Canes offer a special one for fast-rising 4-star WR Lewis

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Last month, 2021 4-star WR Solomon Lewis made a visit to the University of Miami’s campus with no college offers in hand. By the time he left Coral Gables, that all changed: Lewis was given his first verbal scholarship by UM receivers coach Taylor Stubblefield on the trip.

“I was on the visit and the receivers coach gave me the offer. He surprised me, I wasn’t expecting to get offered,” Lewis said. “It was just a dream come true, just exciting man - a blessing, truly, truly blessed.”

On the visit, the 5’8”, 150 pound receiver got to see the entire campus and start building a bond with the UM coaching staff.

“They showed us the whole campus, the indoor, and oh man, it was really nice,” Lewis said. “I just like how it’s a brotherhood and it’s family. I respect that, I really respect that and I’m with it.”

Now that he has the offer and has made a visit, how would he describe his interest in the Canes?

“It’s real high, real high,” Lewis said. “I can’t wait to go back there.”

Lewis was originally in town for the Adidas East Coast Regional 7-on-7 event in Miami, and while his team didn’t win it all, Lewis still felt it was a productive occasion.

“We did pretty good, made it to the semifinals,” Lewis said. “I did well, I performed.”

Originally from Alabama, Lewis moved to Louisiana a few years back and now attends Lake Charles College Prep. In his sophomore season for Lake Charles, Lewis recorded 36 catches for 562 yards and 6 TD’s, while also taking a 96 yard kick return to the house. The speedy receiver clocked a 4.54 time at the Opening New Orleans last month as well.

“I’m a fast receiver that gets in and out of his breaks,” Lewis said. “I can beat you off the line, give you a move, run by you. I guess you could say I’m a prototypical slot receiver.”

Shortly after his Miami visit and offer, Lewis landed offer #2 from Houston, and he followed that up with a mid-April visit to the Cougars. Lewis has also made a trip to Gainesville this spring to check out the Gators.

Recently, his recruiting profile got another boost when he earned his 4th star and was named to the class of 2021 Top247 rankings released on April 9th. Lewis checked in at #168 overall in the nation.

“That was exciting, that was great,” Lewis said of getting ranked. “Hard work paying off.”

While Lewis is keeping things open for now and is unsure on a decision timeline, he does know what he is looking for in a program when he does make a choice.

“I really think it’s the offensive scheme that’s important, how much they throw the ball and how effective they are.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Last month, 2021 4-star WR Solomon Lewis made a visit to the University of Miami’s campus with no college offers in hand. By the time he left Coral Gables, that all changed: Lewis was given his first verbal scholarship by UM receivers coach Taylor Stubblefield on the trip.

“I was on the visit and the receivers coach gave me the offer. He surprised me, I wasn’t expecting to get offered,” Lewis said. “It was just a dream come true, just exciting man - a blessing, truly, truly blessed.”

On the visit, the 5’8”, 150 pound receiver got to see the entire campus and start building a bond with the UM coaching staff.

“They showed us the whole campus, the indoor, and oh man, it was really nice,” Lewis said. “I just like how it’s a brotherhood and it’s family. I respect that, I really respect that and I’m with it.”

Now that he has the offer and has made a visit, how would he describe his interest in the Canes?

“It’s real high, real high,” Lewis said. “I can’t wait to go back there.”

Lewis was originally in town for the Adidas East Coast Regional 7-on-7 event in Miami, and while his team didn’t win it all, Lewis still felt it was a productive occasion.

“We did pretty good, made it to the semifinals,” Lewis said. “I did well, I performed.”

Originally from Alabama, Lewis moved to Louisiana a few years back and now attends Lake Charles College Prep. In his sophomore season for Lake Charles, Lewis recorded 36 catches for 562 yards and 6 TD’s, while also taking a 96 yard kick return to the house. The speedy receiver clocked a 4.54 time at the Opening New Orleans last month as well.

“I’m a fast receiver that gets in and out of his breaks,” Lewis said. “I can beat you off the line, give you a move, run by you. I guess you could say I’m a prototypical slot receiver.”

Shortly after his Miami visit and offer, Lewis landed offer #2 from Houston, and he followed that up with a mid-April visit to the Cougars. Lewis has also made a trip to Gainesville this spring to check out the Gators.

Recently, his recruiting profile got another boost when he earned his 4th star and was named to the class of 2021 Top247 rankings released on April 9th. Lewis checked in at #168 overall in the nation.

“That was exciting, that was great,” Lewis said of getting ranked. “Hard work paying off.”

While Lewis is keeping things open for now and is unsure on a decision timeline, he does know what he is looking for in a program when he does make a choice.

“I really think it’s the offensive scheme that’s important, how much they throw the ball and how effective they are.”

Good stuff Stefan! Thanks again!! What's your opinion on his height as a potential issue?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Regardless of position, we are and always will be a program that prioritizes speed over size. That is one of the fundamental aspects of this program.

Last edited:
A 5'8" WR? things that make go MMM? he better be faster than speedy gonzales to make up for speedy gonzales height.

If he has Braxton Berrios-type ball skills (just put the ball in the general area and he'll do the rest) I can live with it despite his speed being less than impressive. If just offering on speed/potential it's a curious move. 5'8" 150 lbs 4 star prospect I'd expect to see that runs in the 4.3's, 4.54 seems a little slow for his size TBH.

This kid is what they call “sudden.” He gets in and out of his breaks with lighting quickness. Shows excellent body control, elusiveness in the open field, and also looks like he’s got good speed. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Advertisement
Back