Canes @ NC State...24 outs is enough

SevenNSeven

Junior
I know it's probably lost in the typical March Madness stuff, but we lost on the road against NC State, 5-3, digging the hole we're in a little bit deeper. 13 strikeouts by our feast or famine bats.

I'm starting to think Morris has tried to recruit inept bats...all to somehow justify "Jim Morris Smallball©." It just wouldn't be a Miami baseball game if we didn't:

A. Run into outs on the basepaths

B. Sac bunt, something that analytics has shown to be a loser strategy when employed too often.

C. Hit terrible situationally.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know it's probably lost in the typical March Madness stuff, but we lost on the road against NC State, 5-3, digging the hole we're in a little bit deeper. 13 strikeouts by our feast or famine bats.

I'm starting to think Morris has tried to recruit inept bats...all to somehow justify "Jim Morris Smallball©." It just wouldn't be a Miami baseball game if we didn't:

A. Run into outs on the basepaths

B. Sac bunt, something that analytics has shown to be a loser strategy when employed too often.

C. Hit terrible situationally.

THIS is IMO the signature of Morris Ball. For over a decade. Consistent incompetent base running. I always about our inability to score runners from 2nd on a base hit, and our pick offs, etc. Small ball without base running savvy? It hurts us.

I've also noticed that we get more strikes on bunt attempts whiffing on balls than anyone else. Other teams seem to pull the bat back, while we take strikes.

Its easy to 2nd guess decisions, but I swear we are constantly leaving pitchers in too long, or taking out a pitcher too early. Seems like most of the debacles I've seen have Morris pitcher decisions as the common denominator.

Ditto on the base-running - it's been inconsistent to bad for several years in a row. And it's almost entirely mental mistakes - what's Davison doing trying to steal third with two outs and Gonzalez batting? And how do returning starters regress so badly in hitting - I don't get it. If we'd simply put the ball in play more often, we'd probably have a couple more wins. I am still holding out hope that we can't be this bad offensively or in executing.

And was it really that cold that we had to wear hoodies underneath the jersey? Maybe I'm old school, but to me that tells the other team, "I'm cold, I'm soft, I'd really rather be back in my warm hotel room". I played up north so I get keeping your torso, arms and hands warm, but is a warm face and neck really going to help you hit better?

Advertisement
Ditto on the base-running - it's been inconsistent to bad for several years in a row. And it's almost entirely mental mistakes - what's Davison doing trying to steal third with two outs and Gonzalez batting? And how do returning starters regress so badly in hitting - I don't get it. If we'd simply put the ball in play more often, we'd probably have a couple more wins. I am still holding out hope that we can't be this bad offensively or in executing.

And was it really that cold that we had to wear hoodies underneath the jersey? Maybe I'm old school, but to me that tells the other team, "I'm cold, I'm soft, I'd really rather be back in my warm hotel room". I played up north so I get keeping your torso, arms and hands warm, but is a warm face and neck really going to help you hit better?

Blindfolds might make this team hit better.

All in all, 25 outs were enough tonight. Two sac bunts (in the same inning), a couple of hit into double plays, 6 total hits, and NC State wins 5-2.

This season remains equal parts disheartening and disillusioning.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back