lets see what happens if he get that Ohio State offer that he covets. Its why he hasnt committed yet.

Advertisement
Where the **** you get this from? Haven't heard anything about that from the people I know involved in Belen football
This! Cane before its all said and done.
Ps. His dad may have one year of eligibility left and we need DT's!

Take your time cause I’m tired of these 20 class kids committing 2 years in advance then decomitting.

Advertisement
Lets see what happens if he get that Ohio State offer that he covets. Its why he hasnt committed yet.

I normally trust your opinion but that’s not true. One of my best friends is his uncle and that’s so not the case. His pops just has told him that once he commits somewhere there’s no decomitting and his dad wants him to get all the experiences he needs to make an informed decision.

I normally trust your opinion but that’s not true. One of my best friends is his uncle and that’s so not the case. His pops just has told him that once he commits somewhere there’s no decomitting and his dad wants him to get all the experiences he needs to make an informed decision.

Thanks for the share! Do you think there's a good chance that he becomes a cane?

He said it himself the 1 offer he wants is Ohio State because he looks up to Zeke Elliott. This was in an interview with Canesport a few months back

Advertisement
He said it himself the 1 offer he wants is Ohio State because he looks up to Zeke Elliott. This was in an interview with Canesport a few months back

Ok but how many times have kids wanted the UM offer, get it, then never come? We aren’t the only fan base it happens to. In this case the bag game will not be a factor. Not that his family is wealthy but his Pops is such a stand up guy he wouldn’t allow it. In cases where the bag game isn’t a factor our chances go through the ceiling.

Thanks for the share! Do you think there's a good chance that he becomes a cane?

I’d be really surprised if he didn’t. I remember during the V Tech game he was so caught up in the moment he wanted to commit to Richt but his dad wouldn’t allow him to. Then we went on a 3 game skid and he wanted to make sure this is what he wanted so he backed off. I respect that. Kids ENTIRE family is in south Miami heights so if he went anywhere besides Miami it would be the two little brothers of his dads alma mater USCe.

I haven't heard the interview, but saying the one offer you want is OSU is different from what you said.

Advertisement
Ok but how many times have kids wanted the UM offer, get it, then never come? We aren’t the only fan base it happens to. In this case the bag game will not be a factor. Not that his family is wealthy but his Pops is such a stand up guy he wouldn’t allow it. In cases where the bag game isn’t a factor our chances go through the ceiling.

Im just relay what he said himself. Pretty much said he wasnt going to make any decision until he knows he has the Ohio State offer or not. Also probably the reason why new 2020 RB offers are going out every day.

Covet, want same thing different words

I'm just saying, you're not new to recruiting. We've heard quite a few people say they want a particular offer but that doesn't mean that's where they plan on going nor that they haven't committed to "insert school" because they are waiting on a particular offer.

Advertisement
Back