Canes' Head to Durham for ACC Tournament

View as article
Advertisement
The whole reading comprehension insult was en vogue in the early 2000's. It doesn't carry much weight anymore. People use it when they can't figure out how to respond to a post.

You leave me no choice when you STILL continue to ignore what's said to you, and only respond to the parts that you're brain allows you to recognize. You either don't get the respect you deserve as a troll or you are stone cold crazy lol.

You leave me no choice when you STILL continue to ignore what's said to you, and only respond to the parts that you're brain allows you to recognize. You either don't get the respect you deserve as a troll or you are stone cold crazy lol.

Except that I exposed you for contradicting yourself in a matter of two posts.

Except that I exposed you for contradicting yourself in a matter of two posts.

There would be a contradiction if my argument was ever that our main problem under Morris is facilities. Hiring the right coach who will identify the right players is likely only possible if that person knows they'll receive support from the school to field a championship caliber team. Sure we can upgrade from Morris/DiMare with just about anyone, but cache will only continue sustaining us for so long. We'll have to catch up with everyone else like we finally have in football because Zack Collins and David Thompson aren't walking through that door, and even if they did they would be forced to hire outside help so they can receive adequate training.

Last edited:
Our demise can be attributed to the following:

Morris's dwindling motivation
Morris's contract extension and DiMare's promotion
Morris, DiMare and their poor recruiting
Morris and his poor decision making
Morris, DiMare and their poor coaching
Lazy and poor player development
Below average facilities (hertz crootin)
Expensive tuition / scholarship limitations
Adidas bats bro

Advertisement
OK so from top to bottom:

Our demise can be attributed to the following:

Morris's dwindling motivation - Done as of last night just after 11PM. Thank jeebus...even if it does lead us into the DiMare era/error.
Morris's contract extension and DiMare's promotion - Agreed, no getting away from the former and the latter is still TBD and not looking promising.
Morris, DiMare and their poor recruiting - Agreed, I think we're all in agreement on this no matter what else we bicker about.
Morris and his poor decision making - ^^^ Same.
Morris, DiMare and their poor coaching - ^^^ Same.
Lazy and poor player development - ^^^ Same.
Below average facilities (hertz crootin) - While I agree facilities should be upgraded with some of DiMare's tomato money, this is way down on the list where it belongs. It's not as big of a harbinger of doom as some have led us to believe.
Expensive tuition / scholarship limitations - Other private school programs that don't have the talent pool of S. Florida to pull from are doing just fine. This has been covered ad nauseum. I can be an issue, but there are ways to work around it.
Adidas bats bro - Ugh. Bats don't matter if we don't swing them or teach the guys to have the right approach at the plate. This doesn't even deserve to be on the list. Adidas bats are just fine. That being said, if part of our agreement with Adidas allowed us to look at DeMarini/LS/Easton, I wouldn't be against it - good to have options to keep Adidas honest about putting out great bats.

So...pretty much the first 6 things on that list, I think we can all agree upon within a good amount of reason. We all see those things as the most important problems to fix.

The last 3 are just reaches, and some folks use them as red herrings to distract from the core issues that caused our demise. They have some modicum of truth to them, but they aren't "the reason" for our demise, and some folks tend to play up their importance more than they should.

Look at it from this perspective - which is more likely to put us in the top 50 (just top 50) in the nation in hitting? A covered batting cage and cutting edge technology with our current players...or our current facilities with better coaching and recruiting better players? NOTE - *I'm not saying* this is an either-or proposition. We can improve facilities and recruiting both. But the more pressing issue is recruiting/developing our players at a higher level, not upgrading facilities. You even listed recruiting 3rd and development 6th on your list...both ahead of the facilities.

BWCD,

If we hire someone with great recruiting and developmental skills we'll be in business, but unless the school puts on the facade of being interested in competing for titles (see football) we'll continue to look like amateurs and no HC with a championship-level resume will want the job. Florida made O'Sullivan the highest paid HC and are about to build a brand new stadium. Maybe Miami finally gets that new snow cone machine it's been coveting.

Advertisement
BWCD,

If we hire someone with great recruiting and developmental skills we'll be in business, but unless the school puts on the facade of being interested in competing for titles (see football) we'll continue to look like amateurs and no HC with a championship-level resume will want the job. Florida made O'Sullivan the highest paid HC and are about to build a brand new stadium. Maybe Miami finally gets that new snow cone machine it's been coveting.
No need to resort to hyperbole - I agree that the facilities could be upgraded. I'm down for that, and I think DiMare ought to get his fam to foot the bill since he's now the HC.

I think where we disagree is that you're saying we aren't going to recruit/develop better because we don't have those new facilities. In my view, we can still get really good recruits AND develop them with what we have currently. Our current baseball recruiting feels like those years back during the Coker era when it got out that his staff was basically going off of the recruiting service rankings instead of our own evals and scouting.

Here's the kicker though...if we get the same recruits that gave us this year's ballclub, and our philosophy towards recruiting development doesn't change...BUT, we do end up getting these upgrades and we become one of the better programs in the nation with that...how much will our batting cages, videos, and analytics software actually improve us as a team if we're not getting the right players and teaching them the right way to begin with??? I think not much. All of those things are enhancement tools. It does no good if we don't use them the right way, and if we don't get the right players to begin with. The root of the problem is in getting the right guys in the door to begin with and developing them the right way.

Absolutely. But how do we recruit better? Improving the facilities can only help intrigue the right players to come here.

Let's look at the football team for example. They won 10 games last year and did it all without an Indoor Practice Facility. With a better QB, we probably could have made the CFP. Will the IPF opening this year make us better? A little, but not by much. It may save us some practice time but that's about it.

But look at what it has done and will do for recruiting. We signed the best class since 2008, and we are on pace for another top 10 recruiting class. Mark Richt can point to that building and say we have every resource to make you the best player you can be.

Highlands Christian Academy (1A Highschool in Deerfield Beach) has a better hitting facility than the University of Miami. Let that sink in.

The error in that line of thinking is that DiMare is missing out on guys and has to settle for lesser players since he doesn’t have a covered batting cage to sell. DiMare targets and gets exactly who he wants. He just isn’t very good at it because he’s a lazy recruiter who relies on Perfect Game and local travel ball coaches.

Florida turned the tables on us and became a perennial CWS contender with some of the most outdated facilities in college baseball. That happened because Sully is a beast in recruiting and knows what he’s doing as a head coach.

FYI, football recruiting improved because Mark Richt can sell ice to eskimos and because he knows how to sell the brand. The turnover chain has a bigger impact on recruiting the kid we want than the cottdam indoor practice facility.

The thinking that we get 100% of the recruits we target is absolutely incorrect.

I was last at UF in 2009 and attended a camp there. The baseball facility was much better than Miami's, and this is coming from a die hard Miami fan.

If you think the IPF isn't helping football recruiting then I can't help you.

Side note: Hope our guys get in the cage this weekend to start preparing for a turnaround season next year. Might want to bring a snorkel to the field though.

Advertisement
Oh geez. No one said he gets “100%” of who he wants. Quit doing the semantics thing. He has his list and he signs his list, and you know exactly what I mean.

Florida’s facilities are below average, yet Sully is the standard in college baseball. If their facilities weren’t below average, they wouldn’t need to spend $50 million on upgrades.

My god. No one said the IPF isn’t helping at all. The fact that you have to play word games tells me that you know you’re losing badly.

So cage work didn’t help all fall and winter for 2018, but Memorial Day weekend is the key for a successful 2019. Funny, though, we used to be playing games this time of year.

Miami makes the postseason for 44 straight years, including the #3 national seed in 2016. Longest NCAA streak in any sport through 2016.

Miami doesn't make the postseason in 2017: "How the &^%$ are we expected to compete with these facilities????"

Strong work, fellas. DannyBoy would be proud.

I hate to piggy back off of the gayters but I think we need to do what they did when the head coach hired 2 MLB scouts to be his assistants, truly know talent and how to develop it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back