Canes resorting to Transfer Market to help reload for next season

View as article

Paul Austria

Premium
After the Canes’ unexpected loss in the first round of the NCAA tournament, the prep for next season has officially commenced. Finding out that Lonnie Walker (hired an agent, definitely gone) as well as Bruce Brown and Dewan Huell (did not hire agents, can possibly return) all announced their intentions to enter the NBA Draft, Miami’s coaching staff suddenly finds themselves in a sticky situation. Unfortunately with the impending NCAA investigation, Miami has had very little luck with recruiting. The coaching staff has instead turned to the transfer market to see who will be able to fill the shoes of three outstanding players. Miami is also no stranger to working their magic with transfers in the past, as they’ve been able to land guys like Sheldon McClellan and Miles Wilson. Wilson is beginning his UM career next season after transferring from Mount St. Mary’s and sitting out (and redshirting) last season due to transfer rules. Here are excerpts on two players that are considering making the move to Coral Gables:

Kameron McGusty

Hailing from Katy, Texas, McGusty is choosing to transfer from the University of Oklahoma after two seasons, so he will have to sit out a year before having two years of eligibility left. Kameron has narrowed his list of suitors to just three: Virginia Tech, Houston, and Miami. He is actually making his way to Coral Gables as we speak for a visit this weekend. The 6’5” guard had a fantastic freshman season for the Sooners, playing in all 31 games and averaging 14 points/game in conference play while earning an All Big-12 honorable mention. He even enjoyed a nice streak of scoring in double-figures for 15 consecutive games. During his sophomore season however, his numbers took a slight dip due to some guy named Trae Young taking over the offense. McGusty started 8 games during his sophomore season in contrast to 17 the year before. With a long, lanky figure and a playing style most similar (in my opinion) to the style of Dorell Wright, McGusty should be an instant contributor after sitting out a year.

Zach Johnson

Shooting guard Zach Johnson is currently seeking a graduate transfer from Florida-Gulf Coast with one year of eligibility left. A South Florida native, Johnson spent 3 years playing at Miramar High School before transferring to Miami Norland for his senior season and teaming up with current Hurricane forward Dewan Huell for a state championship. According to Jeff Borzello of ESPN, Johnson has heard from a multitude of Power 5 schools, including Miami. However, what makes the chase for Johnson very unique is that he has also chosen to enter the NBA Draft without hiring an agent. Each team recruiting him will have to perform double duty in swaying him to attend their school as well as convincing him to hold off entering the draft. Zach can score in volumes, as he averaged 16.1 points/game this past season for the Eagles and even dropped a light 37 points in the Atlantic Sun conference championship game. Luckily for the Canes, they have the homecoming pitch working in their favor as well as a possible reunion with Huell. Johnson should be a very dependable scorer for the Canes should he decide to bring his talents back home.

Overall, Miami has made a lot of progress with McGusty considering they’ve been able to get a visit from him. Johnson’s recruitment is still in the primitive stages as he’s still getting calls from a ton of schools so let’s hope Jim Larranaga can work his magic.

Advertisement
Advertisement
With or without Brown, I still think you need another eligible player next season. This is in addition to ONE grad transfer.

1. We could use some help at PG. Even if Lykes can play 30 MPG, you should have another option as well.

- If Brown came back, I would be less concerned because he can actually bring up the ball too.

2. At the 2 and 3 spot, there are 80 minutes to fill.

With Brown:

- Maybe Wilson and DJ can combine for 40-50 MPG.
- Brown can play 25 MPG (at the 2 or 3) and 5-10 MPG (at PG).
- Maybe Amp can play 5-10 MPG (at the 3).

Without Brown:

- Maybe Wilson and DJ can combine for 40-50 MPG.
- Grad Transfer can play 25-30 MPG (at the 2 or 3).
- Maybe Amp can play 10 MPG (at the 3) and 20 MPG (at the 4).

Obviously we want Brown to come back but either way. There isn't a lot of eligible depth and one additional eligible player isn't enough. I don't know how much you can rely on Wilson to be ready to play big minutes. He could be like Sheldon, he could be like Muhammad or somewhere in between.

When you run 3 guards on offense, you should have at least 6 eligible players.

3. Getting a player like Johnson would be a great start. But I would look for another immediately eligible player (even if a 2018 HS senior or serviceable grad transfer).

We've also been mentioned with Ryan Taylor (Evansville grad transfer, 19ppg), Koby McCewen (Utah State soph, sit one play two, though I hear he's focused on a couple of midwest schools), Andre Fox (High Point guard, 16ppg, junior, sit one play one). Many more to come. We continue to look at unsigned 2018 HS kids and ones that may ask out of an LOI due to a coaching change

Advertisement
We've also been mentioned with Ryan Taylor (Evansville grad transfer, 19ppg), Koby McCewen (Utah State soph, sit one play two, though I hear he's focused on a couple of midwest schools), Andre Fox (High Point guard, 16ppg, junior, sit one play one). Many more to come. We continue to look at unsigned 2018 HS kids and ones that may ask out of an LOI due to a coaching change

Thank you.

A HS guy we're recruiting is Serrel Smith, SG out of St. Petersburg who avg'd 32 PPG and just got his release from Ole Miss.

Add him and Johnson and I'd really like our roster next year as long as Huell returns:

F/C: Izundu, Gak, Miller
F: Huell, Waardenburg
G/F: Lawrence, Smith
G: Wilson, Johnson
G: Lykes, DJ

Serrel Smith is a name I have heard for the last 2 years. I wonder if he will turn into the next Barry Brown that is doing big things at K. State. Brown is also out of St. Pete. Maybe we can Amp Lawrence out there recruiting for us! Coach Fisher has visited with him recently.

Advertisement
Sounds like next year might be a real struggle. Coach L will need all the help he can get. Another case of us being screwed for nothing.

Serrel Smith is a name I have heard for the last 2 years. I wonder if he will turn into the next Barry Brown that is doing big things at K. State. Brown is also out of St. Pete. Maybe we can Amp Lawrence out there recruiting for us! Coach Fisher has visited with him recently.

Kid can shoot and score.

Advertisement
Ryan Taylor, 21 ppg xsfer from Evansville, headed to Northwestern. HC Chris Collins was the difference maker per Taylor.

I want the Alvarez kid from Miami Christian. Don't see why Coach L isn't going after guys who will stay 4 years if he knows that what it takes to win. We play better with unheralded kids who learn Coach L's system than we do with 1-and-dones

Advertisement
Back