Canes @ Ramblin' Wreck Game Dos 4 p.m. First Pitch ESPNU

Advertisement
1651361633976.gif

In the midweek games matter column: We’d be 5th right now with the points we lost on Tuesday.

A loss tomorrow would drop us to approximately 21st while a win would move us back up to 9th. We have to have it. I’m not terribly optimistic.

Advertisement
RPI down to #17 with Rosario on deck. Then an NDSU series that will not help our numbers no matter what. After that we have FSU and ND. You really think in this form, we are gonna touch Messick or Bertrand? The two best pitchers in the ACC. Does this seem like the year we get the FsU monkey off our back and put it to them in the other two games? How we gonna slow down ND’s offense?

As I said last night, we are in real danger of having to fight for a 12-16 host spot. And I can tell you if we lose the FSU and ND series’ we won’t get one, unless you win the ACCT.

So did everybody but the guy in control of the lineup card
We will never make the CWS with DiMare as head coach. Period. It’s so obvious that what he does just doesn’t work. Helen Keller can see what’s wrong here.

The only thing we can hope for is that since blake is gone, and we have radakovich in place, DiMare won’t be protected and will be held accountable like any other coach

Advertisement
We will never make the CWS with DiMare as head coach. Period. It’s so obvious that what he does just doesn’t work. Helen Keller can see what’s wrong here.

The only thing we can hope for is that since blake is gone, and we have radakovich in place, DiMare won’t be protected and will be held accountable like any other coach
I won’t say never bc I think he’s gonna be here 5 more years minimum. And we saw Morris when he was nothing more than coach in name only, get great draws and make it to Omaha twice. But I will say he will never win a title. Once you get there, you can’t fake it and you won’t have easy opponents.

But I’ve been anti Gino since his first year. So you don’t have to convince me that we need a change.

Baseball is a funny game. As bad as we feel right now, if we win tomorrow and win the FSU and ND series, we are still in the national seed discussion. I know those are big "ifs" the way we are playing right now, but it's not like anyone else in the country, sans TN, is killing it week in and week out.

These kids at least have that fire in the belly that has been lacking for the last few years.

Baseball is a funny game. As bad as we feel right now, if we win tomorrow and win the FSU and ND series, we are still in the national seed discussion. I know those are big "ifs" the way we are playing right now, but it's not like anyone else in the country, sans TN, is killing it week in and week out.

These kids at least have that fire in the belly that has been lacking for the last few years.
It’s always hard to separate the cyclical nature of most baseball teams over the course of the season with the damage they’re doing in the moment.

Offensively, it’s clear we’re in a slump. It should revert back to the good, but not great offense it’s been all season. It’s a matter of when that happens, and whether Gino can make the changes necessary to accelerate it.

The bullpen was very good today outside Torres. If you can limit it to the five guys I mentioned, it’s a strength like it was last year. The overriding concern for me is the starting pitching. Palm is an upgrade on Smith but otherwise it’s very 2021ish. Maybe it’s time to go back to our strategy from the end of last year, and deploy a deep (but streamlined) bullpen with quick hooks on Saturday and Sunday. I’d still like to give Gallo a test start next Sunday unless Rosario surprises us tomorrow.

Advertisement
Playing ourselves right out of National Seed right now. Might be in trouble even hosting if they don’t get this turned around.

It’s always hard to separate the cyclical nature of most baseball teams over the course of the season with the damage they’re doing in the moment.

Offensively, it’s clear we’re in a slump. It should revert back to the good, but not great offense it’s been all season. It’s a matter of when that happens, and whether Gino can make the changes necessary to accelerate it.

The bullpen was very good today outside Torres. If you can limit it to the five guys I mentioned, it’s a strength like it was last year. The overriding concern for me is the starting pitching. Palm is an upgrade on Smith but otherwise it’s very 2021ish. Maybe it’s time to go back to our strategy from the end of last year, and deploy a deep (but streamlined) bullpen with quick hooks on Saturday and Sunday. I’d still like to give Gallo a test start next Sunday unless Rosario surprises us tomorrow.
Good assessment. I can't imagine Gino won't have quick hooks the rest of the way and I'd like to see J.D. have a greater say, if he doesn't already. And more trips to the mound in high leverage situations would be helpful. He seems to have a calming effect on these often emotional young men. Would also be nice if we bust out vs NDSU next weekend and were able to pull Palm and Ligon early.

And ya, someone has to spark us offensively. Thought it was going to be Romero yesterday, then Ligon let us down.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back