Canes Sign #1 Class in the Country (per Baseball America)

If someone can explain how we are adding 20-22 players I'd appreciate it!
Combination of factors: 5 lost to pro ball, 10 were pushed/jumped into the portal, we were a couple players short to start last season after several freshman got booted during the fall, relaxed roster/scholarship restrictions due to COVID, and a reasonable expectation we’ll have some attrition during the fall like we always do.

Advertisement
That's awesome. I feel like we had great classes towards the end of Morris's career and then would get pillaged by the draft. Glad to hear we will get to see these guys in orange and green, and hopefully in Omaha.
"Signing" dudes like Carlos Correa that are as likely to go to college as Kylie Jenner doesn't mean you recruited a great class.

"Signing" dudes like Carlos Correa that are as likely to go to college as Kylie Jenner doesn't mean you recruited a great class.

True, but especially with how early baseball players commit you always should try to recruit the best players you can. I mean someone like Toral was the #1 HS player in the country when he commited here. Then his draft stock slipped a bit as a senior and it definitely worked in our favor.

What killed us in some previous classes was not having any good backup options behind guys like Yelich, Correa, etc.

This class was going to be a good one in a normal draft year because we had really good HS depth and a bunch of Juco options. Getting that Mederos, Rosario, and Morales trio makes it one of the best classes we've ever had though, on paper anyways

True, but especially with how early baseball players commit you always should try to recruit the best players you can. I mean someone like Toral was the #1 HS player in the country when he commited here. Then his draft stock slipped a bit as a senior and it definitely worked in our favor.

What killed us in some previous classes was not having any good backup options behind guys like Yelich, Correa, etc.

This class was going to be a good one in a normal draft year because we had really good HS depth and a bunch of Juco options. Getting that Mederos, Rosario, and Morales trio makes it one of the best classes we've ever had though, on paper anyways

this.

you recruit the best players you can for your system and your culture, unless they tell you: "i'm signing."

but the key to a good (or even great) class, is having depth of prospects, and backups for your backups.

the years we were killed in recruiting was not that we couldn't sign top players, it was because we did not have good scenario/contingency planning for when kids decided to sign. don't kid yourself, with the depth of talent UM has ready access to, and the power of the UM baseball brand, we have access to a lot of quality players. kids all over the country would love to put on the orange and green. we just need to make sure we're evaluating, planning, and managing the process well.

Advertisement
Another #1 ranking from D1Baseball. The story from the school website has a lot of quotes from Gino about the newcomers and their fall performances.

Advertisement
Back