Canes land IU center transfer Zach Carpenter

Advertisement
So many options with this OL for next year.

You can have Rivers move inside if you really want.

You can move Mauigoa to guard if you want.

McCoy looks like a possible starter.

Pancake is absurdly talented if he’s healthy.

I’m pretty confident one of the other 2023 kids is going to develop under this staff.

Bell is 6’8 330 and experienced.

Will be so fun to watch how the pieces fit this fall. We have probably 8 starters and most are versatile enough to play tackle or guard.
Kinsler is a PROBLEM

Kinsler might be the biggest human I've seen.

He held up ok against some of the big boys. A sack and two pressures against Michigan, a couple pressures against Ohio St, but overall that’s pretty good. He’s much better against the pass than in the run game, so he’ll have to improve there.

Let Mirabal refine some technique and he should be a-ok. Maybe not Matt Lee level, but more than good enough overall.

Welcome to the U.

I believe Matt Lee had a similiar situation at UCF. He graded much better as a pass protector then a run blocker. I'm trying to remember if it was his PFF ratings. Either way Matt Lee going to be missed. PFF has Matt Lee in the top 15 in ratings for centers while Zack rank 141

Glad we got Zack Carpenter, as I consider him an upgrade over Ryan Rodriquez

Advertisement
Anyone actually seen extensive film of this dude? The PFF breakdown by someone on Twitter was an incredible contradiction.

One author says this:

"With a 70.7, Carpenter does hold the second best run-blocking grade of any player on the team to have played at least 100 snaps on the offensive line in 2023. However, his PFF grade of 54.5 in pass protection is the second-worst, ahead of only fellow interior veteran Katic."

Yet, this is the actual graphic used:

220601F9-B08E-4730-BD8B-0F6D8EF8F84C.jpeg

Indicates he’s strong at pass blocking per that snapshot.

So, yeah. Anyway, this is one of the areas I believe we just tip our caps to Mario and Mirabal and look forward to the product.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I believe Matt Lee had a similiar situation at UCF. He graded much better as a pass protector then a run blocker. I'm trying to remember if it was his PFF ratings. Either way Matt Lee going to be missed. PFF has Matt Lee in the top 15 in ratings for centers while Zack rank 141

Glad we got Zack Carpenter, as I consider him an upgrade over Ryan Rodriquez
Dang 141. I know PFF isn't the end all but that's not too good...Hopefully he much better than that ranking

Advertisement
Back