CANES PENALTIES 2020:

Silver King

Pass Block
Week 2 without Canes playing, I'm fading fast. So I thought with the board often complaining about how much we're penalized, particularly with personal foul type calls, I'd look at how we fared with the competition.

Plus, penalties are usually an indicator of team discipline. When I played there was a kind of phisophical (You can't do much else about the human element) saying that you're going to get hammered by some really bad calls, and you're going to benifit from some really bad calls that hammer the other guys. Over a season, more often than not, it tends to average out. So far we've been penalized more than our opponent 4 times, and less four times.

Hopefully I got the math right, but I'm not going to lie, I thought we'd have more than a -47 yard difference - **** that's a little over three personal fouls, I've seen recent Canes teams get that in a quarter.

For your bored/board edification.

CANES PENALTIES 2020:

+ OR - / SEASON DIFFERENCE / TOTAL YARDS PENALIZED

UAB 11-75 Miami 3-30 +45 +45 30

Louisville 7-70 Miami 11-89 -29 +16 119

FSU 12-113 Miami 8-80 +33 +49 199

Clemson 8-85 Miami 15-135 -50 L - 1 334

Pitt 10-89 Miami 5-55 +34 +33 389

VA 6-38 Miami 6-48 +10 +43 437

NC State 8-78 Miami 12-101 -23 +20 538

VT 2-10 Miami 8-77 -67 -47 615

Last edited:
Advertisement
Week 2 without Canes playing, I'm fading fast. So I thought with the board often complaining about how much we're penalized, particularly with personal foul type calls, I'd look at how we fared with the competition.

Plus, penalties are usually an indicator of team discipline. When I played there was a kind of phisophical (You can't do much else about the human element) saying that you're going to get hammered by some really bad calls, and you're going to benifit from some really bad calls that hammer the other guys. Over a season, more often than not, it tends to average out. So far we've been penalized more than our opponent 4 times, and less four times.

Hopefully I got the math right, but I'm not going to lie, I thought we'd have more than a -47 yard difference - **** that's a little over three personal fouls, I've seen recent Canes teams get that in a quarter.

For your bored/board edification.

CANES PENALTIES 2020:

+ OR - / SEASON DIFFERENCE / TOTAL YARDS PENALIZED

UAB 11-75 Miami 3-30 +45 +45 30

Louisville 7-70 Miami 11-89 -29 +16 119

FSU 12-113 Miami 8-80 +33 +49 199

Clemson 8-85 Miami 15-135 -50 L - 1 334

Pitt 10-89 Miami 5-55 +34 +33 389

VA 6-38 Miami 6-48 +10 +43 437

NC State 8-78 Miami 12-101 -23 +20 538

VT 2-10 Miami 8-77 -67 -47 615
It is surprising it is that "small".

Good on you for running the numbers!

The referees already called a targeting penalty on Carter this morning.

Advertisement
you wouldn't want to take a look at our penalties in 01. the diff was that team was dominant

Advertisement
I think we also have to understand that's there's a ton of wishy washy penalties called on us as well... I'm not discounting the ones that really hurt us like PF's and such but there were a few false start and other ones that when looked at again never happened... Then the other side of the coin as far as lack of penalties called on other teams against us.... Still can't believe that not one holding call was made against VT... Sorry but to me that kind of stuff is blatant....And over the course of a full game it has a serious affect on how the game is called..

There hasn’t been a Canes team in 30 years that hasn’t had penalty issues. From the best teams to the worsts, it’s been our only constant.

Complaining about it is just ****ing into the wind.

It’s never going to change.

Advertisement
Not all of them were penalties, and THEY got away with several.

Which ones weren't penalties? The ones where we hit their sliding quarterback in the head in front of the whole world? Or the ones where we forgot how to line up onsides and gave them a free first down after a 4th down stop?

The one on the hit to the gut of Lawrence wasn't targeting. I'll give you that. But the team was so ******* dumb that night it made me sick to my stomach. I walked out of the stadium with most of the 4th quarter to go. Couldn't take it anymore. It's one thing to lose, I can live with losing to the #1 team in the country. But we got absolutely manhandled while playing as moronically and undisciplined as humanly possible.

Advertisement
Which ones weren't penalties? The ones where we hit their sliding quarterback in the head in front of the whole world? Or the ones where we forgot how to line up onsides and gave them a free first down after a 4th down stop?

The one on the hit to the gut of Lawrence wasn't targeting. I'll give you that. But the team was so ******* dumb that night it made me sick to my stomach. I walked out of the stadium with most of the 4th quarter to go. Couldn't take it anymore. It's one thing to lose, I can live with losing to the #1 team in the country. But we got absolutely manhandled while playing as moronically and undisciplined as humanly possible.
I'm not saying we didn't commit some dumb penalties. All I am saying is Clemson got away with a **** of a lot, that if called would have made them look every bit as undisciplined. Thing is, they STILL would have won, so there was no need to protect them with ref blinders.

Do you want to sit there and tell me we get fair and even officiating in the ACC?

We keep bringing up the Bolden personal foul but that Virginia DB did the same exact thing to Payton and even started a mini scuffle yet crickets from the refs

Advertisement
Back