Canes Hoops jumps to #3 in 2024 recruiting class with Jalil Bethea commitment

Advertisement
Shocked-then-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jalil has a very Isaiah Wong type of game in terms of creating his own shot off the dribble but with a more polished and consistent 3 point shot at this stage in his development compared to Zay. Jalil also takes on contact well when attacking the basket and is an elite finisher. You can always tell when a guy is NBA-caliber by how soft his touch/finishes are at the rim.

If I had to critique one part of his game, its that on catch-and-shoot 3 point shots, he dips the ball after the catch and then goes back up into his shot. He can get away with it in high school, but in college when you have a 6'8 SF closing out on you, that's getting tipped/blocked more often. Im sure shooting coaches at UM will work on cleaning up his shot mechanics to be more efficient on the release.

I love the direction our basketball program is headed in. It's such a well-run operation. Go Canes!

Someone needs to find the fountain of youth for Coach L. Need to buy him a few more years. It’s going to be a sad day when he hangs ‘em up.

And speaking of crootin’ rankings, wasn’t Darius Rice widely considered the number 1 prospect back in the late 90s? Maybe there weren’t formal rankings then to place him higher than Jalil.

Advertisement
Someone needs to find the fountain of youth for Coach L. Need to buy him a few more years. It’s going to be a sad day when he hangs ‘em up.

And speaking of crootin’ rankings, wasn’t Darius Rice widely considered the number 1 prospect back in the late 90s? Maybe there weren’t formal rankings then to place him higher than Jalil.
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure who you turn to after a legend like L hangs it up. Good thing is it doesn't seem like he has any plans to do that any time soon.

Advertisement
Jalil has a very Isaiah Wong type of game in terms of creating his own shot off the dribble but with a more polished and consistent 3 point shot at this stage in his development compared to Zay. Jalil also takes on contact well when attacking the basket and is an elite finisher. You can always tell when a guy is NBA-caliber by how soft his touch/finishes are at the rim.

If I had to critique one part of his game, its that on catch-and-shoot 3 point shots, he dips the ball after the catch and then goes back up into his shot. He can get away with it in high school, but in college when you have a 6'8 SF closing out on you, that's getting tipped/blocked more often. Im sure shooting coaches at UM will work on cleaning up his shot mechanics to be more efficient on the release.

I love the direction our basketball program is headed in. It's such a well-run operation. Go Canes!
Agreed on his form. Which is odd because off the dribble he shoots with the ball elevated. But with a year of college training and taking about 500 catch and shoots per day, that form will be corrected.

Rice was rated very, very high. No question

You will not find a finer coach in the nation then coach L that has his players best interest at heart.
His players love him and never want to let him down in there play.
Recruit’s see this glowing and want what L has that he wholeheartedly shares.

GOCANES
Coach L does have his players best interest at heart. He loves the U and is a great ambassador in promoting the U.

Advertisement
Back